Starting 5

NorthKCHawk

I was listening to the new HN podcast and the predicted starting 5 for next season were Uhlis, Perkins, PM, Kris, and Flip. Based upon last season's minutes that is a reasonable prediction, but I hope it is not accurate. That is an offensively challenged starting line-up to say the least. You have almost no proven offensive production out of the 1 and the 5, and only two guys (PM and Kris) that have shown any ability to knock down a 3-ball. I would guess that Perkins, PM, Kris and Flip are locks to start right now. That 5th spot needs to be up for discussion.

Kris is going to have a very good season, but he won't equate his brother. Let's say that PM steps up his game, Perkins keeps ascending, and Flip does a bit better to make up for the loss of scoring with Keegan. You are still trading Uhlis and JBO. Yikes. This team is never gonna be a great defensive team under Fran. It needs to score.

I think you move Perkins over to PG and insert Sandford into the SL. He will knock down 3s, open up the floor, and he is not a huge liability on D.

I could see Bowen starting very early if not to start the season. I still like Sandford coming off the bench for scoring/shooting as we don't have much that is proven other than the projected 4. I also would imagine less minutes used from the bench than most years unless a few players really step up.

Look, I am all in favor of Bowen winning the starting PG role. That means he demonstrated to the coaches that he is an upgrade over Uhlis. I think Uhlis is a good PG, but there is room for improvement. But, my understanding of Bowen is that he is perceived as a better version of Uhlis. He was not a prolific scorer in high school, and was more of a drive and dish sort of a guy who could hit outside shots when needed. If he can truly create off the dribble on a regular basis, he might be the answer.

I still worry about the lack of outside shooting in that lineup. You only have 2 guys who scare you behind the arc. Maybe just 1.

I hope we see some sort of big game by game rotation of Uhlis, Perkins, Bowen, Sandford and PM. It's not who starts, but any combination of the above playing well gets the most minutes that night.

Give Kris majority of the 4s minutes and rotate Flip and Mulravey too depending on who's playing better D and rebounding.

I was listening to the new HN podcast and the predicted starting 5 for next season were Uhlis, Perkins, PM, Kris, and Flip. Based upon last season's minutes that is a reasonable prediction, but I hope it is not accurate. That is an offensively challenged starting line-up to say the least. You have almost no proven offensive production out of the 1 and the 5, and only two guys (PM and Kris) that have shown any ability to knock down a 3-ball. I would guess that Perkins, PM, Kris and Flip are locks to start right now. That 5th spot needs to be up for discussion.

Kris is going to have a very good season, but he won't equate his brother. Let's say that PM steps up his game, Perkins keeps ascending, and Flip does a bit better to make up for the loss of scoring with Keegan. You are still trading Uhlis and JBO. Yikes. This team is never gonna be a great defensive team under Fran. It needs to score.

I think you move Perkins over to PG and insert Sandford into the SL. He will knock down 3s, open up the floor, and he is not a huge liability on D.
Agreed, that backcourt is once again challenged....brick city.....and Flip is not the answer at the 5.

Arguing against myself, we experienced half a season last year where we unsuccessfully played our best starting guard out of position and it was a pretty big flop, so I am leery about making the same mistake with Perkins here. Perkins was playing at a high level at the 2 last year, but that was with JBO playing the 1 and shouldering the outside shooting load. If Perkins can handle the 1 and still be effective, I would consider it. Strongly. Otherwise, I fear we will end up being really good at 2-4, but have real liabilities at 1 and 5.

Fran struck out in the portal, so Flip is the best we got at the 5. Mulvey is coming on I hear. Flip is serviceable. We can get away with one offensive hole in the starting line-up, but not two.

Sandfort should be quick off the bench if he is not starting

He is a scoring threat

Mulvey should also be quick off the bench depending on how much he has improved

We have to replace Keegan's 25 points or become extremely selfish on Defense

Don't forget Connor

He will see minutes, perhaps starting, perhaps not

We will need his leadership on the floor during the course of the games

:cool:

I'm not sure which PG will be the better player this year, but to me the group that could be the most effective together includes Perkins, Sandford, Patrick, and Kris. Outside of Patrick, the other three punch above their weight when it comes to rebounding. Across that group, you have a lot of length on defense and perimeter shooting on offense. Not sure you really need a traditional center against most teams. Even if you are playing a team with a true big man, that guy is gonna have to step out to try to defend the perimeter against Patrick or Kris, and stay with them if they go to the hole.

Arguing against myself, we experienced half a season last year where we unsuccessfully played our best starting guard out of position and it was a pretty big flop, so I am leery about making the same mistake with Perkins here. Perkins was playing at a high level at the 2 last year, but that was with JBO playing the 1 and shouldering the outside shooting load. If Perkins can handle the 1 and still be effective, I would consider it. Strongly. Otherwise, I fear we will end up being really good at 2-4, but have real liabilities at 1 and 5.

