Steve McJunkins - Stats & Notes

Find me any threads on CF where people are obsessed with one ref, where people are trying to determine if he's been actively trying to swing games, with huge lists of the games he's reffed against the Cyclones. I'll wait.

I must have missed where your coach was suspended 2 games for remarks made to a ref. I imagine that probably has a lot to do with it.

Find me any threads on CF where people are obsessed with one ref, where people are trying to determine if he's been actively trying to swing games, with huge lists of the games he's reffed against the Cyclones. I'll wait.
What’s CF?

What’s CF?
Cyclone Fanatic? Never been there, never will go there, why in the world would you? It's hilarious that he thinks Iowa fans wouldn't be discussing refs after what has transpired over the last few days at Iowa. It's like, that can't be a real take can it? He wants us to show him where Cyclone fans are discussing referees like Iowa fans are right now and that right there is a Cyclone fan for you.

You found the guy with the worse name than McJunkins.

You don't get out much, huh? I watched a YouTube video last night where Kaitlin Bennett of Liberty Hangout went undercover using the name Jenna Taylia. Even had a name tag made up and no one even gave her a suspicious look.

Cyclone Fanatic? Never been there, never will go there, why in the world would you?
I go there all the time, it’s great. There are almost as many Iowa threads as there are ISU threads. When the McCaffery thing was boiling over I swung in there and the top 6 threads in the basketball forum were Hawk posts. If Prohm did what Fran did HN would have one meme thread making fun of him and that’s about it.

CF is like a slightly less ridiculous huskerboard, but instead of doing nothing but talk about 30 year old titles, their threads are mostly everyone trying to convince themselves (to no avail) that they’re not little brother

Long story short, check it out.

Oh and trolling there is soooooo much more satisfying than even huskerboard. They get ragingly butthurt.

No one complains about officiating more than Iowa State fans. In every sport. Every year. Constantly. Chris Williams, who does a show on KXNO 1460, is absolutely obsessed with it.

You're correct, I was talking about umping HS games.

Actually, people (including me until I tried it the first time) have no clue how hard it is to officiate a sport without even considering biases.

I have no clue if the guy is an OSU fan or not, but I will give my take on the subject...

Like I mentioned before, I've done a lot of games in my hometown and it would be easy for a reasonable person to think that's probably not a good idea. But to give an idea, here's a super simplistic rundown what goes through my feeble brain every pitch

-Count?
-Outs?
-Runners? Where are they?
-Where on the field is my partner and is he in position?
-If I'm behind the plate, did we make eye contact and signal each other, i.e. are we both on the same page?
-Infield fly situation?
-Where am I going on a ground ball?
-Where am I going on a fly ball?
-Again, count?
-Again, outs?
-Is the batter in the box?
-Pitcher set?
-Call ball/strike.
-Start over.

And that's only for a swing or taken pitch. What I'm getting at is it's a constant barrage of shit going on for 2 plus hours, and if I'm being honest, I don't have time to think about whether I'm calling a game one-sided or not. When a play happens in front of you you literally have half a second to decide what you saw and call it. Any longer than that and you're not going to get asked to officiate too many more games. And I'm not on TV, or in front of 15,000 people who hate me, or worried that if I F up really bad that I might lose my livelihood. When I'm calling pitches I'm too focused on watching where it crosses to think, "Hmm, that was close, but XYZ coach was a dick last week, and I missed one bad a couple batters ago, and it's fucking hot out here and they're down by like 9 runs anyway, but I went to HS with this pitcher's mom and she's hot and just got divorced last year STRIKE!

Doesn't work like that in any sport. If people think so they don't have a clue, and that's why I don't rag on officials.

Yes, some of them suck, but I've never met one who was out to get another team, and if they suck it's been my experience that they definitely suck equally bad for both teams

Another great post. My point is the following: At the Big Ten level, you want to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. It is possible that the official in the Iowa - Ohio State game is a great official. I have no way of knowing otherwise, except for Fran's comments. The point is that an Ohio resident should not be officiating Ohio State games. It just doesn't work. Fran gets hypersensitive and paranoid because he knows where the guy lives. The guy overreacts to everything that Fran says because he knows Fran is paranoid.....it is a vicious circle! Just avoid the apparent conflict of interest by not letting the dude do the Ohio State games! Problem solved.

Did Scott Helverson, or any Iowa grad or Iowa resident, ever referee Iowa football games? I would love to know that answer. Does it work both ways? If Iowa residents get to do Iowa football or basketball, then I need to shut up.

I also agree that until you've referred/umpired basketball, football or baseball, it is difficult to appreciate how truly difficult it is. It looks easy from the stands, but it is not easy at all.

I umpired dozens of baseball games at the 15 and under level. You can't believe how many close plays there are.....almost impossible to make the call.
How is it obvious? How do you know he's an OSU fan? I mean this is just getting ridiculous.

You are missing the whole point. The Iowa coaches believe it is obvious. That is all that matters. It is about perception, not reality. I have no idea if the guy is an Ohio State fan or not; it is about the appearance of impropriety or impartiality. Think about it.

Actually, people (including me until I tried it the first time) have no clue how hard it is to officiate a sport without even considering biases.

I have no clue if the guy is an OSU fan or not, but I will give my take on the subject...

