Still high on this yound team

NIT this season is perfect? Ummm no, I'd rather make the dance
Don't worry. ISU still has a chance to make the NCAA's. ;)
Normally I'd prefer the NCAA's. But with this very young group, I'd rather make an NIT run than a one and done NCAA.
Iowa is 9-7 with a signature win over your 10-4 clones. Not that impressive. Realistically, Iowa needs to go on about a 10 game win streak and that just isn't going to happen. I don't see any way they make the big dance barring a conference tourney championship.

And with that, I've completely derailed this thread started about this fabulous young team. Let the annual NCAA/NIT tourney fight begin!

Don't worry. ISU still has a chance to make the NCAA's. ;)
Normally I'd prefer the NCAA's. But with this very young group, I'd rather make an NIT run than a one and done NCAA.
Iowa is 9-7 with a signature win over your 10-4 clones. Not that impressive. Realistically, Iowa needs to go on about a 10 game win streak and that just isn't going to happen. I don't see any way they make the big dance barring a conference tourney championship.

And with that, I've completely derailed this thread started about this fabulous young team. Let the annual NCAA/NIT tourney fight begin!

Anyone who would rather go to the NIT over the NCAA Tournament is not very smart

As a fan you wanna pound your chest and say "We made the NCAA's!" No doubt it's a better tourney with better teams. But this very young Iowa team will get much more benefit out of making a run in the NIT's than getting bounced in the 1st game of the NCAA's.

It's a moot point anyway. They ain't making the NCAA tourney.

As a fan you wanna pound your chest and say "We made the NCAA's!" No doubt it's a better tourney with better teams. But this very young Iowa team will get much more benefit out of making a run in the NIT's than getting bounced in the 1st game of the NCAA's.

It's a moot point anyway. They ain't making the NCAA tourney.

Why would it be more beneficial to make a run into the NIT? Making the tournament is much better for publicity and recruiting

Why would it be more beneficial to make a run into the NIT? Making the tournament is much better for publicity and recruiting
I just think it's a unique situation that the Hawks are in. They are one of the youngest teams in all of D1. It would benefit the team to have more practices and games in the NIT (potentially) than to make the NCAA and lose in the first round. (most likely) The more experience this group can get this year the better.

Now next year is a totally different situation. Back to back NIT appearances are not good.

I just think it's a unique situation that the Hawks are in. They are one of the youngest teams in all of D1. It would benefit the team to have more practices and games in the NIT (potentially) than to make the NCAA and lose in the first round. (most likely) The more experience this group can get this year the better.

Now next year is a totally different situation. Back to back NIT appearances are not good.

Didn't people say that last time we went to the NIT title game and it really didn't benefit that team at all. They got bounced in that play in game that next year

Foundation when 32 2nd half and OT points come from a senior? Think about last year with JOK and Utoff on the same team and that team faded. It will be hard to have that kind of talent on the same team on the floor as upper class men for the future.

11 straight points from a RS FR (Moss) in 1st half with SR on bench. Moss brought us back in the 1st half and Jok only scored 4 points. last years team struggled, in my opinion, because we didn't have players that could score in the paint. My one knock against JU is that he simply did, would or could not post up down on the block. He could have score an extra 5 points a game going the ft line by doing that. now we have Cook and Pemsl, so, we will have inside scoring next season to take the pressure off of our perimeter game. plus, Moss is showing an ability to take it to the rim and get fouled and convert. we'll know if i'm right, next season. :)

Didn't people say that last time we went to the NIT title game and it really didn't benefit that team at all. They got bounced in that play in game that next year

to be fair, that ncaa play in game was also 24 hours after patrick mccaffrey had is surgery to remove a tumor and 72 hours within fran learning of the tumor. Plus, Tennessee actually made it to the sweet 16 that tourney. losing to UM by 2 .

to be fair, that ncaa play in game was also 24 hours after patrick mccaffrey had is surgery to remove a tumor and 72 hours within fran learning of the tumor. Plus, Tennessee actually made it to the sweet 16 that tourney. losing to UM by 2 .
Good points.

That team also put them in position to be in that play in game so I don't buy the NIT run benefits more than the tournament does

1. Loss of Jok will not kill this team next year. He's a great player but this group of young players will have more experience, more development and more opportunities to create and show their abilities. Points will still come, and defense will likely improve with experience. They seem to hang in just fine when Peter is off the floor or not scoring much.
2. NIT/ NCAA, any post season is a plus for this group,
3. I am excited to see if this team can continue to improve to the point where they are a real threat in the B10 tournament. The league is wide open, and even though I think this group has very little chance to finish near the top of the regular season standings, I am encouraged by what I see and wonder if they can't become dangerous enough by seasons end to make some noise in the tourney.
4. I don't believe that a true C is necessary. We have an abundance of bigs right now who I think have serious upsides as scorers, but i would like to see another threat to get to the rim develop from the guard position. Moss will be that guy, but beyond him, I'm not sure I see someone who can break down a defender consistently.

Perhaps the most important aspect of the game for the Hawks to master is learning how to Value the ball in close games at crunch time. We had entirely too many turnovers in the game, 19, and especially late in regulation and both OTs. Fran calling timeouts would certainly be a step in the right direction. Settle the lads down and give them a play to consider.....

This team has a ton of potential and is one of the most exciting Hawkeye basketball teams in recent memory. The foundation is being set for the future, and it looks very good right now.....

Just hope the Lads do not overlook the Scarlet Knights.....

Young teams have a tendency to do so.....

:cool:

Latest posts