Steady Iowa is No. 30 in 2018 preseason college football rankings

I’m trying to stay positive although I pointed out a few months ago that losing our NFL level defensive back, three starting linebackers and your starting backfield are huge loses.

The positive is that the linebacker position is one of the easiest positions to learn as long as you have strength, speed, and quick thinking abilities.

I think our starting two running backs will be adequate but if injuries occur (and likely they will) it could ugly back there.

Stanley could be one of our best quarterback as far as throwing the ball and I hope that their assessment of our offensive line is incorrect. Not too many quarterbacks are affective when lying on their back or running for their lives, especially as lacking for speed as Stanley is.

A semi-soft schedule means seven wins easy this season. If our offensive line can exceed expectations then that could easily jump to nine to ten wins. If the offensive line falters we could be looking at one of those 6-6 seasons and we know the critics will be howling (justifiable so). Don’t worry Kirk the crowd likes to wave at the hospital after the first quarter and the pretty boy AD is no true sports enthusiast.

I know that’s a mixed review but Stanley looks to be really good and the speed on the outside gives him legit targets to throw to if he is giving the seven seconds he needs.

The key to this season rest on the offensive line and the offensive play calling. If those are bad move on to basketball season.......................................... yikes. :confused:

Seven seconds? ANY QB given seven seconds should win a Heisman. In a landslide.

If I were to venture a guess at the source of Michigan's problems, I would point to the problems with running a pro style offense at the college level. Having a capable and proficient quarterback is a necessity for running a pro style offense. Getting good pro style quarterbacks at the college level, and consistently having them ready to play, has been an issue for a few decades now. I think it is a fundamental to Michigan's problems on offense. On paper Michigan's offense looks like it should turn the corner. Maybe it will, if the quarterback play is there.

I tend to agree with this, that you need good QB play, but you don't need a great QB to do it. Since the start of 2009, Wisconsin is 94-28 and we haven't had 1 4 star QB during that period. IMO, to make a PRO style game work you need a good dependable running game, a good line, and a good game plan, and an OC that knows how to call a game and make adjustments, if necessary. I think all of those are just as important as solid QB play.

I tend to agree with this, that you need good QB play, but you don't need a great QB to do it. Since the start of 2009, Wisconsin is 94-28 and we haven't had 1 4 star QB during that period. IMO, to make a PRO style game work you need a good dependable running game, a good line, and a good game plan, and an OC that knows how to call a game and make adjustments, if necessary. I think all of those are just as important as solid QB play.

I agree to an extent. I would say Wisconsin is the exception rather than the rule in that though. The consistency with which they have built up their program has been nothing short of amazing. That is a discussion in itself.

I’m trying to stay positive although I pointed out a few months ago that losing our NFL level defensive back, three starting linebackers and your starting backfield are huge loses.

The positive is that the linebacker position is one of the easiest positions to learn as long as you have strength, speed, and quick thinking abilities.

I think our starting two running backs will be adequate but if injuries occur (and likely they will) it could ugly back there.

Stanley could be one of our best quarterback as far as throwing the ball and I hope that their assessment of our offensive line is incorrect. Not too many quarterbacks are affective when lying on their back or running for their lives, especially as lacking for speed as Stanley is.

A semi-soft schedule means seven wins easy this season. If our offensive line can exceed expectations then that could easily jump to nine to ten wins. If the offensive line falters we could be looking at one of those 6-6 seasons and we know the critics will be howling (justifiable so). Don’t worry Kirk the crowd likes to wave at the hospital after the first quarter and the pretty boy AD is no true sports enthusiast.

I know that’s a mixed review but Stanley looks to be really good and the speed on the outside gives him legit targets to throw to if he is giving the seven seconds he needs.

The key to this season rest on the offensive line and the offensive play calling. If those are bad move on to basketball season.......................................... yikes. :confused:
Keep CAP from GAME plan office!!! Let him "hang" with Barney and Fred and eat Stone Burgers from Wilma and Betty's kitchen.Rock solid food.VERY basic no?

Seven seconds? ANY QB given seven seconds should win a Heisman. In a landslide.

