steve McCarty

franstheman

Seriously I see a lot of people crying on here about how we're screwed with Steve as our backup PG but really he's going to be a very solid player for us if he can do one thing....add weight.

-he has good handles
-he has good on ball defense
-he has good athleticism
-has a good jump shot
-has good court vision and is a great passer

all he needs is to add some muscle so he can finish at the rim and i believe he would be a very good PG. we'll be fine have faith.

Seriously I see a lot of people crying on here about how we're screwed with Steve as our backup PG but really he's going to be a very solid player for us if he can do one thing....add weight.

-he has good handles
-he has good on ball defense
-he has good athleticism
-has a good jump shot
-has good court vision and is a great passer

all he needs is to add some muscle so he can finish at the rim and i believe he would be a very good PG. we'll be fine have faith.

I'm glad we got a solid walk-on...but if this kid was so good he would have more offers than 2 low major schools. The teams we will be playing in the Big 10 have backup PG's with multiple high major offers....that is why people are "crying". We need to be recruiting top 150 players on a consistent basis if we want to compete in the Big 10. I'm sure Steve will do a fine job on the scout team...but there is no reason he should be seeing the floor this early in his career for any high major school.

I'm glad we got a solid walk-on...but if this kid was so good he would have more offers than 2 low major schools. The teams we will be playing in the Big 10 have backup PG's with multiple high major offers....that is why people are "crying". We need to be recruiting top 150 players on a consistent basis if we want to compete in the Big 10. I'm sure Steve will do a fine job on the scout team...but there is no reason he should be seeing the floor this early in his career for any high major school.

Thank you Captain obvious.

The only reason he was offered to walk on is obvious,Related to Marble..not even in the top 75pgs in Michigan,I witnessed freshman outplay him..

The only reason he was offered to walk on is obvious,Related to Marble..not even in the top 75pgs in Michigan,I witnessed freshman outplay him..

Now you witnessed this how? You seem to be intent on bashing the kid as you have found it necessary to do so on every thread about him. This would make me think that maybe he outplayed you a time or two and you just have had a hard time getting over it...

The kid is a walking on, we do not expect him to be a starter, but every little bit will be appreciated. Thanks for your input, but I think that I will wait to see him with my own eyes...

Now you witnessed this how? You seem to be intent on bashing the kid as you have found it necessary to do so on every thread about him. This would make me think that maybe he outplayed you a time or two and you just have had a hard time getting over it...

The kid is a walking on, we do not expect him to be a starter, but every little bit will be appreciated. Thanks for your input, but I think that I will wait

to see him with my own

eyes...

Ive seen him play over 40 times,summer,winter,its what I do,Scout..Im stating the obvious,not bashing,You Iowa fans live in a dream world sometimes.

So why do you feel the need to provide negative comments about the kid?

I have a hard time believing you actually "scout" players. People in the business of "scouting" players generally have a more professional air about them and rarely, if ever, knock down a kid. They may say what the player needs to improve on, but rarely put it in negative terms.

I think you're just a high school kid who maybe plays for an opponent of his.

It is great that we are getting some talented walk ons, they do help the program. But some of you are making way to much of them and act as if they a huge impact on the upcoming season. I am afraid you are setting yourself up for a huge let down. If the kid is truly that talented then why wasn't he offered a scholarship anywhere else other than Sacramento State and Buffalo?

I'll say this again. If Iowa enters next season with nothing but true freshman walk ons to back up Cully in an up tempo game then Iowa is really going to struggle next year. Perhaps the coaching staff is mainly targeting a big 2011 class, I am fine with that. But next year is going to be painful.

Last edited:
I dont think anybody thinks Steve is going to be the answer, but we're glad to have him on board. If he can give us some minutes during the season,quality practice time,or become a big ten player all will be pluses. No need to cut him down cause he's going to pay his way to a quality school and try to play basketball,/contribute to our rebuilding program. Sure he's related to our all-time leading scorer big deal. We will sign somebody here shortly,I would think Michigan has it's own problems to deal with,not to worry about Iowa walk-ons

It's not really fair to expect a new coaching staff to be able to sign top 50 players when 99% had already committed. We will be fine....and when we sign our '11 recruits, we will be even better.

I think the people complaining about a walkon PG are idiots, if our season comes down to that, we probably aren't very good to begin with.

People always find stupid things to complain about.

Those that come on here and put down a walk-on seem to be on even a lower level than those that are compaining about a walk-on...especially when they are not even Hawk fans...

I don't see anyone making a big deal out of him. I think it's great that we're getting decent walk-ons. The fact the 2 we have now are relatives of former players tells me a lot about what those ex-players think of McCaffery.

Well, I guess I'm not positive McCarty's actually "related" to Roy Sr. (could be a cousin from his mom's side I suppose). But, the point remains a positive one.

Latest posts