Starting Quarterback

That's just you trying to play a couch psychologist in the same way I am the other way. Is there any way of knowing which one of us is more right then the other? It's not an answer we'd get with any certainty. The players take it as they are the ones getting booed and that's what matters at the end of the day when it's being done. Which is why I wish it wouldn't be. But good luck with that...
Tell me, when Stanley missed TJ on that wide open pass against PSU, do you think the fans were upset with BF's play call or Nate's execution?

So yeah, there's that.

The thing about booing is it only takes like 10% of the fans to make boos sound loud because that particular low vowel sound cuts through the general crowd noise. So, even if most of the people are respectful, it doesn't take too many knuckleheads to make it sound like everyone is booing a 19 year old kid (or an allegedly injured kid :) ). The truth is, there is nothing to be done about it so I don't pause too much. Kids should understand the dynamic when they accept a DI football scholly.

Petras should just stand at the 50 and scream: "Are you not entertained!!?????" The crowd is fickle......

Last edited:
While Petras in no outsized way influenced our original wins as much as the defense did, Padilla on the other hand greatly influenced our recent wins by his natural/learned QB skills. You can’t argue that the competitors were lesser for Padilla, because Padilla’s mobility skills would’ve positively influenced both the Wisky and Pee-due games. Padilla has starting QB skills, while Petras has only backup QB skills, due evidently to some cognitive issue in sufficiently interpreting pass routes. Petras should only enter the game for his expertise with the QB sneak, which would automatically make the opposing defense wonder if the inferred play was a deception, and possibly not load the box. ... And, ah, Padilla knows how to slide.

Tell me, when Stanley missed TJ on that wide open pass against PSU, do you think the fans were upset with BF's play call or Nate's execution?

So yeah, there's that.
And those same fans cheered him when he threw 5 Tds against OSU. But yeah there's always going to be some individual plays here and there where the minority get loud and do that.

This would be different in that the kid would be getting booed just by trotting out there to take the first snap. So there's that...

And those same fans cheered him when he threw 5 Tds against OSU. But yeah there's always going to be some individual plays here and there where the minority get loud and do that.

This would be different in that the kid would be getting booed just by trotting out there to take the first snap. So there's that...
Ok, I will point you back to Adam Shada. That kid was booed by fans for just stepping foot into Kinnick. He got boos on senior day.

To end this, I will disagree with your idea that fans don't really boo players. Because they do, even the ones the cheer for when the going is good.

It is ok that we disagree.

Padilla has a number of things going for him. Two wins and no losses to his record. No questions about injury status. He started out well in both games. His mobility helps with an struggling offensive line. He has a very quick release. He's been reasonably accurate without any major game time quirks so far. He hasn't been sacked for a loss very often. He's also done fairly well at big plays.

Against Padilla are inability to sustain drives (which is more of a team thing, Patras included.) Padilla is still low on playing experience. This limits play calling. (Although the offensive line situation is as much or more of a limit on play calling.) Padilla's quick decision making and throw hasn't been without its flaws. He's lucky to have few interceptions. I think the play calling with a lead has been super protective because of Padilla's relative inexperience and the errant throws he's gotten away with thus far.

I would be a bit surprised if Patras got the start, given his arm injury has not been tested under playing conditions. Wouldn't be surprised to see Patras at some point in the game, just to get a look at how well he does. They might also want to limit the number of throws Patra gets to avoid reinjury.

If they start Petras again this program is f'ed up. If I was Padilla I would enter the portal the minute after they announced Petras as the starter.
"Well here we go fans lets see who the QB will be..................well here comes Petras and I just saw that Padilla just put out a tweet that he is entering the portal." Other announcer "You are correct and I think I just saw Padilla put his cell phone back into his duffle bag." Lol

If they start Petras again this program is f'ed up. If I was Padilla I would enter the portal the minute after they announced Petras as the starter.
If I was Padilla, I would not over-react.

Remember Iowa started jake C. one more time after Stanzi got his first start. It was Jake's last chance and he blew it. It was all Stanzi after that.

I think the coaches were trying to do the same thing with Rudock and CJB in 2014 where CJB got a start because Rudock got hurt, but then they went back to Rudock and surprisingly Ruduck led Iowa to a blow out win. So Iowa was stuck with Rudock the rest of of year, but they still eventually switched to CJB after Iowa collapsed down the stretch.

I am.not saying he deserves it,, but If Petras gets another start, it will be his last chance. If he fails it will be all Padilla from then on.

I'm with everyone else on here in that I am for Padilla starting the game. Has better touch on passes and sees more than the primary receiver. Patras locks in on his primary receiver way too much. Padilla also is a step quicker and that gives him a little more chance to scramble for time. One QB has the speed of a turtle and the other has the speed of a turtle with a ten pound weight attached to one of his legs.

Padilla must start

He brings excitement and ability to the team

We must win these last two games

10-2 is an outstanding record and will get us a solid bowl game

Can't take a chance of Petras not being 100% this game

Don't really want to play Ohio State in the BiG Championship Game

Let Wisconsin take the disgraceful slaughter

Then hobble into a bowl game

Petras is the worst starting quarterback in the Ferentz era.

Really?? That is a terrible conclusion considering Jake the Snake Christianson. Jake was not a very good passer, one good throw out of 4. Petras has been a good passer making many good throws in this 12 wins and even in some losses. He really had very few interceptions in all his starts until being way behind Purdue a few weeks ago. He did the job at Iowa State this year.

Looking at all of Kirk's qbs Petras is better than Jake, as good or better than Rudock (just not has fast), better than Beutger and a couple of other early qbs. Hardly the worst.