Stevie and the Lobos

But, NM had fallen on hard times in recent years before SA arrived. As I said,they had a good tradition,but IU had a great tradition when Crean arrived and he is 2-33 on the road in the league in his four years.
SA has won two? MW titles in his 4 years there? He could win his 3rd in 5 years?
Is that mediocre since the tourny success is not there?

This is why football must never have a playoff. Conference titles will become meaningless,like they are in college bb. Just go .500 in conference and get hot at the end like UCONN...that is college bb in 2012. Regular season is as meaningless as breasts on a boar.

New Mexico had a mcdonalds all american transfer from Kansas on the roster when afford arrived. The kid didn't play the season prior due to injury. afford had nothing to do with the kid being there but he was the major reason afford got off to a great start. That and paying the houston aau coach to bring Phil mcdonald and a few others to new Mexico.

A midmajor can dominate a conference with one or two players.

He may know how to play basketball but the guy still can't coach basketball. Watch a game, nothing has changed. He doesn't run the huddles during a TO, Noodles does. He still allows opponents to make big runs without calling a TO to stem the tide. And I'm not talking in an occasional game or two, its nearly every game. He chews out his players and not in a constructive manner. If you watched the game last night you would know what I'm talking about. He ripped into his players in the 2nd half and the players were like a frickin deer in headlights wondering what in the hell he was talking about. SDSU then went on a solid run and got the game close. The players were actually designing plays in the huddle...no ****! The Williams kid was designing a play late in the game for himself and alford just sat back and watched.

They play in a mediocre conference at best. UNLV, SDSU and New Mexico are the only three teams that would even be considered to be good. SDSU is ridiculously athletic and play sick defense. They can't shoot and their big has knee problems. The big is also the kid that missed a bunny that would have given SDSU the momentum late in the game. He then missed another fairly easy putback on the next possession and the rest was history.
Wow, really disagree with this post. Alford's teams play great defense and they always play hard. Plus, the guy can recruit. He did a fine job at Iowa and we really haven't been the same since he left (Lickliter was the wrong hire). He can coach and he can recruit. Frankly, he has won everywhere he has been (including Iowa, where he won TWO big ten tourney titles). I don't understand the hate, other than the fact that he left Iowa to go somewhere else (lots of coaches have done that; Ralph Miller and Lute Olson to name two).

Wow, really disagree with this post. Alford's teams play great defense and they always play hard. Plus, the guy can recruit. He did a fine job at Iowa and we really haven't been the same since he left (Lickliter was the wrong hire). He can coach and he can recruit. Frankly, he has won everywhere he has been (including Iowa, where he won TWO big ten tourney titles). I don't understand the hate, other than the fact that he left Iowa to go somewhere else (lots of coaches have done that; Ralph Miller and Lute Olson to name two).

You must be trolling, because you can't really think this. He did a fine job at Iowa? What were you watching?

I would love to see Alf fall on his face yet again at Nebby or Illinois.

Last edited:
Three words - Craig Neal...

There is a reason he is THE HIGHEST PAID assistant coach in the country. He writes up most of the in-game plays. Had lil Stevie hired him a couple years earlier, he would still be at Iowa. That said, I am glad he did not hire him a couple years earlier. I cannot remember one point in my life where I have ever had positive thoughts toward Steve Alford.

Fran kicksass, plus he is the entire package of Craig Neal and the HC in one person. Better than two or three people combined; he is an excellent recruiter, has an incredible eye for talent, has the best in game analysis of any Iowa coach in the last 30+ years(maybe ever) and is an excellent teacher & coach. Plus his players love him.

The complete package = Fran McCaffery.

You mean two words....right?:)

New Mexico had a mcdonalds all american transfer from Kansas on the roster when afford arrived. The kid didn't play the season prior due to injury. afford had nothing to do with the kid being there but he was the major reason afford got off to a great start. That and paying the houston aau coach to bring Phil mcdonald and a few others to new Mexico.

A midmajor can dominate a conference with one or two players.

That injury? Getting stabbed in the leg in a bar fight he started, JR Giddons was quite the guy.

You'd enjoy life more if you worried less about the success Alford is having @ New Mexico and concentrated more on watching Fran rebuild a program.

The past is the past, Alford has moved on - many of you need to as well.

I can't agree more!!! This is the stupidest thread! Move on. New Mexico has a good team. They play defense. We don't! We need more athletes!

You'd enjoy life more if you worried less about the success Alford is having @ New Mexico and concentrated more on watching Fran rebuild a program.

The past is the past, Alford has moved on - many of you need to as well.

You are of course right...I became much less of a bball fan overall as a result of the way we treated SA, (whether he deserved it at times or not) and quite frankly I am really excited about his success at New Mexico and the guy who said nothing has changed is just flat typical of a bitter myopic view that people foster when they don't want to see the truth. He is a fine coach...and I've seen it said multiple times in multiple media outlets....And the MWC is a pretty salty league as was shown last year during the dance.

Finally I am a little surprised to see some fans who are hyper-critical of KF be supportive of SA. If you 'd have asked I'd have thought that was opposite of what I would expect so I need to keep a more open mind myself... with that said, lets keep in mind every coach good or bad has people who refuse to see him as such.

Last edited:
idk. I enjoy life about as much as one can. I despise alford and what he did to the Iowa basketball program. My dislike for him doesn't add any stress to my life, but it does **** me off when *** hats on this board try to defend the guy like he simply had a bad break while at Iowa.

We were a top 25 team and had national relevance. We had a history of making the NCAA tournament and winning games once there for 20+ years prior to him arriving on the scene.

He ****** off the fan base, the boosters and the players.

For the record our fans did that friend...be mad at yourself!!

Latest posts