Stanzi time?

PeoriaHWKI

When or is there ever going to be a time we see him on a NFL field. I don't see how anyone can put Palko out there after probably the 2 worst back to back performances I think I ever witnessed by an NFL QB. 7 TO in 2 games and 0 TD? Yet he gets the start against the Bears? What is going on down there?

I assume it's because KC has to running game to protect a rookie qb. Gabbert was a first rounder and he's struggling but at least he has Jones-Drew to shoulder the load. Jackie Battle ain't gettin it done so it's Palko until Orton is ready.

Kyle Orton is an unrestricted free agent after the season and he carries a huge salary. Why the Chiefs signed him this year is kind of mind-boggling unless they think he will become a starter for them moving forward.

Cassel signed a contract extension in 2009 and he comes with a hefty price tag as well. No way the Chiefs keep both Orton and Cassel on their roster. The final three games are going to be Ortons' opportunity to either earn a new contract with the Chiefs or find himself taking a huge paycut in order to become a 2nd stringer for the remainder of his career.

Stanzi and Palko are probably both safe next year unless the Chiefs are able to pick up a top QB prospect. If they do, which is probably highly likely, then they will cut Palko since Palko has a one year contract with the Chiefs and based on his inability this year it will be his last.

Either way, Stanzi will look good carrying a clipboard for the remainder of his career and then he will fade into the sunset. He doesn't have the arm strength nor the accuracy to be a starter in the NFL. Palko is playing simply because he knows the system.

Just to continue the last thought:

The Chiefs are going to have a top 10 draft pick in next years draft. If the underclassmen come out like expected then the draft will be full of QBs. Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehill and Landry Jones are likely first round picks.

If the Chiefs continue their slide and finish with a top 5 pick then Luck Barkley or Griffin will be playing for the Chiefs next year and both Stanzi and Palko will be looking for a new line of work.

I think Haley has given up, and wants to be fired.

Hailey hasn't given up. That is why they brought Orton in. The word here in KC is that they really like Stanzi and they have no desire to feed him to the Wolves. He was not brought in to be a starter right away. He was brought in to learn the sytem, learn from Cassell and be ready to start in 3-4 years. That is the current projection. I would love to see Ricky play, Palko is absolutely awful.

Orton was not brought in to audition for the starting job next year. At the time Cassell got hurt and Orton was picked up, the Chiefs were still right in the race in the AFC West. Now, probably not so much. When the Chiefs finally do give in for the season, I could see them likely cut Orton.

Last edited:
Taken directly out of the KC Star, written by Sam Mellinger:

"Tyler Palko has shown himself to be so bad the Chiefs can’t expect to make any real judgments on the rest of the roster. Ricky Stanzi is so inept the coaches haven’t even considered playing him the last two weeks."

Don't think we will be seeing Stanzi anytime soon.

Taken directly out of the KC Star, written by Sam Mellinger:"Tyler Palko has shown himself to be so bad the Chiefs can�t expect to make any real judgments on the rest of the roster. Ricky Stanzi is so inept the coaches haven�t even considered playing him the last two weeks." Don't think we will be seeing Stanzi anytime soon.
I guess I never thought.stanzi could make it in his senior year here....he locks on to a reciever and wont throw the ball away...doesnt have the vision to be an NFL starter

Taken directly out of the KC Star, written by Sam Mellinger:

"Tyler Palko has shown himself to be so bad the Chiefs can’t expect to make any real judgments on the rest of the roster. Ricky Stanzi is so inept the coaches haven’t even considered playing him the last two weeks."

Don't think we will be seeing Stanzi anytime soon.

If he was that inept they would have simply cut him by now and brought some other journeyman free agent in.

If he was that inept they would have simply cut him by now and brought some other journeyman free agent in.

The only thing they haven't done is cut him. Why cut a player if you have to pay him and you currently aren't deep enough at the position? He will either be 3rd string or cut next year.

I have watched the last 3-4 Chiefs games in the hopes of seeing Stanzi get a shot (Bears fan, couldn't care less about KC normally). He could help himself by not looking like a deer in headlights everytime they cut to a shot of him on the sidelines.

Hailey hasn't given up. That is why they brought Orton in. The word here in KC is that they really like Stanzi and they have no desire to feed him to the Wolves. He was not brought in to be a starter right away. He was brought in to learn the sytem, learn from Cassell and be ready to start in 3-4 years. That is the current projection. I would love to see Ricky play, Palko is absolutely awful.

Orton was not brought in to audition for the starting job next year. At the time Cassell got hurt and Orton was picked up, the Chiefs were still right in the race in the AFC West. Now, probably not so much. When the Chiefs finally do give in for the season, I could see them likely cut Orton.

This.

Stanzi obviously isnt looking good at all in practice. If Palko throws 7 int in two games... I mean it's kind of obvious.

Here are my thoughts:

If KC wants a good QB of the future or a future starting QB, why not 'blow' the rest of this season and possibly get Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley in the upcoming draft? Why take Orton off waivers now? Does KC actually think they can still win the AFC West? 'Cause I don't.

Is KC actually trying to get a new starting QB now? Could they possibly want Orton to take over for Matt Cassel? Do they think Matt Cassel is too fragile? It's the 2nd time in 3 years he's been injured for a good part of a season.

However you analyze it, KC doesn't want Luck or Barkley. The question is: why is that?

Are they 'satisfied' with Stanzi as their future QB?
Is KC grooming Stanzi to be their starting QB/backup for the future?
Is Orton KC's new starting QB with Cassel as backup? IMO, highly unlikely.
Is Orton KC's new starting QB until Cassel is again healthy?

Obviously, Palko will be let go when Orton is ready. Obviously, Stanzi is not ready.

EDIT: If KC really wanted Luck or Barkley and didn't think Stanzi had any value, they would have 'thrown Stanzi to the lions' now. Hopefully, Suh would still be on suspension. Yuk. Yuk.

Last edited:
Because their head coach is still vying for his job.

Orton has been a starting QB for two NFL teams and has done fairly decent at both places considering the talent that he had around him.

Based on what I saw on the sidelines and have read in the media, the relationship between the coach and the QB hasn't exactly been on the same page. Cassell or Orton will be the starting QB next year. I'm assuming they are going to draft a QB in the first round and then take OL and D in all other rounds. I'm not sure that either Orton or Cassell are going to want to mentor a young QB for a few years but there is only one way to find out.

KC has a great RB who will be coming back after nearly 12 months of rehab (once next year starts). They have excellent WRs too. Their D is pretty damn strong too. They were bit by injury this year and even when they weren't Cassell wasn't getting the job done at QB.

Latest posts