Starting Quarterback

Brian said in his interview Petras is back healthy.

There's two frickin' games left...let Padilla finish out because he's playing really well and then Petras and Padilla can fight it out next spring.

The biggest concern is what we're going to do for a future backup when Hogan transfers next spring.

Is there anybody that thinks Petras should be put back in?? I mean sure coaches have to do their due diligence but come on... If it's about the team then Padilla gives them the best chance to win. It's just that simple. Athletes get Wally Pipped all the time this isn't a new thing. Petras had himself a pretty significant sample size of a resume and by no means does it entitle him to keep his job at this point.

I am not advocating for this, but it would be a very Iowa thing to do to give them each a couple series in the first half and see who has (I want to say "hot hand", but probably the more accurate way to say it is "less cold hand.").

I hope and believe Padilla should start and Petras is at the ready if Alex starts turning the ball over or can't move the ball effectively.

Petras has not been full go for a couple of weeks. I think Brian will start Padilla and keep Petras as a backup. Padilla needs to be solid. If not, go to Petras.

I actually believe BF knows that Padilla will start, and is just being cagey. Why I do not know. Like the Illinois DC is pacing his room at night with the fear of not knowing which of these vastly different QBs will start for Iowa's jaugernaut offense....

That is a good point, it's not like both quarterbacks are pocket passers so it would put a wrinkle into Illinois defensive game plan.

Is there anybody that thinks Petras should be put back in?? I mean sure coaches have to do their due diligence but come on... If it's about the team then Padilla gives them the best chance to win. It's just that simple. Athletes get Wally Pipped all the time this isn't a new thing. Petras had himself a pretty significant sample size of a resume and by no means does it entitle him to keep his job at this point.
If they were performing the same I'd say go back to Petras.

But last week Padilla had the best QB performance of the year and avoided getting sacked. I don't logically see how you could sit him at this point.

Which, btw...means that if it's logical to keep Padilla rolling, Petras is definitely gonna be strutting out on Duke Slater Field to start the game. Maybe BF and KF know they'll hear the boo birds if that happens and they'll keep Padilla, who knows?

I do know that I like Spencer; my kid and I got to meet him this past spring and talk to him for like 10 minutes and he was a seriously good dude. Asked my kid tons of questions about his football team, what position he plays, asked what other stuff he likes to do, etc...I have no dislike for the guy whatsoever, and I would fucking hate to hear him get booed Saturday afternoon. Let Padilla ride the rest of the (very short) year out, and he and Petras can duke it out this spring.

I am in no way saying Petras should start, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually hurt during the PSU game or early in the Purdue game. If nothing else he has plus arm strength and there were throws starting in the Purdue game where he showed questionable arm strength. That was the game where his performance went from ok/meh to not ok.

That said, I would probably be ok with Paddy starting the rest of the way out to let Spencer truly heal and they can duke it out in bowl prep for the Fiesta Bowl start.

The most unpredictable decision we make offensively this weekend is the waiting game regarding when/if a starting QB will be named heading into the game and who it will be. My opinion we all know the play calling will be vanilla either way so it's in our best interest for the coaches to hold off as long as possible and keep Illinois guessing. It's the only thing wrinkle in the script at this point so why show Illinois our hand.

If they were performing the same I'd say go back to Petras.

But last week Padilla had the best QB performance of the year and avoided getting sacked. I don't logically see how you could sit him at this point.

Which, btw...means that if it's logical to keep Padilla rolling, Petras is definitely gonna be strutting out on Duke Slater Field to start the game. Maybe BF and KF know they'll hear the boo birds if that happens and they'll keep Padilla, who knows?

I do know that I like Spencer; my kid and I got to meet him this past spring and talk to him for like 10 minutes and he was a seriously good dude. Asked my kid tons of questions about his football team, what position he plays, asked what other stuff he likes to do, etc...I have no dislike for the guy whatsoever, and I would fucking hate to hear him get booed Saturday afternoon. Let Padilla ride the rest of the (very short) year out, and he and Petras can duke it out this spring.
You're exactly right about if Petras gets put out there their will be booing... And that sucks. It sucks to be able to predict it. But you can see it coming a mile away. Fans would do it and he doesn't deserve it. Not even a little bit.

Granted the fans would be booing the coaches decision not so much the kid but Petras and his family and the players on the field wouldn't be able to differenciate.

