Steve McJunkins - Stats & Notes

From the twitter world so not positive if true.

Iowa is 1-3 in contests he’s officiated this year with the lone win at Penn State. He is also the ref that T’d up Garza.

He resides in Ohio.
11 fouls, does not mention how many total on Iowa (6/8 by McJ, (X+6)/11 total)

The only part to me that was a little weird was that Holtmann literally worked his ass off to get T’d up. Like he was on the court screaming efffing BS call twice before finally catching his T.

Fran got his T in a tenth of a second. Maybe he said a magic word but it didn’t look that way.

I don't think that's all that much of a problem. Take out the techs, 6 fouls, 4 on Iowa and 2 on OSU. That's not a shocking discrepancy.
I agree. Nothing I noticed live although Baer did get hammered on the one Fran got T’d and it was literally right in front of this guy.

Refs did not cost us this one but that ref has been awful in Iowa games this year.

Seriously read that guys name as Duke LeCock. Thought that was going to be my next alt. Still might be...

Actual baseball player, son of Peter Marshall from Hollywood Squares fame ... :)

Topps+1976+LaCock.jpg

I am always a little torn on the subject of officiating games within your home area.

On one hand the officiating bodies around the country would say that their members are held to high standards of fairness and impartiality; high enough that they should be able to officiate any game at any time or place. And I agree with that part. I have umpired lots of varsity games in my hometown, which is also where I went to school and played baseball. I feel like I'm fair and I've never had a parent on either side accuse me of being a homer.

That said, I hate doing it. Because even though it's never been said to my face, I personally feel that by reffing or umping in your hometown people are either going to view you as either a homer, or a guy who is purposely too hard on the hometown side so as not to look like a homer. You can't win. Part of why I agreed to start umping again after this year is because I told our assigner that I'm not doing home games. Unfortunately umpires are so badly needed in Iowa that we actually have the power to do that. It's either I do any game outside of my town that he wants (I'm single and have no commitments after I'm done coaching), or I don't do any at all. I know our coaches, players, and parents so well that it's not the umpiring I'm worried about. It's the potential for backlash in my personal life, even if I do everything right. Not worth it to me.

I am always a little torn on the subject of officiating games within your home area.

On one hand the officiating bodies around the country would say that their members are held to high standards of fairness and impartiality; high enough that they should be able to officiate any game at any time or place. And I agree with that part. I have umpired lots of varsity games in my hometown, which is also where I went to school and played baseball. I feel like I'm fair and I've never had a parent on either side accuse me of being a homer.

That said, I hate doing it. Because even though it's never been said to my face, I personally feel that by reffing or umping in your hometown people are either going to view you as either a homer, or a guy who is purposely too hard on the hometown side so as not to look like a homer. You can't win. Part of why I agreed to start umping again after this year is because I told our assigner that I'm not doing home games. Unfortunately umpires are so badly needed in Iowa that we actually have the power to do that. It's either I do any game outside of my town that he wants (I'm single and have no commitments after I'm done coaching), or I don't do any at all. I know our coaches, players, and parents so well that it's not the umpiring I'm worried about. It's the potential for backlash in my personal life, even if I do everything right. Not worth it to me.

This is a great post. I'm guessing that you are talking about umpiring at high school baseball games. That can be a lot of pressure.

But can you imagine how high the stakes are at a Big Ten basketball game when both teams are battling for seeds in the NCAA basketball tournament? Why in the world would they allow an obvious Ohio state fan to referee at an Ohio State home basketball game? That makes no sense to me. Based on your statements (which I agree with), even if this guy makes all the right calls, it isn't going to sit well with the Iowa coaching staff.

How is it obvious? How do you know he's an OSU fan? I mean this is just getting ridiculous.
ridiculous how? Do you see any Iowa fan blaming this ref for the loss? There is a discussion on here about how shitty of a ref he likely is which caused Fran to give the guy a piece of his mind.

How is it obvious? How do you know he's an OSU fan? I mean this is just getting ridiculous.
ridiculous how? Do you see any Iowa fan blaming this ref for the loss? There is a discussion on here about how shitty of a ref he likely is which caused Fran to give the guy a piece of his mind.
No more or less ridiculous than a fan from a rival team scouring the opponents message board trying to keep the posters in line. Especially when said fan base is the crown jewel for complaining about officiating.

This is a great post. I'm guessing that you are talking about umpiring at high school baseball games. That can be a lot of pressure.

But can you imagine how high the stakes are at a Big Ten basketball game when both teams are battling for seeds in the NCAA basketball tournament? Why in the world would they allow an obvious Ohio state fan to referee at an Ohio State home basketball game? That makes no sense to me. Based on your statements (which I agree with), even if this guy makes all the right calls, it isn't going to sit well with the Iowa coaching staff.
You're correct, I was talking about umping HS games.

Actually, people (including me until I tried it the first time) have no clue how hard it is to officiate a sport without even considering biases.

I have no clue if the guy is an OSU fan or not, but I will give my take on the subject...

Like I mentioned before, I've done a lot of games in my hometown and it would be easy for a reasonable person to think that's probably not a good idea. But to give an idea, here's a super simplistic rundown what goes through my feeble brain every pitch

-Count?
-Outs?
-Runners? Where are they?
-Where on the field is my partner and is he in position?
-If I'm behind the plate, did we make eye contact and signal each other, i.e. are we both on the same page?
-Infield fly situation?
-Where am I going on a ground ball?
-Where am I going on a fly ball?
-Again, count?
-Again, outs?
-Is the batter in the box?
-Pitcher set?
-Call ball/strike.
-Start over.

And that's only for a swing or taken pitch. What I'm getting at is it's a constant barrage of shit going on for 2 plus hours, and if I'm being honest, I don't have time to think about whether I'm calling a game one-sided or not. When a play happens in front of you you literally have half a second to decide what you saw and call it. Any longer than that and you're not going to get asked to officiate too many more games. And I'm not on TV, or in front of 15,000 people who hate me, or worried that if I F up really bad that I might lose my livelihood. When I'm calling pitches I'm too focused on watching where it crosses to think, "Hmm, that was close, but XYZ coach was a dick last week, and I missed one bad a couple batters ago, and it's fucking hot out here and they're down by like 9 runs anyway, but I went to HS with this pitcher's mom and she's hot and just got divorced last year STRIKE!

Doesn't work like that in any sport. If people think so they don't have a clue, and that's why I don't rag on officials.

Yes, some of them suck, but I've never met one who was out to get another team, and if they suck it's been my experience that they definitely suck equally bad for both teams

Latest posts