Starting 5 Next Year

Fryowa

Administrator
It's time.

Who's going to be the 5th man next year and who are going to get the rest of the minutes? I think it's safe to say there's no debate that we have to pick up another forward in the portal. Sandfort's going to be our biggest body who can actually play after Rebraca leaves. It's pretty safe to say that big Josh and Mulvey ain't it or they'd be getting at least a little time.

So...

Sandfort
Perkins
Pat
Ulis
Bowen/Dix?

That's an ultra small lineup, and it also assumes no one leaves which almost never happens.

Good summary. We need a big body. Does Rebraca get a COVID year?

I would also add that Bowen REALLY should stay, even though he is probably frustrated with the minutes he is getting this year....he is in line for a big role next year. Hopefully the coaching staff is making that clear to him. He has a lot of talent.

What about the recruits coming in? Any chance they play right away?

Perk
Sandfort
Ulis
PM
Transfer

They bring in one transfer, maybe even two.

Good summary. We need a big body. Does Rebraca get a COVID year?

I would also add that Bowen REALLY should stay, even though he is probably frustrated with the minutes he is getting this year....he is in line for a big role next year. Hopefully the coaching staff is making that clear to him. He has a lot of talent.

What about the recruits coming in? Any chance they play right away?
He's older then JBo... So I can't see him wanting to honestly. I bet he's moving on

What's keeping JO in Iowa City anyway?

And/or why is FM keeping JO around?
Maybe he's not good enough to play anywhere else at this level and maybe he wants a degree from Iowa. He's not going to make any money playing basketball, I don't see it being irrational to want to stay and get a degree from a B1G school. That will make him more money in his lifetime than basketball.

And as far as Fran, he's not the type of guy who's going to welch on a scholarship and tell a guy to hit the road.

I can foresee the new recruits getting a ton of minutes, not necessarily starting

But a lot of floor time early in the season so they can contribute in the BIG

With Dix and Bowen plus the incoming lads, we are establishing a very nice squad

It's time.

Who's going to be the 5th man next year and who are going to get the rest of the minutes? I think it's safe to say there's no debate that we have to pick up another forward in the portal. Sandfort's going to be our biggest body who can actually play after Rebraca leaves. It's pretty safe to say that big Josh and Mulvey ain't it or they'd be getting at least a little time.

So...

Sandfort
Perkins
Pat
Ulisbo
Bowen/Dix?

That's an ultra small lineup, and it also assumes no one leaves which almost never happens.

We are going to need a gun-happy Dix on the floor

I can see the Sandforts and Dix on the floor together at times

By the way, TonyP is playing as well as anyone in America right now

He and Ulis bring the ball downcourt Lightning Quick and they are as slippery as a bucket of eels

I can see the Sandforts and Dix on the floor together at times

Last edited:
1. Aaron Ullis
2. Tony Perkins
3. Peyton Sandfort
4. Patrick McCaffery
5. Player to be named later - Iowa will bring in at least 1 if not 2 potal players this season. I think Mulvey makes strides and contributes, but obviously Iowa needs some help in the post and I am going to assume they get it now that NIL option is established.

I had lunch with a buddy yesterday and we discussed this topic. He raised a terrible possibility: a blue blood poaching Perkins.

Absent an infusion of talent in the post, its hard to see any line-up, with what we have coming back alone, as particularly formidable. As we saw, without Murray, this team was pretty pedestrian. Maybe Tony is realistic and sees that next year will be a rebuilding year and maybe he wants a more high profile gig?

Even if he does not look, teams may look at him. If you are a Top 10 team and a guard away from contending for trophies, Tony Perkins would be a very attractive candidate. With NIL, anyone can be lured away for the right price. I bet his parent's phone rings a time or two this Spring. Sorry to be the pessimist in the group.

I agree that we need at least one experienced post player in the portal.

C- Mulvey
F- Sandfort
F- PMac
G-Perkins
G-Uhlis/Bowen

Mulvey basically takes over Rbraca's role this year...in Iowa's offense it's not hard to envision him averaging 10pts/7boards. He'll get spelled by JO. It's not that Mulvey & JO can't play, it's just that Fran loves to ride his veterans and Rbraca was a veteran having a great year.
We'll have 3 capable guards; and Dix is likely to come off the bench and play a role similar to the role Sandfort played this year -- won't start but will get lots of minutes if he's hot.
What's missing is a forward to replace Murray, and that's where Fran's portal attention needs to be.
The conundrum is what to do with Uhlis/Bowen. Both are true PGs, and little else. Bowen could start at a lot of D-1 schools tomorrow, so Iowa can't afford to lose him for the future...he probably needs to be told the starting job will be his to lose next year, to keep him around.
Perkins getting poached would be bad news, but so would be losing Dix...an all purpose, excellent ball-handling G/F who can shoot the 3.
SUMMARY: If Fran can land a top-scoring Forward in the portal, there's no reason next year's team can't enjoy as much success as this year's team.

What's keeping JO in Iowa City anyway?

And/or why is FM keeping JO around?
He's been injured a good part of the year, just got cleared 3-4 games ago. He won't be a guy who will be starting or see major minutes. But if he can get himself into top shape, I could see him giving some valuable minutes off the bench. Pretty sure Fran would be transparent with the guy about where he stands.

I had lunch with a buddy yesterday and we discussed this topic. He raised a terrible possibility: a blue blood poaching Perkins.

Absent an infusion of talent in the post, its hard to see any line-up, with what we have coming back alone, as particularly formidable. As we saw, without Murray, this team was pretty pedestrian. Maybe Tony is realistic and sees that next year will be a rebuilding year and maybe he wants a more high profile gig?

Even if he does not look, teams may look at him. If you are a Top 10 team and a guard away from contending for trophies, Tony Perkins would be a very attractive candidate. With NIL, anyone can be lured away for the right price. I bet his parent's phone rings a time or two this Spring. Sorry to be the pessimist in the group.

I agree that we need at least one experienced post player in the portal.

I would put Ulis in that same boat. Toussaint has been really good for West Virginia…I can see Ulis doing something very similar. You aren’t the only one having those thoughts I have been thinking about the blue bloods sniffing around Perk and Ulis as well.

Iowa is a good program at developing and identifying talent, we're always going to be on the menu for poaching players unfortunately.

I think Perk is solid in the program, no clue on Ulis.

Just a Wild Guess, but Ulis and Perkins are Hawkeyes

F the bluebottle flies

vulpes vulpes brachycera gif | WiffleGif

MFing greedy PIGS

I would put Ulis in that same boat. Toussaint has been really good for West Virginia…I can see Ulis doing something very similar. You aren’t the only one having those thoughts I have been thinking about the blue bloods sniffing around Perk and Ulis as well.
I don't see Uhlis having as many suitors. His game is pretty limited offensively. Not saying he could not find a new home, of course he could. But, I don't see him being recruited away. He would need to decide that Iowa was not right for him and then look for a new home. JT had a lot of competition at PG and to my understanding was told that there was no guarantees on minutes. Uhlis will be the unquestioned starter at PG next year. How many other schools of Iowa's caliber will hand Uhlis the starting job as he steps on campus?

Perkins would be a highly sought after commodity if he hit the portal. But, let's hope that his loyalty to Fran and the team, as well as potentially being "the man" next year, keeps him in place

Latest posts