Steve Lavin?

Steve Lavin...very successful. Although out of coaching, still very much associated the game. Has to research and plan for his ESPN job...scouting / knowing what other programs are doing is not a problem. Coaching? Not a problem. Recruiting? Hire a midwest guy or pull Paul Biancardi away from ESPN. Not only was PB a successful assistant at Ohio State, he's also the head National Recruiter for HS & College Basketball. His contacts / recruiting would be a huge help. A tandom that we shouldn't look over...

He is calling the play in game tonight on ESPN.... I guess Barta will have to wait until tommorrow to contact him!

Gottleib just mentioned Dayton's Brian Gregory and UTEP's Barbee, saying "Don't be surprised if they're neck and neck." In regards to the Iowa job.

You are INSANE to want Steve Lavin ahead of 10-15 better canidates like Drew of Baylor, Pastner of Memphis, Mike Davis of UAB, Keno Davis, Marshall of Wichita State. LAVIN has NOT coached for 8 years!! He is out of the loop as far as recruiting goes. He has a gig watching and breaking down games, not recruiting big time athletes and managing a major D1 program. He is flashy and looks good on TV...who hoo! That's a perfect reason to hire him morons. Why not hire digger phelps or Dick Vitale or Jay Bilas. Wake up.

Gottleib just mentioned Dayton's Brian Gregory and UTEP's Barbee, saying "Don't be surprised if they're neck and neck." In regards to the Iowa job.
He also mentioned Fran McCaffrey - coach at Siena. Of course, Gottlieb was recruited by McCaffrey to Notre Dame.

I put Lavin as my # 2 behind Pearl. I was suprised to see that there were quite a few others that had him listed in their top 5.

So... I'm kind of posting this to bump this thread and see reasons why people wouldn't want him as our next coach.

Has not coached in 8 years!! He is not a good choice. Many better choices out there who are actively on the recruiting circuit and who have RECENTLY managed a DIV 1 program. Let a mid-major take a chance on him. We need a recently proven winner with current recruiting connections and activity.:mad:

Has not coached in 8 years!! He is not a good choice. Many better choices out there who are actively on the recruiting circuit and who have RECENTLY managed a DIV 1 program. Let a mid-major take a chance on him. We need a recently proven winner with current recruiting connections and activity.:mad:

If you are going to say there are better choices at least give me some names.

I hope your choices went to the tourney 6-7 years, with an elite 8 apperance, and has a national name that high school student athletes recognize.

Obviously he hasn't been coaching its not like he has been far from the game of college basketball as a broadcaster for ESPN.

He should at least be an option. He was a grad assistant under Gene Keady and is at least familiar with the Big Ten. Like others have said, he is a good recruiter and has instant name recognition working for ESPN which recruits will know him right away.

He should at least be an option. He was a grad assistant under Gene Keady and is at least familiar with the Big Ten. Like others have said, he is a good recruiter and has instant name recognition working for ESPN which recruits will know him right away.

Maybe some people will take Lavin into more consideration since the reality of Keno, Pearl and some of the coaches that were othe others wish lists don't seem to be interested.

Why hasn't anybody else hired Steve Lavin in the past 8 years and why has he been on our list the past two searches? Terrible situation if we have to hire Steve Lavin to be our new head coach.

Why hasn't anybody else hired Steve Lavin in the past 8 years and why has he been on our list the past two searches? Terrible situation if we have to hire Steve Lavin to be our new head coach.

I think if he WANTED to coach in the past 8 years he could have gotten a job. Maybe he just hasn't wanted to get back into coaching. There are pro's / cons for every coach. I think Lavin's only con is he hasn't been coaching for 8 years but he has been analyzing basketball and with him working at ESPN I bet more recruits know who he is over Barbee, Forbes, etc...

At least Lavin has some head coaching experience. Also, he has sent some of his former players to the NBA. This could help him when it comes to recruiting and convincing young kids to come play for him and he can develop them into and NBA star like Baron Davis. Many of these young talented athletes want an opporutnity to fulfill their dream of becoming an NBA player.

There is less then 5 percent chance of this even happening anyways, but why would you site coaches that have had hardly success at the mid major level as better hires? He didn't get hit by a car and forget how to coach. I'm pretty sure someone who talks in front of millions of viewers on tv isn't going have any trouble getting over being "out of touch" of recruiting.

Latest posts