Story: Why a 6th Year Made Sense for Jordan Bohannon

Sorry but I don't see it. Nothing against Jordan He had a nice run at Iowa. But coming back?
First of all this is not a championship caliber team he is coming back for, really not much of a chance to make the dance. Another year of advancing his education? doesn't seem so as he apparently has to do some quick work on classes. Another year to prepare for the next step? Really the next step is the real world probably.
Sure it is fun to play college ball and next year there may be fans but there just seems to be a time to move on. I just dont see a big advantage for Jordan or the team

Sorry but I don't see it. Nothing against Jordan He had a nice run at Iowa. But coming back?
First of all this is not a championship caliber team he is coming back for, really not much of a chance to make the dance. Another year of advancing his education? doesn't seem so as he apparently has to do some quick work on classes. Another year to prepare for the next step? Really the next step is the real world probably.
Sure it is fun to play college ball and next year there may be fans but there just seems to be a time to move on. I just dont see a big advantage for Jordan or the team
Best news I’ve heard all day. You’re typically way off so the NCAA is almost a lock.

He was all but gone until CJ left. More importantly, Fran wants him back and that is the only thing that really matters .

You must not understand the deeper part of what's going on here with the roster and portal.

Iowa is minus a guard now that Fredrick bounced. That's a hole that you can't just leave empty; it just doesn't work that way. One other thing a lot of people aren't thinking about is that Bohannon coming back might be a pretty good indicator that JW is leaving. Bohannon, Fredrick, and Wieskamp played a combined 2,478 minutes last year (Bohannon had 905).

So...Iowa was going to pick up a guard somewhere regardless. If you look at the available players, there's no one even close to Bohannon's output whether you like him or you're sick of him. Plus, Bohannon is a known commodity.

Tell me where you're going to find two (possibly three) other guys on our current roster to replace all those minutes and still produce at the same level.

I get that people are getting tired of Bohannon and in some ways I am too, but business is business and picking up a guy like him when people are jumping ship not only makes sense, it's just a plain old no-brainer.

As long as JBo is used the way I want him to be used, I have no problem with him coming back.

Yes. If he is a shooting guard and the offense goes through someone else and looks to get him the ball for wide open looks as a result of great screens and movement without the ball, I'm all for it. If he's starting at point again, FML.

Yes. If he is a shooting guard and the offense goes through someone else and looks to get him the ball for wide open looks as a result of great screens and movement without the ball, I'm all for it. If he's starting at point again, FML.
In his interview with Leistikow he said he doesn't want to take away Toussaint's minutes and that the plan for him is to be at the 2

Him coming back is due to a combination of things.

1 He'd like to. He just flat out wants to so there's that.

2. Fran wanted him back he literally began recruiting him to do so and that was largely due to...

3 CJ Fredrick leaving. Tough replacing a guy like that even with the portal how it is. Iowa wasn't going to find anyone nearly as good at playing that role as JBo can. This roster minus CJF would be really lacking in the 3 pt shooting department if JBo didn't come back. Shooters like him don't grow on trees

4 His teammates want him back. Since he'll be playing the 2 mostly that hands the reigns to JT for the PG spot. I think that'll be good for all involved. Still a lot of mins to be had for Perkins and Uliss without them having to play the bulk of the mins with a ton of pressure. If they play well then I suspect we'll see less of Connor. Or he'll have to backup his brother who I think will be playing significantly more too.

All in all JBo coming back is a good thing for him and the team. I have no problem rooting for him to keep doing what he loves. So good for him and good on the NCAA (for a change) for making it possible.

Before CJ hit the portal, I vehemently wanted JBO to ride off into the sunset. Since CJ abandoned ship, I just as vehemently wanted him to come back.

From what I have read, I think he and Fran went through similar machinations.

He is a very serviceable replacement for CJ at the 2. I think some people forget how great of a scorer he was he first two years on campus and for that little 10 game stretch 2 years ago. Last year he deferred a lot as a scorer and generally did not find a rhythym most of the year. I believe this year, as a go to scorer, he will hunt good shots and score 12-15 good points a game. He will have a number of 20+ games.

