Student support for this team.

Time to unify instead of dividing. What the Hawkeyes really need is some strong leadership from Barta and Co. Hawkeye basketball is a sleeping giant, Fran recognizes this but needs help. Put the Kansas players in Hawkeye uniforms and you won't be able to buy a ticket. There are more problems in our BB program than just the coaching, Barta needs to give Fran every advantage available to upgrade the program. We need Ihe Iowa Bankers and their support but we also need to look at what other SUCCESSFUL PROGRAMS are doing and make the necessary changes regardless of how painful they are. If there is enough people asking they will make the changes.

I wouldn't move the students, they have seat that are fine, heck they are better than the ones I pay $25 to go see a game.....What I would do is just let the students in free next year for the whole year. We are trying to build a fan base here, and we need the students. You create fans, by showing them it is both fun and worth it to go to the games. Get them emotionally involved with this team. Give them expectations for the next year. Look at what happend to football tickets sales this year when everyone expected the team to contend for the NC. If this team improves next year, then the following year we will have expectations, and the fans will come. This way when the fans EXPECT a good team in year 3 of Fran, they will both show up to watch, and pay again to watch this team.

Not a bad idea. And the economics can make sense as well. 250 students at $5 a pop = $1,250. 1000 students for free = 750 more chances at concession revenue, which means an average of only $1.67, less than the price of a soda. They could probably do better giving away student tickets next year than charging even a small amount to attract a small number of students.

Do it for 1 year, and make it known up front, so there's no expectations (or feelings of deception) for the following years.

Someone also wrote that it's difficult to get there because of bus routes. Make bus routes such that students are picked up across the river or by the old fieldhouse and dropped off at the door. And have buses ready at the end of the game to take them back. They need to lead the horse to water AND make him drink. If that means going beyond the norm, well, they've spent enough time sitting back doing nothing, that they need to go beyond the norm.

These aren't earth shattering ideas. I can't believe someone who gets paid can't come up with something better. But, the bottom line is they need to get more students there. If they extend the effort, then the students need to respond. It needs to be a collaborative effort, both from the program and the students; both are to blame and neither are to blame. It doesn't really matter, because it shouldn't being about who's right or wrong, but how things can get better.

If it means slightly displacing some season ticket holders, then so be it. They'll get past it, as well, since after all, it's for the good of the program. Who wouldn't be for that?

Two points:

The generation of students is quite different than 15-20 years ago. If teams don't win kids don't come........todays world is about immediate satisfaction and not much long term dedication.......this also helps explain the rising divorce rate, but thats another topic.

&

Football games are a very social event. The weather is generally better and the tailgating is really a big draw. BB just doesn't have the appeal unless the team is really good. I think it is sad that our wrestling team doesn't draw a lot more folks too, but it has to do with season and social "draw" in my opinion.

Two points:

One, you don't know what you're talking about. People don't support losing teams now, and they didn't in the past. Have you ever seen a picture of Kinnick in the 70's? Go to any games in the late 90's? I went to a game in '97 and huge sections of the north endzone were dominated by Illinois fans. Also, the divorce rate is not rising. It has been steadily falling for the last 30 years. Vauge and innaccurate buzz phrases about "the good ol' days" does not a point make.

&

Football also has the appeal of being an event that only happens 6 to 7 times a year, whereas the basketball team plays something like 15-20 home games. Also, building on your point about the weather and tailgating, unlike football, there is no atmosphere around Carver, which doesn't help attract anyone who may not have interest in a bad team.

I swear when Michigan placed those students around the benches,they were about the only people in the arena...but it seemed like it was packed and crazy.
They still do not draw that well,but every game looks like it is sold out on TV.
Drastic times call for drastic measures...we appreciate your support Mr. Banker,but I presume you want to see Iowa win at those games,and if moving up ten rows will lead to more wins,you will get more entertainment bang for your buck.
We are probably not talking more than 300 displaced individuals here...would the 300 make the sacrifice to bring success to the program? Build those suites and maybe many of those 300 would rather be up there with a cocktail and prime rib?...we need to make some radical moves to get this train a rolling.

Elvis, Knitting Lady, Banker, and Farmgirl's goat all sitting together ! PRICELESS

Hey, my goat would be lighting that place up. Even if you put some guy in black and gold overalls, a lycra body suit, an afro wig, a Hayden mustache and hat, and a giant cut out of Franny Mac as White Lightening, he wouldn't be nearly as pumped up as ******.

I swear when Michigan placed those students around the benches,they were about the only people in the arena...but it seemed like it was packed and crazy.
They still do not draw that well,but every game looks like it is sold out on TV.
Drastic times call for drastic measures...we appreciate your support Mr. Banker,but I presume you want to see Iowa win at those games,and if moving up ten rows will lead to more wins,you will get more entertainment bang for your buck.
We are probably not talking more than 300 displaced individuals here...would the 300 make the sacrifice to bring success to the program? Build those suites and maybe many of those 300 would rather be up there with a cocktail and prime rib?...we need to make some radical moves to get this train a rolling.

Amen. Let's go UIAD!

Latest posts