Starting 5 Next Year

C- Mulvey
F- Sandfort
F- PMac
G-Perkins
G-Uhlis/Bowen

Mulvey basically takes over Rbraca's role this year...in Iowa's offense it's not hard to envision him averaging 10pts/7boards. He'll get spelled by JO. It's not that Mulvey & JO can't play, it's just that Fran loves to ride his veterans and Rbraca was a veteran having a great year.
We'll have 3 capable guards; and Dix is likely to come off the bench and play a role similar to the role Sandfort played this year -- won't start but will get lots of minutes if he's hot.
What's missing is a forward to replace Murray, and that's where Fran's portal attention needs to be.
The conundrum is what to do with Uhlis/Bowen. Both are true PGs, and little else. Bowen could start at a lot of D-1 schools tomorrow, so Iowa can't afford to lose him for the future...he probably needs to be told the starting job will be his to lose next year, to keep him around.
Perkins getting poached would be bad news, but so would be losing Dix...an all purpose, excellent ball-handling G/F who can shoot the 3.
SUMMARY: If Fran can land a top-scoring Forward in the portal, there's no reason next year's team can't enjoy as much success as this year's team.
I'm kinda hoping Mulvey and Josh O are decent players who just haven't cracked the rotation too. I also think it's possible Sandfort is the forward that replaces Murray and young Sandfort is the bench forward who replaces Payton. The last minute fallback recruit we got seems like a late bloomer who blew up late in the process. Maybe he could be a sold bench player too. I do think we will need at least two big contributors that weren't in the rotation this year to avoid a fallback year.

He's been injured a good part of the year, just got cleared 3-4 games ago. He won't be a guy who will be starting or see major minutes. But if he can get himself into top shape, I could see him giving some valuable minutes off the bench. Pretty sure Fran would be transparent with the guy about where he stands.
We have been waiting for Josh to get in shape for three years now. Great kid, great attitude, but he is what he is. Not sure there is much more with Mulvey but there is at least the possibility of some upside.

Right now we have one open schollie if only Murray departs with eligibility. I would personally like to see one of the centers transfer and bring in two transfer forwards. That would be 5 post players total, only one of which is currently on campus. We need an infusion.

I don't see Uhlis having as many suitors. His game is pretty limited offensively. Not saying he could not find a new home, of course he could. But, I don't see him being recruited away. He would need to decide that Iowa was not right for him and then look for a new home. JT had a lot of competition at PG and to my understanding was told that there was no guarantees on minutes. Uhlis will be the unquestioned starter at PG next year. How many other schools of Iowa's caliber will hand Uhlis the starting job as he steps on campus?

Perkins would be a highly sought after commodity if he hit the portal. But, let's hope that his loyalty to Fran and the team, as well as potentially being "the man" next year, keeps him in place
Also I'm pretty sure Joe T doesn't even start. If he stayed at Iowa, he very likely would have fallen into the starting role when Ulis did. I'm not saying leaving didn't work out ok for Joe T. I'm just saying it might have worked out even better if he stayed.

Also I'm pretty sure Joe T doesn't even start. If he stayed at Iowa, he very likely would have fallen into the starting role when Ulis did. I'm not saying leaving didn't work out ok for Joe T. I'm just saying it might have worked out even better if he stayed.
He doesn't start but he gets way more minutes than he did at Iowa and also more PP40 and fewer TO40 than he did while he was here.

I got no beef with JT, he did what was best for him and it's worked out for him. He played at 100% as a Hawkeye and he was a class act while he was here.

CJF on the other hand is a dirt bag, he can kiss my fat ass twice. That kid did Fran, his teammates, and Iowa fans dirty.

I realize they likely have similar stats for their Jr. seasons, but Ahron Ulis > Joe Toussaint and give me AU 10 out of 10 times over JT. JT was not good at facilitating or running the offense. He could get to the rack, but then couldn't score or pass. Ulis can get to the hole any time he wants.

IMO - if JT can land at a program as good as West Virginia - chances are good that suitors for AU would be of the same ilk or level as far as program. Most programs are going to want guys who've started in the B1G.

He's been injured a good part of the year, just got cleared 3-4 games ago. He won't be a guy who will be starting or see major minutes. But if he can get himself into top shape, I could see him giving some valuable minutes off the bench. Pretty sure Fran would be transparent with the guy about where he stands.

This is exactly my point I guess.
If he's dedicated, he'd be in shape already.
He's been in the program for almost three full years.
Just not seeing it.

