STORY: Hawkeye Comeback Against Tennessee Falls Short

Cook’s hands have been very bad since he’s been here, that was nothing new. They only get worse the closer the game is and the bigger the moment.

@PCHawk thoughts?
Kent Benson used to have the same problem. Bobby Knight made him take rubber balls and tension handles with him everywhere he went to strengthen his hands. He took them to class, to study hall, the team bus, even in the locker room before games.

Benson had an injury ruined NBA career, but got eight or nine years in basically because he knew how to rebound. And because he strengthened his hands.

The possession you mention was a killer. Of all the Cook discussion what concerns me the most is his hands. He's been fumbling the ball, getting it stripped, losing it on the way up for dunks, losing rebounds.

He has never done any of this to this magnitude before and it should have nothing to do with his knee. It speaks to more of a confidence or concentration issue-or worse.

At this point I don't know if it changes. There is only so much jumping rope you can do. As well as other hand-eye coordination drills. Something that needed to be addressed at the high school/AAU level and for whatever reason wasn't. I don't think Fran and his staff can fix it.

At work during the game can anyone tell me why Iowa didn’t get a timeout after the Tenn miss at the end of regulation?

Didn't look like we called it right away

Joe was trying to hold on to the ball

The most important aspect was keeping possession

If the ball had been forcefully ripped out of his hands

We probably would have been called for a foul

Perhaps

Kent Benson used to have the same problem. Bobby Knight made him take rubber balls and tension handles with him everywhere he went to strengthen his hands. He took them to class, to study hall, the team bus, even in the locker room before games.

Benson had an injury ruined NBA career, but got eight or nine years in basically because he knew how to rebound. And because he strengthened his hands.

Kent's Professional career didn't start all that well

Kareems's sucker punch caused his hand to break

Damn

Cook’s hands have been very bad since he’s been here, that was nothing new. They only get worse the closer the game is and the bigger the moment.

@PCHawk thoughts?

I agree his hands have always been bad. And he clearly gets nervous in crunch time. His free throws are undeniable proof of that. Obviously if a guy is nervous it's a lot more likely he will bubble the ball. A guy with bad hands who gets nervous is not a good combination.

To add to this, I think Cook's horrible shooting season and horrible end of season play is also due to him not being able to handle pressure. He was essentially playing for millions of dollars this year. It's no surprise he shot so bad and played worse the closer the end of the season got. He was playing for his NBA career and it went just like his late game free throws went. Lucky to hit the rim. All that said, that doesn't mean he can't come out next year with a new found focus and put together a great season.

We did get the call on Bohannons foul that led to a sure theee points from Bohannons free throws, though.

That’s what drives me nuts about people who think we’re the only team who ever gets screwed.

If you look at it fairly, usually the misses and no calls are pretty even

Yep. The Bohannon call was bad. Was kind of a makeup call I thought

Refs didn't lose this game at all. Iowas first half lost the game. When they're hitting their 3s they can hang with anyone.

Thought moss had a good game until overtime

Similar to Kermit Washington's de-facing of RT.
These incidents happened within two months of each other. It led to three man officiating crews, especially the Rudy T incident. Once a trail official was in place to see the jostling players did when they came back up floor, the shorts tugging, etc., it nipped a lot of altercations in the bud.

That's what started the Rudy T. incident. Kermit Washington got tangled up with Kevin Kunnert coming back up the floor. Kermit propelled himself past Kunnert by grabbing Kunnert's shorts, a common tactic in those days because there was no official in place to see it. Kunnert elbowed Washington, which Kermit accepted as a "now we're even" move, but Kunnert, like Benson, was an agitator and it escalated into near tragedy. The sound of Washington's fist hitting Rudy T's face has been compared to that of a watermelon landing on concrete. Rudy's face was the watermelon.

Kunnert, of course was an Iowa grad who still holds some rebounding records. He was a late bloomer at Dubuque Wahlert, didn't hit his growth spurt until his senior year, then contracted mono. He barely played in high school but made up for lost time with a ten year NBA career. A great restaurant and pizza place in downtown Dubuque, the Shot Tower Inn, is still going strong into it's third generation of being run by members of the Kunnert family. Kevin himself has had a successful post NBA career in the Portland area as a businessman.

Those stats only matter if someone does the breakdown and adds the stat of how many fouls each team actually committed.

Posting foul numbers is just another false logic pretense. Each call in a game is unique - some are "bigger" calls than others, but at the same time all calls can matter equally, regardless of when they occur.

Sure refs often seem to "try" to even out the calls - but that doesn't conclude that calls didn't benefit one team more than another in a game - regardless of sport.

I don't think the officiating was much of a factor today, nor do I believe that Iowa "usually gets screwed by the refs", but officials can dictate the outcome of a game in, in any sport - its certainly does not always fairly even out...

Posting foul numbers is just another false logic pretense. Each call in a game is unique - some are "bigger" calls than others, but at the same time all calls can matter equally, regardless of when they occur.

Sure refs often seem to "try" to even out the calls - but that doesn't conclude that calls didn't benefit one team more than another in a game - regardless of sport.

I don't think the officiating was much of a factor today, nor do I believe that Iowa "usually gets screwed by the refs", but officials can dictate the outcome of a game in, in any sport - its certainly does not always fairly even out...

The 2005 football team got screwed twice.
But you are correct, Hawkeyes who claim the refs are out to get us are displaying none of the moral character they claim to luv in the football coach. In our most recent bowl game IIRC we had zero infractions called against us while the Bulldogs had 9 or 10. Do I think the refs were out to get the bulldogs? No. And I don't think they were biased against us today.

"Trying" to even out calls is one if the worst things an official or umpire can do. They know when they miss calls. The best thing to do is just move on, and avoid the dreaded makeup call.

Longtime ACC basketball official Hank Nichols, who went on to an NCAA supervisorary position grading officials and choosing their postseason assignments, used to tell coaches "I owe you one, but I'll never pay." That sums up a lot of people's feelings about makeup calls, including coaches.

Didn't look like we called it right away

Joe was trying to hold on to the ball

The most important aspect was keeping possession

If the ball had been forcefully ripped out of his hands

We probably would have been called for a foul

Perhaps
Was anyone else allowed to call the timeout or only the ballhandler. I would think 4 guys on the floor would have been signaling T/O

"Trying" to even out calls is one if the worst things an official or umpire can do. They know when they miss calls. The best thing to do is just move on, and avoid the dreaded makeup call.

Longtime ACC basketball official Hank Nichols, who went on to an NCAA supervisorary position grading officials and choosing their postseason assignments, used to tell coaches "I owe you one, but I'll never pay." That sums up a lot of people's feelings about makeup calls, including coaches.

Yeah there was a study done in the 2000's about it.. (mostly focusing on NCAA basketball). They concluded that it seems officials do try to "even up" calls, which is the result of many obvious internal and external factors, but in the end trying to even out calls actually makes things worse.

Was anyone else allowed to call the timeout or only the ballhandler. I would think 4 guys on the floor would have been signaling T/O
JoBo was signaling for a timeout, I thought but it didn't looked like it was quick enough. Would of been under a second left had it been granted.

JoBo was signaling for a timeout, I thought but it didn't looked like it was quick enough. Would of been under a second left had it been granted.
Thanks game tracker said tenn shot the ball with 7 secs left and JW rebounded with 5 left, there must have been a fight for the rebound.

It looked to me like we called a timeout with 1.5 secs left... but that really wouldn't have been much time to do much.