STORY: Hawkeyes Miss Out on Key Recruit Xavier Foster

At least Foster and his parents have their head in the right place. Didn’t see anything mentioned about actually going to school/academics. Next.

Wish the kid luck. If he didn’t go to the Hawks at least he stayed in state. We’ll be alright. We got this far without him.

Wish he would have picked Iowa, but I can understand his decision. If you really compare the two programs, Iowa State looks better to recruits (at least ones that don't have a family connection to the Hawks).

ISU has had more success on the court, winning Big 12 tournaments, while Iowa usually gets bounced in the first round.

Their arena is more lively, and even has a national nickname with "Hilton Magic"

They have sent more players into the NBA.

Finally, the ISU program just seems more stable. Iowa seems to always have some sort of drama (Fran getting suspended, controversy with the play by play announcer, etc.)

It is what it is. Iowa basketball and football are mid-tier programs in their conference and that’s not going to change. As Iowa fans we are relegated to just enjoying good effort by mostly three star athletes. A few will play professionally but the grave majority will not. That’s really typical of most schools. So Iowa will be your typical middle of conference program year in and year out.

The powers that be have made their minds up and that is just fine with them. Both coaches have it made. Meow, meow, meow says the fat cats named Kirk, Fran, and Barta.

Wish he would have picked Iowa, but I can understand his decision. If you really compare the two programs, Iowa State looks better to recruits (at least ones that don't have a family connection to the Hawks).

ISU has had more success on the court, winning Big 12 tournaments, while Iowa usually gets bounced in the first round.

Their arena is more lively, and even has a national nickname with "Hilton Magic"

Finally, the ISU program just seems more stable. Iowa seems to always have some sort of drama (Fran getting suspended, controversy with the play by play announcer, etc.)

Bingo! Glad someone else sees this reality. Iowa, is a mid-tier power 5 conference team. Nothing will change that anytime soon. Barta is happy with where Iowa is at.

Bingo! Glad someone else sees this reality. Iowa, is a mid-tier power 5 conference team. Nothing will change that anytime soon. Barta is happy with where Iowa is at.

Lol, you could have replied to my comment as well. Just above your comment.

If you want to develop into a top level NBA player and make a run a final four, would you pick Iowa? Really?

1% of this level of kid think about academics.

If you want to develop into a top level NBA player and make a run a final four, would you pick Iowa? Really?

1% of this level of kid think about academics.

Well if the player wants to do that he wouldn't pick ISU either. He'd pick Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc.

From what I was able to find, Xavier Foster is the first Iowa product to commit to ISU on scholarship since Brady Ernst in the '15 class. And those two are the only in-state high school players to commit to the Cyclones since the '10 class.

I think his dad is disappointed. The way he added "I guess" to the end of that comment about feeling more comfortable in Ames makes it sound that way. I know if my son picked Iowa I would say "he felt more comfortable in Iowa City" and if picked ISU I would say "he felt more comfortable in Ames, I guess". Subtle difference, but think about it, its true.

If I wanted to be on the best team and have the best chance of going to the NBA I would go to ISU as well. Easy choice at this point in time for any big name recruit.

From what I was able to find, Xavier Foster is the first Iowa product to commit to ISU on scholarship since Brady Ernst in the '15 class. And those two are the only in-state high school players to commit to the Cyclones since the '10 class.
The Brady Ernst thing certainly worked out well....

I think it's far from a given that ISU will be a better program over the next 4 years. Especially if you take Foster out of the equation.

I don't know who that 2010 recruit was. Honestly it was Ernst, who was a signing in July basically to help fill out the roster, then the last one on scholarship before that was LA Pomlee who was part of one of the worst recruiting classes in ISU history. The dearth of Iowans recruited to ISU, and not only that Iowans who actually contribute is pretty amazing all told.

Ernst: Transferred out after FR year, way over his head.
LA Pomlee: Same.
Clayton Vette: Same.
Ross Marsden: Quit basketball to play club baseball at ISU.
Haluska before that? I mean that's over 15 years ago.

Latest posts