Back to Josh. I thought we learned earlier that he has a medical condition, maybe asthma? So he will never have the top shelf stamina. I don’t think it has been lack of effort for Josh. I thought Fran addressed that. Looking at him in person on the court, he does not look over weight to me. He certainly does not lack effort when he gets a shot.

Back to Josh. I thought we learned earlier that he has a medical condition, maybe asthma? So he will never have the top shelf stamina. I don’t think it has been lack of effort for Josh. I thought Fran addressed that. Looking at him in person on the court, he does not look over weight to me. He certainly does not lack effort when he gets a shot.
Being a pharmacist I can vouch that asthma treatment is light years ahead of where it was even 10 years ago.

It's very controllable via oral, IM, and inhalation therapies.

JO has access to the absolute very best medical care in the world. If asthma is truly an issue, it shouldn't be.

Being a pharmacist I can vouch that asthma treatment is light years ahead of where it was even 10 years ago.

It's very controllable via oral, IM, and inhalation therapies.

JO has access to the absolute very best medical care in the world. If asthma is truly an issue, it shouldn't be.
Just to be clear, I put a ? around asthma.

This is exactly my point I guess.
If he's dedicated, he'd be in shape already.
He's been in the program for almost three full years.
Just not seeing it.
I thought he had a knee injury this year? If so, it's tough to get into top shape if you can't run the floor. That's why I brought that up. If he stays and is healthy, next year will define his time at Iowa, good or otherwise.

Whether illness or ability, I think we can all see what Josh is. I could see him being a 12 minutes a game guy, brings energy, defense, size and 5 additional fouls. Not ever going to be a scorer, but he can get your starter some breaks and not hurt you. I can live with that as a contributor as his size does make him a bit of a match-up problem.

Mulvey on the other hand either needs to demonstrate that he can score and play the 5 at a reasonable level in the Big 10 or he needs to move on. He presents no match-up issues or concerns. He is just a tall skinny dude. The fact that he is seeing almost no minutes on a team that is thin in the front court and he has been on campus two years makes me pessimistic he has the talent. He also does not pass the eye test. But, big guys sometime take a while and there were a lot of people ready to run Garza and Nunge out in the midst of their freshmen seasons.

Whether illness or ability, I think we can all see what Josh is. I could see him being a 12 minutes a game guy, brings energy, defense, size and 5 additional fouls. Not ever going to be a scorer, but he can get your starter some breaks and not hurt you. I can live with that as a contributor as his size does make him a bit of a match-up problem.

Mulvey on the other hand either needs to demonstrate that he can score and play the 5 at a reasonable level in the Big 10 or he needs to move on. He presents no match-up issues or concerns. He is just a tall skinny dude. The fact that he is seeing almost no minutes on a team that is thin in the front court and he has been on campus two years makes me pessimistic he has the talent. He also does not pass the eye test. But, big guys sometime take a while and there were a lot of people ready to run Garza and Nunge out in the midst of their freshmen seasons.
Mulvey's best hope is to turn into Les Jepsen. Les couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time his first three years on campus (including redshirt) but because of the talent surrounding him he could develop at his own pace. He and BJ Armstrong may have spent more spare time at the basketball facilities than anyone on the team, and the hard work paid off-by they time they truly needed Les, he was ready.

Maybe Mulvey turns a corner this off season, or early next season, and becomes a solid contributor.

I thought he had a knee injury this year? If so, it's tough to get into top shape if you can't run the floor. That's why I brought that up. If he stays and is healthy, next year will define his time at Iowa, good or otherwise.
You are correct. His knee injury and recovery were the subject of Fran’s comments on several occasions. Sprained ligaments, I recall.

JO went to the portal and came back. About all you need to know. But damn...we almost won in WL last year without Keegan and he played his ASS off. He's had a handful of moments, but it is what it is.

JO isn't playing. He clearly doesn't understand the game which is worse than being out of shape.

JO went to the portal and came back. About all you need to know. But damn...we almost won in WL last year without Keegan and he played his ASS off. He's had a handful of moments, but it is what it is.
Yeah, he's the only person we have that can remotely come close to matching Edey's weight (still gives up 30lbs). Certainly not height, skill, etc. But he's a big body that Edey can't just move out of the way. Makes him valuable for that, but not much else.

When I think of Josh and RIley

I am reminded of their performances against Puduee in the BIG Championship Game

That is the style of play they are capable of

Damn, hate to leave a hanging preposition

1677882037705.png

Latest posts