Strictly a hypothetical ... 5 unbeatens

khock

I get it is a very unlikely scenario ... but possible.

Iowa (13-0) Big 10
LSU (13-0) SEC
Baylor (12-0) Big 12
Clemson (13-0) ACC
Utah (13-0) Pac 12

What team wouldn't make the 4 team playoff?

Iowa because of their SOS. The national media is already laying the case for this. Even though as Jon pointed out in this story, Iowa's SOS is better than most in the current top 10.

Iowa... we are currently ranked below all those teams and none of the teams left on the schedule would be an impressive enough win to jump them in the rankings.

The only chance we would have to really be in the discussion were Ohio State to run the table and look impressive in doing so and then beat them handily in the B1G championship... then maybe we get a look?

The most undefeated P5 teams I ever remember is 3, the year Aubrun was left out of the NC game. No way do 5 teams go undefeated.

Baylor...now that there is a playoff, get a Championship game, otherwise, get left out.

One true champ, my asss.

It is certainly interesting to think about. Furthermore, by taking our bias out of it, it breaks down like this with the undefeateds:

Big 12: Baylor or TCU or OSU
Big 10: Iowa, OSU or MSU
SEC: LSU
Pac 12: Utah
ACC: FSU or Clemson

That's it. I just don't see them taking anyone with one loss over an undefeated power 5 team. No way. So the thing about the playoffs, they don't start at the end of December, they already started.

As far as priority goes, if LSU makes it unbeaten they would be in. With all the love of offense and no defense with the big 12 the winner there is in. Utah is in if they make it. Obviously OSU and MSU would be in. But depending on what happens to Notre Dame, Iowa will probably have a better resume than Clemson. They only have to play 2 teams that had a prayer of being ranked, both at home. Plus maybe Pitt in the championship game which we beat. Not counting Pitt, we would have played 3, 2 on the road and one neutral.

it would depend a lot on who Iowa plays in the CCG and how much they beat the other team. If Iowa beats a 12-0 OSU team by a score of 55-0, I think Iowa is in.

If they beat a 10-2 Mich team by a score of 17-16, then maybe not.

In your scenario, Iowa would probably be the odd team out.

But your scenario is completely unlikely.

The most undefeated P5 teams I ever remember is 3, the year Aubrun was left out of the NC game. No way do 5 teams go undefeated.

Its a trick question because the P5 used to include the 6 different BCS conferences. In which case there was another year when Big East champion Cincinnati went undefeated and did not make the BCS NCG.

Your point is still valid though. We have never had 5 undefeated P5 champions.

That wasn't the question . . . short yellow bus?

First day on a discussion board?

dis·cus·sion
dəˈskəSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: discussion
the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

Seems like last year with the playoff committee sent a message that non-conference schedules are a strong consideration in who is in and who is out. Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly but if that holds true I would think that Baylor will have that same argument used against them plus they don't play an CCG in the Big 12. One less quality win opportunity.

The fact they and/or TCU was left out last year actually probably helps them this year if either goes undefeated. The outcry from the Big 12 will be HUGE if they are shutout again this year.

Oh ... and as the thread title says ... this is very hypothetical but still interesting to think about possible scenarios. No one can honestly say they expected Iowa to be in the discussion this late in the season and I for one am just enjoying the ride!

Iowa (13-0) Big 10
LSU (13-0) SEC
Baylor (12-0) Big 12
Clemson (13-0) ACC
Utah (13-0) Pac 12

Not Iowa. Jim Delany would see to that. In this scenario, I'd say, sorry Clemson.

Iowa (13-0) Big 10
LSU (13-0) SEC
Baylor (12-0) Big 12
Clemson (13-0) ACC
Utah (13-0) Pac 12

That's when we see the movement to an 8 team playoff in the future.

Latest posts