Stoops interview by USC radio

If its Phil Parker, what is KF waiting for to announce it? Makes no sense. The next DC would appear to be somebody that has not decided on the offer or does not want an announcement at this time.
KF will not let anything take away from Norm right now not matter who it is.
I would be very surprised if there isn't someone already in place or very very close to being in place already. There isn't that much time before signing day and I think they will want it done before that especially if KF hires a known commodity that can help the cause.
There's alot of good names out there as possibilities and I would be happy with many of them. I am disheartened to learn that there was a poor situation in the coaching staff with Kaz(exit comments) since he has worked there pretty long term so things should have been handled earlier.
I do wonder if recruits somehow got the ball rolling with the Kaz deal. Kids fom Christian schools like Lohn and several others we have commited or are still in on would not take to that kind of coaching. And rightfully so.
There is a very fine line between actively motivating and verbally abusing.

Last edited:
If its Phil Parker, what is KF waiting for to announce it? Makes no sense. The next DC would appear to be somebody that has not decided on the offer or does not want an announcement at this time.
The University of Iowa has to post the job opening for two weeks before they can announce who will be hired and seeing how the University hasn't posted the job opening yet they can't announce Norm's replacement.

whats the real story on this? why couldn't it be posted on some trade journal site(s) specific to college athletics?

Anyone else notice we've seen an uptick in AZ and west coast recruits? Sheffield, Sokol, Marks, And Sudfeld have all come onto the radar since late November? Could be something... Just another tidbit on my "beautiful mind" like wall... Back in the shed.

kirk did say when asked about stoops that he did speak with a former wr about a position on the staff. it is in one of the kirk on the side articles. although it is tough to really know if kirk was being serious or not.

kirk did say when asked about stoops that he did speak with a former wr about a position on the staff. it is in one of the kirk on the side articles. although it is tough to really know if kirk was being serious or not.

I thought that was a rebuttal to Howes questionng on DJK. Like you said... Hard to know.

Woods is going to be a better d line coach than coach k. He was a former hawkeye player, played in the NFL, and relates better to players. I bet he would recruit better than coach k too, couldn't do much worse.hiring Stoops would be a temporary fix, Aiken would be the right hire

In reading some of these replies, you'd think Kirk Ferentz was some 38 year old first time coach. My guess is he knew who his next DC was going to be before Norm officially retired and he has his reasons for wanting to wait til after the bowl to make it public.

This is a recruiting dead period anyway, until after the bowls are finished.

In reading some of these replies, you'd think Kirk Ferentz was some 38 year old first time coach. My guess is he knew who his next DC was going to be before Norm officially retired and he has his reasons for wanting to wait til after the bowl to make it public.

This is what many of us have tried to tell lots of cliff jumpers in the other threads

good luck selling this line of thought to treychase

+1 for JD.

Funny Seems like some of the fan base thinks kf is. Veteran coach who can't figure out how turn on a tv in his office, when an onside kick my be coming, how clock management works, how to beat Minnesota or Iowa St., or when change is needed. But when it's comes to hiring a DC we are all suppose to drink the Kool Aid and don't worry KF has this under control ?

Woods is going to be a better d line coach than coach k. He was a former hawkeye player, played in the NFL, and relates better to players. I bet he would recruit better than coach k too, couldn't do much worse.hiring

The more I look at it, the more I am hoping that all this is shaking out to get Woods in as a permanent assistant. Hawk player, multiple years in the NFL. Great community connections around the country, dedicated community servant. Have to think he will come off very well in the living room game, and also be a real asset to the university community.

Also, he was a NFL standout in one of the Hawks' weakest areas over the last few years, Special Teams! While I thought it was odd that someone with no defensive experience, Kacs, would be given responsibility over one of the most important units of the team, Woods seems like a totally different scenario.