Lol, can you tell I am thinking “DEEEEEEEP” routes. Hit a couple of those and that seven in the box stuff will come to an end. Then pile drive them with our running backs.

I remember the game where our tight end (Tony M.) caught two 15 to 20 yard pass and had long runs for TD’s. A couple of those will loosen a defense also.

What we can’t do is run, run, and then attempt to get a first down on third and long. That’s playing right into their hands.

Lol, can you tell I am thinking “DEEEEEEEP” routes. Hit a couple of those and that seven in the box stuff will come to an end. Then pile drive them with our running backs.

I remember the game where our tight end (Tony M.) caught two 15 to 20 yard pass and had long runs for TD’s. A couple of those will loosen a defense also.

What we can’t do is run, run, and then attempt to get a first down on third and long. That’s playing right into their hands.

Well we can put 8 blockers out there 6 of which can target 1 side of a defensive formation which is pretty much hat on a hat. You run power until you have 10 guys committed to the box and then you leak out those TE's and Bam big play. That is our most likely plan of attack this season.

The real story is what we do when the power run gets behind the chains. At least we have a proven QB and more weapons to throw to.

If only we didn't have anecdotal evidence of all of us being concussed by slamming our heads against the wall!

Admittedly, we did at times break tendency. "At times, though, means our "tendency" is a little too..."predictable".

If we just threw on first and/or second down every third series I bet we would see a real difference.

On the other hand, second half Maryland 2014, where we abandoned the run after Weisman destroyed them on a TD drive, was just as maddening.

I would be thrilled to see a true fake on a jet sweep/ghost motion just to be able to say we actually did it more than the one time I actually remember us doing it!

If only we didn't have anecdotal evidence of all of us being concussed by slamming our heads against the wall!

Admittedly, we did at times break tendency. "At times, though, means our "tendency" is a little too..."predictable".

If we just threw on first and/or second down every third series I bet we would see a real difference.

On the other hand, second half Maryland 2014, where we abandoned the run after Weisman destroyed them on a TD drive, was just as maddening.

I would be thrilled to see a true fake on a jet sweep/ghost motion just to be able to say we actually did it more than the one time I actually remember us doing it!

I agree.

Who were those guys that destroyed Ohio State. I literally was asking that question by the end of the third quarter. Who are these guy the NE Patriots?

Well we can put 8 blockers out there 6 of which can target 1 side of a defensive formation which is pretty much hat on a hat. You run power until you have 10 guys committed to the box and then you leak out those TE's and Bam big play. That is our most likely plan of attack this season.

The real story is what we do when the power run gets behind the chains. At least we have a proven QB and more weapons to throw to.

I’m for trying anything new. I don’t know if your old enough to remember the movie “War Games” but like the guy said when it looked we were heading into nuclear war............ “I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help.”

I’m for trying anything new. I don’t know if your old enough to remember the movie “War Games” but like the guy said when it looked we were heading into nuclear war............ “I’d piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help.”

With Matthew Broderick? I remember it vaguely.

Wisky would never expect us to do a fake punt! Lol! Lets run out of a bunch of 3 and 4 TE sets a few times and really confuse them!

It's all about feeling the vibes from the other team.
I know it sounds like some hippie bs, but it's not.
You already know what your team is good at, what plays are ran with the highest degree of accuracy and consistency. From there it's about reading the vibes of the other team and exploiting them.
It's how a musician can play without knowing how to read music. It's what makes a good card player great. It's how people meet and pick up potential mates.
It's being in tune.

LMAO!!! Can you imagine the QB going to Brian and suggesting a double reverse quarterback flea flicker and Kirk telling him you can’t do that you might get sacked for a loss or fumble the ball or throw an interception and then Brian getting angry at his dad and saying that? Then Kirk would correct Brian for cursing in public. “Brian what did I tell you about cursing?

LMAO!!! Can you imagine the QB going to Brian and suggesting a double reverse quarterback flea flicker and Kirk telling him you can’t do that you might get sacked for a loss or fumble the ball or throw an interception and then Brian getting angry at his dad and saying that? Then Kirk would correct Brian for cursing in public. “Brian what did I tell you about cursing?

Lol I could write days of funny scripts of conversations between Brian and Kirk.

Latest posts