Story: Remembering Magical Iowa Run in '86-87

This was the first season I remember with any kind of clarity. It's the season that made me the Hawkeye fan I am today. Greatest Iowa team of my lifetime and I'll always love BJ, Roy and Ed.

But... I'm also kind of tired of living in 1987. It's long past time for Iowa to put together another magical season and create some new fond memories.

But... I'm also kind of tired of living in 1987. It's long past time for Iowa to put together another magical season and create some new fond memories.
Totally different environment. Not an excuse, it's just the way it is.

Superstardom starts with year-round elementary school age AAU schedules, and keeps on ratcheting up from there. Iowa isn't in the running for these players. The gap between the top 15 basketball schools and everyone else is light years bigger than what it was in the 80s. There's a reason why Iowa doesn't crack the top 60 in recruiting and it isn't Fran's fault. How to you compete with the one-and-done factory schools of today's age? Hell we had the best player in basketball two years in a row, a Wooden consideree right now, and we can't even come close to placing in our own conference, let a lone making it past the 2nd day of the tournament because we can't get anyone to put around those players. Leading scorer in all of P6 basketball and we're currently debating on this board whether we'll make the dance.

A magical season was possible in the 80s because the playing field was a lot more level than it is now. It ain't possible anymore and won't ever be.

Totally different environment. Not an excuse, it's just the way it is.

Superstardom starts at year round elementary school age AAU schedules and keeps on ratcheting up from there. Iowa isn't in the running for these players. The gap between the top 15 basketball schools and everyone else is light years bigger than what it was in the 80s. There's a reason why Iowa doesn't crack the top 60 in recruiting and it isn't Fran's fault. How to you compete with the one-and-done factory schools of today's age? Hell we had the best player in basketball two years in a row, a Wooden consideree right now, and we can't even come close to placing in our own conference, let a lone making it past the 2nd day of the tournament because we can't get anyone to put around those players. Leading scorer in all of P6 basketball and we're currently debating on this board whether we'll make the dance.

A magical season was possible in the 80s because the playing field was a lot more level than it is now. It ain't possible anymore and won't ever be.

You sure know how to inspire hope and reason for excitement in a fan base, Fry.

Schools like Butler and Wisconsin (with the right coaches) can make it to back to back title games and Final Fours but I'm to believe that this, right here, is Iowa's ceiling? Being blown out in the 2nd round? Even if the team is good enough to get a 2 seed? I just find it hard to accept that it's impossible for Iowa to ever make an Elite 8 ever again.

Last edited:
That Iowa team had what every NBA team strives to get to win, a superstar trio. Horton, Marble and Armstrong were 3 of the best players in the country. That team has a magical season in any season.

We all saw how good this team was especially in the fast break and the pressure defense. I saw them win the game at Drake and the score was way closer than the game. I hadnt seen an Iowa team or many teams move the ball up the floor that quickly since Miller's 1970 squad.

Latest posts