Hopefully they'll make the right choice and we don't have to worry about it

That is a good point, it's not like both quarterbacks are pocket passers so it would put a wrinkle into Illinois defensive game plan.

I hope Padilla starts, plays well and finishes the game with a win. He jumped right in at jNW and his offensive play looked ready to go from the beginning of the Minny game. I said this before that Petras is an above avg QB with good pass protection but for whatever reason he starts slow, wastes the first qtr, and the hawks cant do that anymore.

Petras may be 'healthy' but he still might not have all the speed and strength on his throws that is needed unless an emergency.

I liked what I read about Petras helping and backing Padilla.

You're exactly right about if Petras gets put out there their will be booing... And that sucks. It sucks to be able to predict it. But you can see it coming a mile away. Fans would do it and he doesn't deserve it. Not even a little bit.

Granted the fans would be booing the coaches decision not so much the kid but Petras and his family and the players on the field wouldn't be able to differenciate.

Hopefully they'll make the right choice and we don't have to worry about it

I and so many hawk fans have never booed a hawk player for performance or decision making issues. I cant remember any hawk players on the field for other non-playing issues I wouldnt want to see out there.

But there are still plenty of fans who will boo hawk players.

I was in the stadium in the early 1960's when a lot of fans booed Gary Snook who was having a bad day and a bad end to a season. I didnt know what it was for but I dad told me later.

We should all go in on a really nice drone and fly it above practice since they have tall fences and don't allow anyone in. That way we can see who's getting reps with the 1's and who's getting reps with the 2's. I think I asked the question about what they would do a while back...Does anyone in IC know if there are drone restrictions over uni property?

Rob said there was a time back in the day that a reporter got caught watching practice from a parking garage and JHF had him excommunicated.

Putting Petras out there will get you Petras performance, which is not as good as Padilla and gives the entire team a lesser chance of winning. I surely hope they are not this stupid.

I and so many hawk fans have never booed a hawk player for performance or decision making issues. I cant remember any hawk players on the field for other non-playing issues I wouldnt want to see out there.

But there are still plenty of fans who will boo hawk players.

I was in the stadium in the early 1960's when a lot of fans booed Gary Snook who was having a bad day and a bad end to a season. I didnt know what it was for but I dad told me later.
I suppose there's been some of that here and there. Fans will be fans. But generally I don't think if Petras were to throw 3 strait incompletions to start the game that he'd get booed so much as the coaches for putting him out there to begin with. Maybe I'm naive and trying to see the best in folks but that's my hope anyway.

I suppose there's been some of that here and there. Fans will be fans. But generally I don't think if Petras were to throw 3 strait incompletions to start the game that he'd get booed so much as the coaches for putting him out there to begin with. Maybe I'm naive and trying to see the best in folks but that's my hope anyway.
I am sorry for the bluntness, but this is bullshit. Were the fans booing the coaches for calling a pass play that had a wide open receiver that Stanley over threw?
Did they boo the coaches during Chrisrensen's first year as starter (before anyone knew who Rick-Six was) when he would abuse the turf? Were they booing the coaches when they would boo after Shada would get burnt deep? Hell, were they booing the coaches on senior day when Shada walked out there?

Fans like to say they are only booing the coaches when players make mistakes or play poorly, but that is just a way of justifying their shitty behavior.

I am sorry for the bluntness, but this is bullshit. Were the fans booing the coaches for calling a pass play that had a wide open receiver that Stanley over threw?
Did they boo the coaches during Chrisrensen's first year as starter (before anyone knew who Rick-Six was) when he would abuse the turf? Were they booing the coaches when they would boo after Shada would get burnt deep? Hell, were they booing the coaches on senior day when Shada walked out there?

Fans like to say they are only booing the coaches when players make mistakes or play poorly, but that is just a way of justifying their shitty behavior.
I have a hard and fast rule that I NEVER boo my team. Ever. I'd like to boo the coaches at times and sometimes it's probably justified, but those players will think you're booing them and that's completely fucking unacceptable.

That's just you trying to play a couch psychologist in the same way I am the other way. Is there any way of knowing which one of us is more right then the other? It's not an answer we'd get with any certainty. The players take it as they are the ones getting booed and that's what matters at the end of the day when it's being done. Which is why I wish it wouldn't be. But good luck with that...