Strictly a hypothetical ... 5 unbeatens

I get it is a very unlikely scenario ... but possible.

Iowa (13-0) Big 10
LSU (13-0) SEC
Baylor (12-0) Big 12
Clemson (13-0) ACC
Utah (13-0) Pac 12

What team wouldn't make the 4 team playoff?

Baylor might have two quality wins maybe three if you count Oklahoma, Okie State and TCU?? Is that quality enough to pass over a 13-0 Iowa? It would be Baylor's own fault for their weak non-con schedule. I still believe both Baylor and TCU will end up with one loss.

TCU doesn't have the defense (or whatever they play when the other team has the ball) to go undefeated.

Your comment makes no sense since you stated it as a fact, and it is impossible for it to be such at this date.

Toledo beat 2 power 5 teams, so I think they're in, along with Baylor/TCU and Iowa, all teams that beat Iowa State. Florida State is the last team of the other 3 to beat ISU, so I'll go with those 4 teams, since the CFB world does revolve around Iowa State.

What if Alabama wins out and the rest of the undefeated scenario plays out? Who gets left out to make room for the mighty one loss SEC team? No way they have a playoff with Baylor, Clemson, Utah, and Iowa in that situation. I would love it though.

There are so many "what if's" right now and it's great. Seriously this is just fun. Here's another one ... what if Iowa goes undefeated but doesn't make the 4 team playoff (again ... not likely but play along). Iowa goes to a bowl game, wins and finishes the season 14-0 but is not part of the National Championship discussion.

Part of me just wants to see the anarchy!

Iowa... we are currently ranked below all those teams and none of the teams left on the schedule would be an impressive enough win to jump them in the rankings.

The only chance we would have to really be in the discussion were Ohio State to run the table and look impressive in doing so and then beat them handily in the B1G championship... then maybe we get a look?

You just completely destroyed your own argument.

To go 13-0 with 13 being OSU (the defending national champ and also likely undefeated) by any margin is better than any win the rest have besides LSU maybe.

Big ten champ at 13-0 = in. Period.

I love what if threads like this. When someone starts a "if this plays out, what do you think would happen" thread, you're supposed to just assume the parameters as fact and discuss. What's the point of joining in the discussion just to say it won't happen? If the idea of it happening is too far fetched for you to discuss, why not just move on? I'm going to keep dreaming of possibilities and discussing them because for me that's half the fun.

I love what if threads like this. When someone starts a "if this plays out, what do you think would happen" thread, you're supposed to just assume the parameters as fact and discuss. What's the point of joining in the discussion just to say it won't happen? If the idea of it happening is too far fetched for you to discuss, why not just move on? I'm going to keep dreaming of possibilities and discussing them because for me that's half the fun.

It really speaks to someone's basic comprehension if the subject line contains the word "hypothetical", and then dumb people post as if they don't know the meaning of the word. Or worse, can't follow the simplest of instructions. These same people vote. Which explains the mess we're in IMO.

To go 13-0 with 13 being OSU (the defending national champ and also likely undefeated) by any margin is better than any win the rest have besides LSU maybe.

He destroyed his own arguement because after looking at the 4 other teams that would be undefeated, he changed his stance. I did the same thing. It's easy to say the Big 10 champ is for sure in. But when you actually factor in the situation that the OP layed out, it's hard to say who they would jump with certainty.

It really speaks to someone's basic comprehension if the subject line contains the word "hypothetical", and then dumb people post as if they don't know the meaning of the word. Or worse, can't follow the simplest of instructions. These same people vote. Which explains the mess we're in IMO.

You have been here a long time so you know that no thread stay on topic for more than 3 posts.

I'm sure dopes like you think only people who vote the same as you are educated voters. Sieg Heil Hawkdawg

EDIT: Looks like I caught this post before you deleted it.

Is Utah still undefeated? They're a dog against USC which goes to show how hilariously overrated USC always is post-PC.

Iowa because of their SOS. The national media is already laying the case for this. Even though as Jon pointed out in this story, Iowa's SOS is better than most in the current top 10.

I believe that's only true for games played to date. Baylor still has to play Okie State and TCU (both on the road) and Oklahoma. Same with TCU (@ OSU and Oklahoma, home against Baylor). Most of the teams also in the discussion still have their toughest games ahead of them. Utah has some solid tests coming up and already owns an impressive resume. LSU has three games against teams currently ranked still on the schedule. Iowa's are in the rearview mirror, save for the conference title game.

It would be the best individual win, but other teams might end up with other really good wins that even it out. LSU likely won't have a win as good as one against OSU would be, but if they go undefeated, they'll have beaten Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss St., Texas A&M and Florida, with a couple of those coming on the road, plus another win against Florida in the SEC title game. Getting through that gauntlet at 13-0 would absolutely trump beating Pitt, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Ohio State, even if Iowa's win over OSU would be the best of any between the two teams.

Clemson would be the one most likely to get left out in favor of Iowa. They'd have wins over Notre Dame and Florida State, albeit both coming at home, on the road against Miami and (likely) a victory over Pitt in the ACC title game. Pitt would obviously be a wash, and I think comparing Miami/ND/FSU to Wisc/NW/OSU would be pretty close, too. But Utah and LSU would both have clearly better resumes, and TCU/Baylor would have maybe a slightly better one.

What if Alabama wins out and the rest of the undefeated scenario plays out? Who gets left out to make room for the mighty one loss SEC team? No way they have a playoff with Baylor, Clemson, Utah, and Iowa in that situation. I would love it though.

Yes, a 1 loss SEC team will be in no matter how the other conference champ's records end up.

I think the best to hope for, if Iowa ends up with a dream regular season, is for the ACC or Pac12 champ to end up with 2 losses. If the Skank12 once again ends up with a 1 loss team i.e. Baylor, there would be real pressure to include them this year, especially since their conference sos is so skewed.

A lot of variables. 1st off how would the SOS end up? Right now Iowa and Pitts OOC schedules are similar regarding record. Does Pitt beat ND? Do they make it to the ACC championship game? Does wisconsin and NW finish in the top 25?

The best thing that could happen for Iowa is for Pitt to keep winning and for ISU to get to 6 wins.

Not sure how many are on the "committee", and we don't have a whole lot of previous seasons to go off of (1), but I gotta believe having Barry Alverez on it will at least enlighten the others at the table about Iowa.

We need a little help to bring the undefeated pool down a couple of teams, and let them be debating which 1-loss team makes it in.

Latest posts