Starters need only short rest except for the Center combo

No but maybe he cant handle many more minutes as easily as some posters here are implying.

I guess will see if that is case as we go into his Jr. and Sr. years. I personally believe he can handle more than the 23 minute average. Hey I might be wrong and maybe he can't.

There is no doubt that a racehorse first half like at IU is tougher on the players stamina. But a 3 minute rest around a timeout for super conditioned athletes would I suspect get a "Yes" from them whether they are ready to go in and run again.

There is no doubt that a racehorse first half like at IU is tougher on the players stamina. But a 3 minute rest around a timeout for super conditioned athletes would I suspect get a "Yes" from them whether they are ready to go in and run again.

Any athlete with an ounce of competitive spirit in their bones is going to say they are good to go in whenever they are asked.

Its up to Fran to recognize who is rested enough to be able to go back out there and help the team.

Bump, yep I am bumping this because Fran must have read the email I sent him, just kidding.

I was good to see MGesell and Marble doing most of the point work. Oglesby and Uhtoff added up to 40 minutes.

It was mainly the 5 starters + Gabe sharing the center duties and Oglesby getting a lot of 2 guard minutes.

Basabe seemed somewhat out of it today like his minutes at IU sort of sapped him so Uhtoff with 15 minutes and McCAbe with 7 picked up that slack.

The first 10 minutes of 2nd half were a head scratcher but they played tough down the stretch

It is called a discussion, you know this is a discussion site, a fan forum, you act like I am calling and emailing Fran and the Basketball offices with requests to adjust the minutes played.

This is a very innocuous thread compared to many asking that "coaches be fired".

You can read threads or choose not to.

This type of thread is no different than saying "Ferentz should have gone for it on 4th and 1"

Discussions are great. You telling the those of us that like the deeper rotation we're wrong is not a discussion. Sorry. You did make it clear that this is your thread so I'll get out of here. You can keep telling yourself a 7 or 8 man rotation in the upcoming tournament formats is the best option. For the record...I disagree.

Discussions are great. You telling the those of us that like the deeper rotation we're wrong is not a discussion. Sorry. You did make it clear that this is your thread so I'll get out of here. You can keep telling yourself a 7 or 8 man rotation in the upcoming tournament formats is the best option. For the record...I disagree.

I hoped the starters would get more minutes.

I know we are going to play 9 or 10 guys.

And I am just trying to have a little fun.

It would be a different debate Windsor if Iowa really had 9 to 11 players that deserved the time distribution, but the reality is they don't. Fact is Iowa just isn't as deep as you think it is.

We run an 8 man rotation pretty much every game. The problem is that no one knows who those eight will be. I don't count players in the rotation if their min are under 10. Sometimes Uthoff is in the rotation sometimes he isn't. Same with McCabe. We have 7 that are consistently in the rotation and then 2 that it depends on the game (Uthoff and McCabe) and then 1 who plays pretty much every game but not in rotation (clemmons) and one that plays sometimes (jok). So consistently we have a 7 man rotation with 2 that get added in to make it an 8 or 9 man rotation on nights where they can help or are playing well.

anyone who really thinks we have a 9 to 11 man rotation doesn't know what they have been watching during the competitive games.

I won't argue right or wrong. Remember that the use of frequent substitutions has been discussed numerous times by Fran from the very beginning of the season. First, he and the assistant coaches are analyzing the game and determining what combination is the most effective. Secondly, he wants to play very fast, with intensity at the defensive end. Therefore, there is no excuse for a player getting tired, since we have a strong bench. Again, draw your own conclusions about the effectiveness of this theory, but recognize that Fran has been very consistent, and that helps players understand and embrace their roles.

"Secondly, he wants to play very fast, with intensity at the defensive end."

Obviously, this ^^^^^ is not working.

I believe Fran does need to make a rotation change too.

The experimenting time is know over. It is time to establish roles, rotations, and combinations for the final stretch. No more Clemmons and Jok into the game for the 1st time, and together, and in the last 5 mns when behind.

It's time iowa goes with a set rotation template before the game starts, explains it so ll know their roles, and then stick with it. This will eliminate those Fran brain crmps where Gesell or Mel, Oly are forgotten about. These players are what they re through 30 games, we know what they can or can not produce.

So Fran, please step up and lead this team by setting the rotation plan, and let your players perform in the roles they succeed at.

Latest posts