State of passing game

The 2 receivers expected for strong seasons are non existent.

Seth Anderson- do t think i have seen him all year

Kaleb Brown - been in 1/2 dozen time. Is he still on the doghouse with Kirk??

I am far from an expert. Just a regular fan and arm chair QB, and even I can see that cade just won't throw down field. There are open guys down field, he just either doesn't see them, or isn't able/willing to make the throws.

When you're running the ball as well as we are, there are guys open off play action. Throw them the ball, brother!

Not defending Cade, as he clearly isn't bringing much playmaking to the table, but at least he is protecting the ball and not making negative plays. That alone is an improvement over Hill.

There is no evidence that Sullivan would be any better, but in my view, there is not much to lose in giving him a series or two off the goal line and seeing if he presents a spark. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, and assuming he can hand the ball off with the same deft skill as CM, he literally could not be any worse.

I think it’s fair to the players. These aren’t freshman players, we’re talking about a very veteran team that needs to nut up.
As a team, I agree. I was referring specifically to the offensive skill players, who are still adjusting to a new system with a QB that hasn't had hardly any meaningful snaps in two years.

That said, I'm not giving any kind of pass to the OL. There are no excuses for the players or Barnett this season. Zero. Thus far, I would say we have seen improvement in run blocking, albeit inconsistent. Technique in pass-pro has been terrible at times, especially along the interior. There's no excuse for getting overpowered physically over and over at this point. Barnett has had more than enough time to get these players prepared physically and mentally.

As a team, I agree. I was referring specifically to the offensive skill players, who are still adjusting to a new system with a QB that hasn't had hardly any meaningful snaps in two years.

That said, I'm not giving any kind of pass to the OL. There are no excuses for the players or Barnett this season. Zero. Thus far, I would say we have seen improvement in run blocking, albeit inconsistent. Technique in pass-pro has been terrible at times, especially along the interior. There's no excuse for getting overpowered physically over and over at this point. Barnett has had more than enough time to get these players prepared physically and mentally.
I think it is pretty off base to throw shade at Barnett and the OL right now. They are playing well and Iowa has the best running game without much of a threat of a pass in the country because of the play of the OL. Do they get beat in pass protection some? Yes. But, the larger issue with the passing game is a QB who is unwilling to throw the ball down field and has been inaccurate way too much in the short game. The OL can't throw the ball for CM.

I think the success of our running game has more to do with Kaleb Johnson and less to do with our OL blocking. Even the announcers commented on a couple of his runs that "there was nothing there" and Johnson broke tackles to turn the play into something.
Pass blocking is not good.
Not impressive for an OL that has been three years in the making.

I think it is pretty off base to throw shade at Barnett and the OL right now. They are playing well and Iowa has the best running game without much of a threat of a pass in the country because of the play of the OL. Do they get beat in pass protection some? Yes. But, the larger issue with the passing game is a QB who is unwilling to throw the ball down field and has been inaccurate way too much in the short game. The OL can't throw the ball for CM.
You're welcome to have your perspective. As I stated, there have been gains in the run-blocking, though inconsistent.

What I'm referencing are persistent technique issues, in terms of hand placement, pad level, etc. In particular, the guard positions have been overpowered way too often, or completely whiffed. Any player will get beat occasionally, but the frequency is way too high.

Too often, McNamara immediately has someone in his face, with Stephens and/or Colby standing there watching it happen. No QB is going to be effective if there are weak links in protection.

I'm not "throwing shade" or calling out players. My issue remains Barnett. IMO, he hasn't shown anything in his tenure to justify Kirk's assertion that he is an "excellent coach."

I think the success of our running game has more to do with Kaleb Johnson and less to do with our OL blocking. Even the announcers commented on a couple of his runs that "there was nothing there" and Johnson broke tackles to turn the play into something.
Wowza. So, in all three of his TDs, for the most part, Johnson was not touched until he was in the endzone. Now, that first one was mostly his speed getting wide, but man if you didn't see some gaping holes for our RBs on Saturday, you watched a different game than I did.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CZkUUyuSw

I think both deserve credit. KJ has made some fantastic runs, some when there was nothing there. He has also benefited from some very good outside zone blocking that, to me, is much improved over last year.

Wowza. So, in all three of his TDs, for the most part, Johnson was not touched until he was in the endzone. Now, that first one was mostly his speed getting wide, but man if you didn't see some gaping holes for our RBs on Saturday, you watched a different game than I did.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CZkUUyuSw
We agree here. There have been times where the OL has opened up huge holes, especially crashing down and allowing the RBs to cut to the backside.

You're welcome to have your perspective. As I stated, there have been gains in the run-blocking, though inconsistent.

What I'm referencing are persistent technique issues, in terms of hand placement, pad level, etc. In particular, the guard positions have been overpowered way too often, or completely whiffed. Any player will get beat occasionally, but the frequency is way too high.

Too often, McNamara immediately has someone in his face, with Stephens and/or Colby standing there watching it happen. No QB is going to be effective if there are weak links in protection.

I'm not "throwing shade" or calling out players. My issue remains Barnett. IMO, he hasn't shown anything in his tenure to justify Kirk's assertion that he is an "excellent coach."
Ultimately, these are still kids and they are developing. Pass blocking against a really good defensive line is tough. You are going up against quicker guys and guards and centers getting fooled and beat happens in every game to every team. They have room to improve, no doubt. But, as a whole, and OL is playing very, very well right now.

I watched the Nebbie game and their OL has even more experience than ours and I consistently saw Illinois defenders beat the OL and get easy pressure. The difference is QB play. DR can scramble and has a big, accurate arm. CM does not have those traits. There are plays to be made in the passing game even with OL pass blocking that needs to be better. CM is not making those plays.

Agree that the OL has been stout in the running game...there are numerous big runs where our RBs have an alley a mile wide. But I think this season also illustrates the importance of a difference-making back. KJ's 1st TD (ball put on the 1.5 yd on review) should have been a 3 yd loss. His last TD could have easily been a short gain. His improved patience, pad-level, and leg drive, combined with the burst he has always had, make him the sort of weapon we have not had since Wadley (Goodson was very good, but not at this level).

On twitter Hawkeyegamefilm has been flummoxed by what he sees as consistent mis-identification of blitzers/protection (this has been a consistent problem for a couple years). That could be on QB, it could be on OL calls, even the RBs/TEs have a role in it. Somehow we are not consistently on the right page. If that is the case, presumably it is fixable, but you also have to wonder why it hasn't been fixed YET.

Latest posts