Also, I will posit that his defense is not as bad as this board points it out to be. Yes, I watched the games and saw him beat of the dribble by quicker guards. That said, the whole starting line-up with the possible exception of CJ was below average defenders (Conner is a good defender, but he was undersized at the 4). We just had a bad starting defense and bad defense means bad help defense.

With JT, (Patrick/Conner (one will start, not both), Keegan, and Flip as the other starters, I believe they can help hide some of Jordan's athletic deficiencies because they are good defenders and the team will be all around better defensively and at help defense. And, Jordan is not athletic, but he is crafty. He will hold his own.

So, JBO SHOULD be better on offense and defense this year. Optimistic viewpoint!!

In his interview with Leistikow he said he doesn't want to take away Toussaint's minutes and that the plan for him is to be at the 2

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Let's hope Fran doesn't take JT away from point if he has 3 turnovers before the first TV timeout of some game.

Except that's not for Jordan to worry about.

It's for Fran to worry about.

If Joe T repeats the first two thirds of last season I don't want him on the floor in any role. If he builds on what he did from mid February to the end of the season, different story.

Fran will put the point guard on the floor that he feels gives him the best chance to win. If it's JBo, that's tough rocks for Toussaint.

Also, I will posit that his defense is not as bad as this board points it out to be. Yes, I watched the games and saw him beat of the dribble by quicker guards. That said, the whole starting line-up with the possible exception of CJ was below average defenders (Conner is a good defender, but he was undersized at the 4). We just had a bad starting defense and bad defense means bad help defense.

With JT, (Patrick/Conner (one will start, not both), Keegan, and Flip as the other starters, I believe they can help hide some of Jordan's athletic deficiencies because they are good defenders and the team will be all around better defensively and at help defense. And, Jordan is not athletic, but he is crafty. He will hold his own.

So, JBO SHOULD be better on offense and defense this year. Optimistic viewpoint!!
If Wieskamp leaves, both McCaffreys will be starting. And Pat may be the player who makes the biggest quantum leap on the team.

If Wieskamp leaves, both McCaffreys will be starting. And Pat may be the player who makes the biggest quantum leap on the team.

Where is Conner starting at? Is he starting over his brother? He isn't starting over Keegan at the 4. The most vulnerable spot is the point...are you saying Conner is the starter there?

Where is Conner starting at? Is he starting over his brother? He isn't starting over Keegan at the 4. The most vulnerable spot is the point...are you saying Conner is the starter there?
Does Connor get the two and Patrick the three? Will Connor be fully recovered from his hip procedure?

I can't picture any scenario where Patrick doesn't start. He brings so much versatility and if he can make the next step forward he can be Jarrod Uthoff.

If Joe T repeats the first two thirds of last season I don't want him on the floor in any role. If he builds on what he did from mid February to the end of the season, different story.
Totally agreed - Joe was, for me, perhaps the best late season surprise. He was a completely different player at the end of the year than what he showed me at mid season. Obviously, he needs to show it wasn't a fluke. Personally, I don't think it was a fluke because it seemed like the game was slowing down for him. That tends to be something that "sticks", as opposed to something like a guy who can't throw it in the ocean suddenly starting to hit everything. That's more likely to be flukey.

I think Joe's progression, ironically, went kind of unnoticed by the good sized segment of the fan base that has been head over heels with Joe from day 1, wanted him starting, etc. He just wasn't ready for more, IMO. The way he finished last season, I am definitely comfortable seeing him try an increased role.

I can't picture any scenario where Patrick doesn't start. He brings so much versatility and if he can make the next step forward he can be Jarrod Uthoff.

I like what Patrick brings to the team and am rooting for him to make a giant leap forward as much as the next guy but, to my recollection, Uthoff was at no point as raw as what I saw from Patrick last year.

I mean, *maybe* Patrick has that kind of upside, but I for one certainly need to see more before I'm ready for that kind of assessment. Uthoff was a machine - a swiss army knife on the offensive end, for sure. Patrick showed me great athleticism and energy, but has some serious skill work to do to get near a Uthoff level.