Like I mentioned before, I've done a lot of games in my hometown and it would be easy for a reasonable person to think that's probably not a good idea. But to give an idea, here's a super simplistic rundown what goes through my feeble brain every pitch

-Count?
-Outs?
-If I'm behind the plate, did we make eye contact and signal each other, i.e. are we both on the same page?
-Infield fly situation?
-Again, count?
-Again, outs?
-Pitcher set?
-Call ball/strike.
-Start over.

And that's only for a swing or taken pitch. What I'm getting at is it's a constant barrage of shit going on for 2 plus hours, and if I'm being honest, I don't have time to think about whether I'm calling a game one-sided or not. When a play happens in front of you you literally have half a second to decide what you saw and call it. Any longer than that and you're not going to get asked to officiate too many more games. And I'm not on TV, or in front of 15,000 people who hate me, or worried that if I F up really bad that I might lose my livelihood. When I'm calling pitches I'm too focused on watching where it crosses to think, "Hmm, that was close, but XYZ coach was a dick last week, and I missed one bad a couple batters ago, and it's fucking hot out here and they're down by like 9 runs anyway, but I went to HS with this pitcher's mom and she's hot and just got divorced last year STRIKE!

Doesn't work like that in any sport. If people think so they don't have a clue, and that's why I don't rag on officials.

Yes, some of them suck, but I've never met one who was out to get another team, and if they suck it's been my experience that they definitely suck equally bad for both teams

That's pretty good. It raises the question tho. You could do a post just like that one on both players and coaches. They have a lot going on too. Why is it ok to rip on them for mistakes they make?

That's such a bad take. The head coach got a technical, called a ref a cheater, got suspended for 2 games and fined. Find me any threads on CF where that exact same thing has happened. I'll wait.

I don't think that's all that much of a problem. Take out the techs, 6 fouls, 4 on Iowa and 2 on OSU. That's not a shocking discrepancy.

Yea just take out the 2 ridiculous technical fouls. Let's pretend like those never happened. That's just dumb to try and make a point that involves ignoring the 2 most egregious calls.

-Count?
-Outs?
-Infield fly situation?
-Again, count?
-Again, outs?
-Pitcher set?
-Call ball/strike.
-Start over.

And your list doesn't take into account what happens if the runner on third attempts to steal home.:)

Works both ways, guys. The BIG ref in this picture was born and raised in Iowa City. See if he doesn't resemble a ref in CHA this weekend.
IMG_2906-2.jpg

I have no idea if he's an Iowa fan. So, I'm not questioning his integrity. Just pointing out that we've got a local boy refereeing BIG games too and he works a lot of Iowa games.
Edit: And I think he's a very good referee.

Last edited:
I saw on another site where a guy broke down the play before Fran's T that ended with the Baer shot that should have been and and 1. Said a guy was over Cook's back on his defensive rebound, then Wieskamp got knocked to the floor but was able to get it to Bohannon, then Bohannon's shot missed and Wieskamp was pushed but the ball went to Baer anyway, then Baer got hammered on his shot. 4 bad missed calls in about 10 or 15 seconds. I haven't seen the play again so cant speak to how accurate it is. But if accurate, it sure would explain Fran being furious.

I saw on another site where a guy broke down the play before Fran's T that ended with the Baer shot that should have been and and 1. Said a guy was over Cook's back on his defensive rebound, then Wieskamp got knocked to the floor but was able to get it to Bohannon, then Bohannon's shot missed and Wieskamp was pushed but the ball went to Baer anyway, then Baer got hammered on his shot. 4 bad missed calls in about 10 or 15 seconds. I haven't seen the play again so cant speak to how accurate it is. But if accurate, it sure would explain Fran being furious.
You could call multiple offensive and defensive fouls on every single possession in basketball. Just like there are multiple holding calls on every football play. If they called every hold the game would take 17 hours.

Those four fouls you mentioned above would probably be argued as offensive fouls by OSU fans and they’d be just as right as us.

Not saying they didn’t get them wrong, but eye level on the court is a whole different experience than frame by frame on your couch from ten different angles a couple days later.

I truly, huonestly would bet we could sit down with the film and pick just as many uncalled Iowa fouls. We’re all homers here guys. Whining about refs when you get thumped by 20 pts is idiocy either way.

And why are there no threads on HN when we win about how we won because our opponents got fucked by the refs??? It’s just a weak sauce argument and you guys act like Iowa is the only team on the planet that’s ever gotten hosed.

How is it obvious? How do you know he's an OSU fan? I mean this is just getting ridiculous.

Of course, you are correct

The odds against him being an Ohio State fan are astronomical

From his Linkedin page

Steve McJunkins
NCAA Men's Basketball Official at Independent Contractor - Sports Professional

Cleveland/Akron, Ohio Area
Banking
Current
  1. Independent Contractor - Sports Professional

And now this.....
  • ghost_company_60x60_v1.png

NCAA Men's Basketball Official
    Independent Contractor - Sports Professional
    October 2009 – Present 9 years 6 months
    Cleveland/Akron, Ohio Area
    Work as an Independent Contractor with NCAA. Work as Men's Basketball game officials throughout US in several college basketball conferences. I enforce the rules and regulations as dictated by the NCAA.

McJunkins is a disgrace to the profession

The Enforcer himself

Last edited:

Latest posts