Last edited:
as for Parker and Wilson, I they would act like professionals
than act like a couple of spoiled 5 year old brats
they are supposed to be grownups in a profession that requires top notch behavior
if they want to stomp their field and want to be like the kid that takes the only ball, bat and glove home because he didn't get to be the pitcher
let them go and try to hit them in the *** on the way out the door

I think we've seen what would happen under Phil (lest we forget the miserable D last year when Norm was out). Tough to lose Darrell being a good recruiter etc. I don't believe that if KF wants an extended career at Iowa he'd best get the best damn DC he can possibly afford. KOK's offense will never generate the points we need so a top notch DC is an absolute must.

So I was driving all day yesterday so I had time to collect my thoughts... Here is another log on the fire...

I find it noteworthy that Oklahoma and Iowa are playing in ARIZONA and it appears no one has even asked Mike about the game. Never mind the Open DC position at his alma mater... I know the general public doesn't think much of journalists but that isn't too much of a stretch... Whereas he has gone on public record regarding NE, OSU, and now USC.

Could he be avoiding the question?

I know, I know... Tin hat stuff but I enjoy connecting the dots to build a hypothesis. It's what i do.

So I was driving all day yesterday so I had time to collect my thoughts... Here is another log on the fire...

I find it noteworthy that Oklahoma and Iowa are playing in ARIZONA and it appears no one has even asked Mike about the game. Never mind the Open DC position at his alma mater... I know the general public doesn't think much of journalists but that isn't too much of a stretch... Whereas he has gone on public record regarding NE, OSU, and now USC.

Could he be avoiding the question?

I know, I know... Tin hat stuff but I enjoy connecting the dots to build a hypothesis. It's what i do.

Its consuming your life!!!

Its Parker with Woods as permanent D Line

Thats the rumor in IC anyways

This is probably the most likely scenario to play out. Parker at DC. Woods moves into DL and Wilson stays at LB. DB - ?. Maybe Parker do DC and DB. Then go hire actual QB coach.

Maybe move Woods to LB since that position he played and move Wilson to DL ... I did hear he might have some interest in moving to DL. Just something I heard. No idea if will happen or not.

Would love to see outside hire come in to add a little "change" to the football program ... new set of eyes you might say. Be fine with Stoops or Aiken. I would guess Aiken maybe a little more possibility since he was former coach on Ferentz staff. Staff would look as follows:
Aiken - DC/DL
Parker - DB
Wilson - LB
Woods - ST/ Asst DL (if aiken needs an assistant) Maybe Woods can then bring the ST back to life again.

This is probably the most likely scenario to play out. Parker at DC. Woods moves into DL and Wilson stays at LB. DB - ?. Maybe Parker do DC and DB. Then go hire actual QB coach.

Maybe move Woods to LB since that position he played and move Wilson to DL ... I did hear he might have some interest in moving to DL. Just something I heard. No idea if will happen or not.

Would love to see outside hire come in to add a little "change" to the football program ... new set of eyes you might say. Be fine with Stoops or Aiken. I would guess Aiken maybe a little more possibility since he was former coach on Ferentz staff. Staff would look as follows:
Aiken - DC/DL
Parker - DB
Wilson - LB
Woods - ST/ Asst DL (if aiken needs an assistant) Maybe Woods can then bring the ST back to life again.

I would like a little change but Phil Parker and Woods would be very solid moves....both guys can really recruit

If they go outside or hire within, I will be happy either way. I dont see how we can lose given the candidates

I think we've seen what would happen under Phil (lest we forget the miserable D last year when Norm was out).

This is just not accurate. KF did not assign an interim DC. This was the problem. He did it by committee, which means decisions were made by committee. Ever make a decision as a committee in less than 25 seconds?

So, what you got was a base defense and not enough substitutions. That was not the fault of Parker and Wilson, but KF.

This is the same as blaming all the STs problems on Wilson. That guy was covering LBs, half STs, and half DC. Something was going to slip through the cracks.

Latest posts