Stanley's "mobility"...

HawkeyeWalker

Might get skewered for this but stick with me.

Now, NS isn't shifty or quick, and he's certainly not going to scramble around all nimbly bimbly....

But. And I know this seems weird. But the bigger issue...imo...is him not deciding to take off and get 4-7 yards when there. In a straight line....and maybe I'm way off base here, the guy isn't crazy slow...at least not for a 6'4, 245 pound dude.

Not saying I want him running a RPO, but an arm tackle isn't gonna bring him down. On a few times he's taken off decisively, he gets quite a few yards. He simply waits too long to do it. It happened 2-3 times last week that he easily could have kept drives going.

A few running pump fakes, pick up 5, slide.

He ain't gonna bust a long run, he doesn't need to. Move...the...sticks.

Sometimes, his "statue" nature is more indecision than lack of athleticism.

Big Ben does it, hell, even Brady does it, and I believe NS is faster than both.

The guy could fall forward and pick up 2-3 yards.

Again, just not sure he can develop the knack if he hasn't at this point.

The bigger problem is ball-handling skills and not putting it on the ground in inopportune moments. How many points has Iowa given up this year from fumbles by Stanley?

And that god-awful lateral pass play instead of seeing open receivers downfield. That needs to be taken out of the playbook.

Might get skewered for this but stick with me.

Now, NS isn't shifty or quick, and he's certainly not going to scramble around all nimbly bimbly....

But. And I know this seems weird. But the bigger issue...imo...is him not deciding to take off and get 4-7 yards when there. In a straight line....and maybe I'm way off base here, the guy isn't crazy slow...at least not for a 6'4, 245 pound dude.

Not saying I want him running a RPO, but an arm tackle isn't gonna bring him down. On a few times he's taken off decisively, he gets quite a few yards. He simply waits too long to do it. It happened 2-3 times last week that he easily could have kept drives going.

A few running pump fakes, pick up 5, slide.

He ain't gonna bust a long run, he doesn't need to. Move...the...sticks.

Big Ben does it, hell, even Brady does it, and I believe NS is faster than both.

The guy could fall forward and pick up 2-3 yards.

Again, just not sure he can develop the knack if he hasn't at this point.

Welcome to my stream of consciousness ... ;)
https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/iowalaws-3rd-quarter-report-card.84918/#post-1768368

In fact ... Sitting in the stands last Saturday, the only thing I applauded was Nate's noticeable decisiveness in taking off. He did it like 3 or 4 times in the first half, alone. He came up short of the sticks but I was still applauding the fact that he FINALLY tried to make something positive, rather than continuing to hold on and string it out. Now, he also reverted back to being a statue plenty of times, too, but, I guess Rome wasn't built in a day.

Let's see, took him 23 games to figure this out ... I can see him being a consistent positive contributor by next Thanksgiving.o_O;)

I'd like to see him get over his indecisiveness throwing the ball before tackling the running issues...

Too many times he picks a target and then gives the ball an extra squeeze or two before throwing. Just let it rip already!

Latest posts