STORY: Hawkeyes Address Comments from Gary Dolphin

First thing that comes to mind when I think of Adam Woodbury is ninja. If the average man tried to poke a guy in the eye at game speed, he would probably get his chin. But not ninjas like woody.
Does this give new meaning to the common athletic phrase "hand-eye coordination"?

On a serious note, eye injuries are no joke. They end careers and alter lifestyles. I could see a day in the future while children playing basketball are required to wear protective goggles clear up to the high school level at minimum

I came within an inch of losing an eye in a car wreck in Iowa City when I was twenty, right where highway 6 curves into that intersection with Riverside Drive near Hillcrest Residence Hall. We didn't quite negotiate the curve. We hit a pole and ended up straddling the retaining wall.

I was lucky. As it was my eye socket swelled shut for a week. Eye injuries are not a joke.

Announcers at blue blood schools say worse things about their players on the air. Fran is an overly sensitive person with an entitled attitude, and Gary Barta needs to take several public relation classes.
How about many manyPR courses? Not o-line variety either.Ptc tonite Jbo.

I wish the Iowa media would get after the athletic program. Build off what Dolphin said and turn this into an indictment of the entire athletic program.

Oh wait, I forgot, its Iowa. Cant make waves. Or go after any of the untouchables.

Kudos to @Robowe for catching this earlier. Apparently, the team hasn't moved on...

11-30-2018-10-20-49-AM.jpg

I have explained in about 461 posts Wisconsin fans don't think much of Fran as a coach or a person. I live the damn state. I've attended Iowa- Wisconsin games at the Kohl. It's asking for trouble from the get go.

Is it possible that the fans were fine upstanding people just happy to have the privilege of being Dolphin's guests a game? Absolutely. But you never know. One thing for sure. If I were sitting next to Kelli Ryan or Michelle Gard at the Kohl Center I would be on my best behavior. Then again I respect Bo and Greg as coaches.

As I mentioned in another thread, apparently the story got a life of its' own. According to Todd Brommelkamp on his radio show yesterday, the 4 fans were cops from Dubuque. One was from Wisconsin and wore Wisconsin gear to the game. Margaret was not happy with the Wisconsin gear in the Iowa friends and family section (think Elaine Benes with the Orioles hat in the Yankee box seats in the episode of Seinfeld).

If Wisconsin comes in and spanks us, good luck trying to explain that the incident wasn't a distraction to the team.

Barta is going to talk to the media pregame of the B1G opener to discuss further incidents of discontent?

Only Barta. Only Iowa.

Prepare for...

team loses to Wisconsin..
starts slipping downhill...
blames it on the Dolphin fiasco...

on a side note. Pretty stupid of Dolph to ask for those tickets and then give them to Wisconsin fans. That's worse than his on-air gaffe.

Prepare for...

team loses to Wisconsin..
starts slipping downhill...
blames it on the Dolphin fiasco...

on a side note. Pretty stupid of Dolph to ask for those tickets and then give them to Wisconsin fans. That's worse than his on-air gaffe.

2018 BB "the broadcast" = 2010 FB "Wisconsin Fake Punt"

Both will be labeled fulcrums regarding the respective program's slide.

As I mentioned in another thread, apparently the story got a life of its' own. According to Todd Brommelkamp on his radio show yesterday, the 4 fans were cops from Dubuque. One was from Wisconsin and wore Wisconsin gear to the game. Margaret was not happy with the Wisconsin gear in the Iowa friends and family section (think Elaine Benes with the Orioles hat in the Yankee box seats in the episode of Seinfeld).

Fran once wore a Phillies jersey when he threw out the first pitch at Wrigley Field....

I have never been harassed for weaing Iowa gear at the Kohl Center. Then again I have never sat in the opposing team's family section. If I see Wisconsin play someone other than Iowa, as I have done half a dozen times, I will skip the Hawkeye gear.

Everyone seems to think Dolph is entitled to his own 2 cents on things right? Well sure he is. But but but who is he employed by and what is his job? He's the official/unofficial face/voice of the whole program in some ways right? Well due to that fact the school can then determine the way in which they want to be represented. Dolph represents Iowa as a public personality. The school has every right to do what they did. And if Dolph don't like it.... Each program out there can give whatever amount of rope they want to for something like this. It's too bad that there seems to be a civil war of sorts between Dolph and Fran. We can all criticize Fran for things that are fair. But when he's sticking up for Dailey or any of his players he's more than within his right to do so and I can't be on any other side of it than that.
Dolph isn't Zabel. Far from it. He's someone that I'd grown tired of listening to back when I was a teenager and I'm almost 40 now. I wish he'd retire and walk off into the sunset. Anyone know when his contract is up? I bet it's his last

Everyone seems to think Dolph is entitled to his own 2 cents on things right? Well sure he is. But but but who is he employed by and what is his job? He's the official/unofficial face/voice of the whole program in some ways right? Well due to that fact the school can then determine the way in which they want to be represented. Dolph represents Iowa as a public personality. The school has every right to do what they did. And if Dolph don't like it.... Each program out there can give whatever amount of rope they want to for something like this. It's too bad that there seems to be a civil war of sorts between Dolph and Fran. We can all criticize Fran for things that are fair. But when he's sticking up for Dailey or any of his players he's more than within his right to do so and I can't be on any other side of it than that.
Dolph isn't Zabel. Far from it. He's someone that I'd grown tired of listening to back when I was a teenager and I'm almost 40 now. I wish he'd retire and walk off into the sunset. Anyone know when his contract is up? I bet it's his last
Gary Dolphin isn't employed by the University. He's employed by Learfield. Maybe someone can pull up the contract signed between Learfield and the U?

Yeah, I guess that was probably a bad decision letting Connie fans have your tickets next to Fran's wife. She's very opinionated and not shy about expressing those opinions. Loudly.
Yeah, before you know it she'll be on a message board giving her opinions. There's no room for that crap on a message board

If Adam Woodbury had intentionally poked me in the eye like that, I would have ended his basketball career with a baseball bat to his knees. If you think potentially losing your vision in 1 eye, isn't worth taking issue with...stop on by and I'll poke you in the eyes. Just for fun. We'll all have a good laugh after you stop bleeding from your eye socket. I might even buy you a beer.

I guarantee you would not come out on top of any physical encounter with me, MFer.....

You would be fortunate to end up in the emergency ward.....

:cool:

Gary Dolphin isn't employed by the University. He's employed by Learfield. Maybe someone can pull up the contract signed between Learfield and the U?
That's true but that rope is still tied directly to the school. Learfield is only doing what they are at the schools direction.

If Wisconsin comes in and spanks us, good luck trying to explain that the incident wasn't a distraction to the team.

Barta is going to talk to the media pregame of the B1G opener to discuss further incidents of discontent?

Only Barta. Only Iowa.
Could work to Iowa's favor, always good to have a "pre-game excuse" in place if things go sideways.

I guarantee you would not come out on top of any physical encounter with me, MFer.....

You would be fortunate to end up in the emergency ward.....

:cool:

Duke! A side not seen, before.:eek: Frankly, never suspected. I "liked" it!! :)

(Nothing against lightning ... I just liked it!)

I guess I don't disagree with that, I was referring more to any legal aspect of it.
I'm still curious about Dolphs employment status with how many yrs he's signed on for. Or does he have a deal like KF where it just keeps getting extended out once it's under 5 yrs. Learfield may be who signs Dolphs check but Barta is who says if he has a job or not.