STORY: Luka Garza's Scoring Prowess Ranks Among Best in Hawkeye History

good article, it brougth back lots of memories.

I remember 'Stick' Vidnovic, it was good reading his perspective, he was part of some great Hawkeye BB.

I was a high school senior in 69-70 and watched that team win the title, JJ and the Dealers. I was a freshman at Iowa that next year when Freddy Brown carried a not very good Iowa team and Dick Schultz took over for Ralph Miller.

So now we know we have a 20 point club!

Luka is really taking his place up there in the rafters of opt Hawkeye BB players. It's really been pretty unbelievable. I heard his dad, Frank, interviewed this morning on KXNO and it was good. He talked not only how hard Luka worked over the summer but how he also worked to visualize being a leader on the team. He also talked about the peacock.

Great article, great memories. My earliest was watching Don Nelson dominate the Goofers at the barn in Minneapolis. Had season ticks for the 6 Pack and Ralph Miller. Saw Sky King and Lute with a season tick. Sam Williams at 6’3” may have been the best bb player I have ever seen. He would turn much bigger guys knees into jelly around the basket. I remember Dave Gunther mainly because I played against his younger brother, Steve. We beat LeMars by 2 points on their floor when I was a senior in HS at Central Lyon.

I really hope he comes back next season. He could very realistically become our all time leading scorer and also one of the top rebounders.

JBo sent out a text yesterday saying Luka is coming back.

But in the KXNO radio inteview Frank said that Luka has a Board of Directors that have always sat down and given advice on his career. He didn't say exactly who the Board members are but you could guess family, friends, coaches. They will take everythiing into account and decide then.

Frank did say in the interview that when Luka signed that he told Fran they expected to come to Iowa and win a national title!! Could that be a realistic goal for next year? Mayhaps........

But in the KXNO radio inteview Frank said that Luka has a Board of Directors that have always sat down and given advice on his career. He didn't say exactly who the Board members are but you could guess family, friends, coaches. They will take everythiing into account and decide then.

Frank did say in the interview that when Luka signed that he told Fran they expected to come to Iowa and win a national title!! Could that be a realistic goal for next year? Mayhaps........
I don't see the text. What context was it in?

Would love to see Luka come back for an encore season especially with all the players he would have around him. A run to the Final Four would be in their future. Would like nothing better than to hang a National Championship banner in CHA with a retired #55 hanging in the rafters.

We appreciate Rick Brown for writing the story. He lived through a lot of Hawkeye history and offers a unique perspective.

I have been following him for years. Really glad he is on board with HN. The history lesson brought back so many memories!

From the article:

“They talk about all these assists everyone gives him, “ said Vidnovic, who rarely misses a home game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. “They bounce it into him and he goes into three guys who hack and hold him and he still makes it. And his footwork is unbelievable.

Luka's first season at Iowa, his footwork was the aspect that needed the most improvement. Everything else was there and one could see the potential

His Heart and Toughness were obvious. He would not back down to anyone. When Purdue center Haas smashed him in the face viciously. Blood all over the place, Luka came back within minutes of the injury and continued to play Hard

You couldn't keep him off the floor and still can't

Luka is virtually unstoppable, and if he comes back we are certainly Final Four bound

And within a couple of game of a National Championship

:cool:

Hopefully, Iowa will win a few more games this conference season and he will get national recognition. They were fortunate the other night at Minnesota.

Hopefully, Iowa will win a few more games this conference season and he will get national recognition. They were fortunate the other night at Minnesota.
He is already getting national recognition and Iowa is tied for third in a conference that will probably send ten teams to the dance.

Iowa executed on both ends in the last five minutes of the Minnesota game and had a potentially critical call go against them. They were also shorthanded and playing a team coming off a seven day bye.

I don't see where much fortune was involved. Bo Ryan and Tom Izzo have probably won a third of their career road conference games in the same manner. We're just not used to seeing Iowa teams do it that way.

Next year? I’ve been under the assumption that was Luka’s plan for this year. He’s playing like a man on a mission...every second of every game.

Latest posts