Fran struck out in the portal, so Flip is the best we got at the 5. Mulvey is coming on I hear. Flip is serviceable. We can get away with one offensive hole in the starting line-up, but not two.

During that streak when they won 13 of 15, late in games, it was Perk at the point and Jbo running off screens at the 2. In other words, when it was money time Jbo/Perk flipped flop spots. I'm sure you remember games where they spread the floor and let Perk go to work at the top of the key.

Also keep in mind Connor can run the point. Long stretches of his career he has been the back up point guard. If Uhlis/Bowen are struggling you can always go to Conner to back up Perk.

Last edited:
During that streak win they won 13 of 15, late in games, it was Perk at the point and Jbo running off screens at the 2. In other words, when it was money time Jbo/Perk flipped flop spots. I'm sure you remember games where they spread the floor and let Perk go to work at the top of the key.

Also keep in mind Connor can run the point. Long stretches of his career he has been the back up point guard. If Uhlis/Bowen are struggling you can always go to Conner to back up Perk.
I agree with all that except that Connor is a bigger black hole on offense than Uhlis. He can run the offense and get guys in position, but he mainly excelled at feeding the post and we aint got a post anymore. :) For 4 years we have seen teams back away and give Connor wide open 3s and with the exception of a handful of games last year where he got hot, he was not effective. He is just not a scorer.

We need a PG that can create offense in the half court and can push the pace on the break. That aint Connor.

I love Connor. I want him to play. But, his role off the bench was PERFECT last year. If Connor is playing 25 minutes a game, we have some serious concerns at point.

Bowen may not start but he will by the 3rd or 4th game. Iowa has nobody like him that can drive and kick, and have the quickness needed to play point. Iowa will go small as it's best players are all about 6'5 or so.
Kris may even give point a try, but we will most likely need him inside for defense and rebounding. This team should really be able to push pace and play defense. Press, so many ball handlers. Don't forget Dix who will push for playing time. Fran will play a lot of guys.

I agree with all that except that Connor is a bigger black hole on offense than Uhlis. He can run the offense and get guys in position, but he mainly excelled at feeding the post and we aint got a post anymore. :) For 4 years we have seen teams back away and give Connor wide open 3s and with the exception of a handful of games last year where he got hot, he was not effective. He is just not a scorer.

We need a PG that can create offense in the half court and can push the pace on the break. That aint Connor.

I love Connor. I want him to play. But, his role off the bench was PERFECT last year. If Connor is playing 25 minutes a game, we have some serious concerns at point.

Fair. Worst case scenario Conner is playing 10+ minutes at the point. I'm talking games where multiple guys(Uhlis/Bowen/Perk) are struggling at the point and you need someone to run some sets, especially late in tight games...Conner is your dude.

I get your point, tho. Conner is at his best when he is playing the "Draymond Green" role for this team.

Point guard and Iowa? Water and oil baby!
Stop hating. We just graduated a 6-year starter at PG who set just about every scoring record imaginable. That half court bank shot in the tourney last year was worth 5 years of bad defense alone. :)

While Iowa has struggled to land a more athletic PG that could get to the hoop, push the break, and play tough perimeter defense, I think we are heading into a new era with the three young guards we have to fill the PG role next season. I am expecting Bowen to be a program changer, hopefully starting next season.

Look, I am all in favor of Bowen winning the starting PG role. That means he demonstrated to the coaches that he is an upgrade over Uhlis. I think Uhlis is a good PG, but there is room for improvement. But, my understanding of Bowen is that he is perceived as a better version of Uhlis. He was not a prolific scorer in high school, and was more of a drive and dish sort of a guy who could hit outside shots when needed. If he can truly create off the dribble on a regular basis, he might be the answer.

I still worry about the lack of outside shooting in that lineup. You only have 2 guys who scare you behind the arc. Maybe just 1.

I would say maybe just one from the arc as PM was a little shaky at times toward the end of the season. But I hope PM just lights it up this year

My prediction is whatever the lineup is on day 1 it won't be that when the BIG season kicks off. I think the PG position will fluctuate some. I think if Rebraca doesn't improve a kid like Mulvey could sneak in there and steal his time. He's just bigger and longer for the 5 spot and you can't coach that. Sandfort may be too good to keep on the bench. I'm not sure if Fran maneuvers Perkins to the 1 and Sandfort to the 2 but as I said I just think he'll too good and demand more mins

During that streak when they won 13 of 15, late in games, it was Perk at the point and Jbo running off screens at the 2. In other words, when it was money time Jbo/Perk flipped flop spots. I'm sure you remember games where they spread the floor and let Perk go to work at the top of the key.

Is JBo back?

Latest posts