Stat Not Talked About - Offensive Plays Per Game.

MelroseHawkins

I remember when Greg Davis was hired as the offensive coordinator Iowa tried to institute some of his philosophy and mesh it with Kirk's philosophy and style. Part of that was going more to a non-huddle offense to get the plays in quicker and allow the QB more time to read the defense or audible. I also remember them doing that to gain more offensive plays per game and I believe I remember them wanting to get up in and around the 80 plays a game range.

Iowa is currently pretty much 3rd from the bottom in number of offensive plays per game averaging 60. I think this is reflective of how bad the offense has been and not being able to sustain long drives. A lot of 3 and outs. I understand that Iowa this year wants to slow the game down and take time to shorten the game and slow the tempo down. This has been a trend for Iowa over the past years.

Iowa is towards the bottom if not the bottom and has ran a total of 350 offensive plays on the season.

Last edited:
So many stats that lead us down the same old rat hole.

I saw a guy on twitter, it seemed like each hour he'd post another facet of the iowa suck. I sat back and thought about how frustrated he must be, I realized I felt the same way...but that was his therapy. I get it.

Well, I did not intend just to beat the horse and have to point out every stat. I was wondering last night how many plays Iowa actually is running a game, then remembered how they made it an effort to increase the number when Greg Davis came in. I suspected it declined over time again so looked it up. This thread is more to point out how Iowa is so behind in the number of plays ran a game than to point out their offense sucks. That was not the goal.

At least I'm not resurrecting 4 yr old threads. ;);)

3 of the top 5 teams in fewest points allowed are from the Big 10. One is Iowa. Therefore, 50% of the top 5 teams in fewest points allowed have a common opponent.

This tells me more about Iowa's offense than their defenses.

3 of the top 5 teams in fewest points allowed are from the Big 10. One is Iowa. Therefore, 50% of the top 5 teams in fewest points allowed have a common opponent.

This tells me more about Iowa's offense than their defenses.

Was this supposed to be in this thread?

Was this supposed to be in this thread?

Yah. I was waxing on about stats. But I started to realize I was droning on about a thousand different things that were marginally related and typing out my usual buffoonery.

I love numbers. But I'm not always into 'stats'. I started this post getting into all sorts of nonsense. I found this one interesting from a Freakonomics-like standpoint. Then I got into that Big 10 Network promo where the coaches all talked about overrated stats and Kirk went with "offensive yards per game". And I sorta defended him. Cause, a game and a team is rather complex and stats don't always tell the story.

But I liked this stat, because it showed that 50% of the top 5 defenses (in points allowed) have played the team with the worst offense. That feels like a telling stat that accounts for the complexities of a team, etc.

So yeah, I was going very TLDR full of utter nonsense (much like I'm starting to now) and backspaced out of it....but left that little observation.

I'm trying to be better at backspacing in life. I try to remember the mantra "Backspace is your friend." I need to use it more.

Last edited:
" I love numbers..."

I'm reminded of that Mighty Mouse eppisode where the crooks stole all the numbers. Yep, imagine that a world without numbers. It was a classsic! Which inspired me to imagine if somenoe stole all the O's in ohio this week, maybe took them back and dumped them on Kirk's yard...maybe he'd keep one before giving them back. Maybe the hawks woud have a chance.

1666216544677.png

Last edited:

Latest posts