Stanzi Bet

DDHawkeye

I just bet two friends of mine that Stanzi will be drafted next year into the NFL. I say he gets drafted, my friends are clearly ignorant and disagree. One of these guys apparently has a learning disability because I won a bet with him last year that the Hawkeyes would end the season ranked in the top 20. I pwned him then and I will pwn him again.... What do you all think? I say it's free money and I might as well take it.

I've been saying it since the Penn St. game his Sophomore year. No doubt about it. I had a guy named Roljor calling me out at every chance on the message board.

Way too early to tell. He's got the tools, size, and the presence, but the decision making is not quite there yet. Thankfully, the decision making is something that can be fixed over time, and hopefully there is a big step up in that department this season.

I think he will be drafted no matter what happens this year based on his size, mechanics and ability to move around pocket... he has a lot in common with Tom Brady in those regards

No I am not saying he is as good as tom brady, will be as good as Tom Brady or even attempting to compare his decision making or total ability to Tom Brady I am just saying some of the above are similar

He's rated as the #8 QB prospect for the '11 class. Usually the NFL drafts 10-14 QBs so baring injury or a horrible season I think you made a pretty good bet. I doubt he amounts to anything in the NFL as his arm strength isn't that great, his accuracy is questionable and he's not the most mobile QB but regardless he should still be a 6th or 7th round selection.

If he can quit throwing the stupid interceptions he'd be pretty damn good right now.

Obviously there will be some interceptions, just somehow stop the horrible ones where everyone see's it coming before he even throws the ball. After watching some of last years games I saw a few of those that I'd forgotten about.

For every bonehead throw where he looked like a 7th grader throwing the ball for the first time he had several very nice passes. Some of those were just amazing.

I think it's gonna be a huge year for him.

He's rated as the #8 QB prospect for the '11 class. Usually the NFL drafts 10-14 QBs so baring injury or a horrible season I think you made a pretty good bet. I doubt he amounts to anything in the NFL as his arm strength isn't that great, his accuracy is questionable and he's not the most mobile QB but regardless he should still be a 6th or 7th round selection.

He's got more than enough mobility to be successful in the NFL. Peyton Manning is no star trackster, but he's among the best at moving in the pocket to buy time. Stanzi's got a little more athleticism than that, but he's also very good at moving in the pocket.

The accuracy I think gets blurred with the decision-making. A good portion of the INT's/incompletions he throws aren't the result of poor accuracy so much as poor decision-making. He forces throws too often, which leads to INT's/incompletions. But he's shown on several occassions that the accuracy IS there (see Wisconsin, Michigan, and Georgia Tech games, for starters).

I will concede to you on the arm strength. It's serviceable, but hardly elite. He may get a bit of a break in that department because of the touch he's able to put on his deep balls, though not a big one.

Mark my words....a certain Ohio State QB will be drafted higher than Stanzi will, due to the hype and where he went to school. Which suxx, because Stanzi's twice the QB Pryor is.

Mark my words....a certain Ohio State QB will be drafted higher than Stanzi will, due to the hype and where he went to school. Which suxx, because Stanzi's twice the QB Pryor is.

Hmm...twice the QB? I love Ricky, but I don't know about that...

I've been saying it since the Penn St. game his Sophomore year. No doubt about it. I had a guy named Roljor calling me out at every chance on the message board.

I agree. That is when I first said it too. Have stuck to my guns ever since. I have had so many people, as recently as today, tell me I am an idiot. :cool:

I agree. That is when I first said it too. Have stuck to my guns ever since. I have had so many people, as recently as today, tell me I am an idiot. :cool:

I wasn't saying he'd be drafted this early, but I was sold on Stanzi as our QB after the Northwestern game of his sophomore year. He wasn't able to finish it, but I was damn impressed with his ability to get us down the field quickly with the game on the line, all without Shonn Greene in the lineup. That was his first try at a game winning drive, and it's the only one that he failed in completing.

Given the fact that so many QB's do not play from under center anymore and Stanzi has the ability to play from both under center and shot gun should make him more attractive to NFL scouts. He is a bit of a loose cannon at times, but as a scout you would have to look at how he plays under pressure when the game is on the line. Again as said before baring injury or a poor season, i would say that you are making easy money.

I have said for quite some time that Stanzi will not be drafted.

He simply does not excell at any area of quarterbacking. His is good at most, bad at some, but not exceptional in any.

Pass accuracy is the most important aspect of professional quarterbacking, and Rick does not have it. A professional QB has to pass it to his receiver without looking at him, and Rick has huge trouble doing that.

College DBs have been eating Stanzi alive, and professional DBs will have a field day with him.

Any response directed towards my argument and not my intelligence is greatly appriciated:)

Latest posts