Stu Whitney's blog on Larson

Great, This guy Stu opens up a can of worms but won't let any of the worms out of the can. If he can't or won't give any details then why even attempt to write a story. The poster under his article who said he was just trying to cover his butt was right.

To read that and the responses, is to get the impression that Larson has long term issues. Any truth/substance to that?

This was my concern as well. It seems like Larson brings a lot of clutter with him.

Not to sound dumb, but what exactly in the comments has anything to do with anything. Lots of comment about how the writer would not hold back from sharing stuff from schools outside of Sioux Falls. Beyond that no one seems to know anything.

Not to sound dumb, but what exactly in the comments has anything to do with anything. Lots of comment about how the writer would not hold back from sharing stuff from schools outside of Sioux Falls. Beyond that no one seems to know anything.

The parts where someone hinted that Larson and his people tried to get the previous coach out of town as well as the other off the court trouble he has gotten in.

Don't put much stock in Stu Whitney's writings. If you read his stuff regularly (then you have a much higher pain threshhold than me), you will conclude he's just a pot-stirrer. You should assume he's regularly reading this message board to see if you're talking about him.

Cody Larson is a very talented kid and people haven't yet seen what he can do on a basketball court. The prior coach was criticized by lots of people who know something about basketball (I love to watch it...don't know the fine points) and I think some of the criticism was accurate. For example, couple years ago Larson's high school team included a very talented football linebacker (Preston Evans, playing very well for North Dakota State). The coach had Larson setting screens for the 6-1 Evans. To a fan like me with little knowledge about the fine points, I thought that didn't make a lot of sense. The prior coach went through several years with excellent talent and couldn't do much with it. The parents at that high school were pretty upset. I don't think it was "Larson's people" going after the coach. There were a lot of people going after the coach much like what happens in many small towns.

Larson's had his share of problems I suppose, but I don't think there's been anything that should scare off a school. A coach will just have to lay the law down and help the kid reach his full potential -- the potential is very good.

My connection? None. I am an SDSU fan...wish we could have gotten Larson. I live in a town which regularly plays SF Roosevelt in sports. We regularly beat the Roosevelt BB team and probably shouldn't--they have more talent. We have a better coach.

Don't let the rumor mill, Stu Whitney and the yo-yo's who write anonymous comments to a newspaper blog scare you off. Iowa's coach will have to have a serious talk with the kid to find out what's going on but this kid's got talent and he's not a monster.

Last edited:
It's probably nothing more than he got caught drinking....which we see where that lands you..right Anthony Tucker. I'd say let's not jump off the deep end...HS kids do stupid things we all did some of us didn't get caught others did...doesn't mean they are bad just means they are TEENAGERS! People need to chill.

The commenters have no idea what's going and just flapping their mouths. Cody is not a bad apple or a prima donna.

Hey Stormin I agree...could be pretty mundane...I know I'm not passing judgement on the kid. I grew up in a small town in Iowa...how much do you think there is to do in BFE.

Don't put much stock in Stu Whitney's writings. If you read his stuff regularly (then you have a much higher pain threshhold than me), you will conclude he's just a pot-stirrer. You should assume he's regularly reading this message board to see if you're talking about him.

Cody Larson is a very talented kid and people haven't yet seen what he can do on a basketball court. The prior coach was criticized by lots of people who know something about basketball (I love to watch it...don't know the fine points) and I think some of the criticism was accurate. For example, couple years ago Larson's high school team included a very talented football linebacker (Preston Evans, playing very well for North Dakota State). The coach had Larson setting screens for the 6-1 Evans. To a fan like me with little knowledge about the fine points, I thought that didn't make a lot of sense. The prior coach went through several years with excellent talent and couldn't do much with it. The parents at that high school were pretty upset. I don't think it was "Larson's people" going after the coach. There were a lot of people going after the coach much like what happens in many small towns.

Larson's had his share of problems I suppose, but I don't think there's been anything that should scare off a school. A coach will just have to lay the law down and help the kid reach his full potential -- the potential is very good.

My connection? None. I am an SDSU fan...wish we could have gotten Larson. I live in a town which regularly plays SF Roosevelt in sports. We regularly beat the Roosevelt BB team and probably shouldn't--they have more talent. We have a better coach.

Don't let the rumor mill, Stu Whitney and the yo-yo's who write anonymous comments to a newspaper blog scare you off. Iowa's coach will have to have a serious talk with the kid to find out what's going on but this kid's got talent and he's not a monster.

Thanks for the first post...hopefully it eases some tensions around here.

Thanks for the first post...hopefully it eases some tensions around here.

+ 1, thank you very much for chiming in on this issue. I always do feel a bit uneasy when talented teams underachieve like his seems to be doing. But I also understand that some high school coaches are just downright awful.

Latest posts