Stanley- WOW

LicThawk

I've never had an issue with Stanley and thought he had good pocket presence and accuracy for a young new starter. I just watched the "game in 40 minutes" video and he was the X factor in this game. Throw after throw short middle and long range with accuracy. He stood in the pocket as guys worked around him in close quarters. I think I'm excited for the first time in 5 years that our QB will get better as he gets older.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, this game wasn't a fluke. By fluke, I mean Kirk deciding that enough is enough and takes back command of the offense. KOK and BF appear to know what it takes to win with the talent they have and come up with a DIFFERENT game plan every game to keep opponents on their heals.

We will find out in 6 days. Let's not get too excited (like ISU) after one big win thinking we are going to the playoffs. Just can't say enough about how well Stanley played and managed the offense, even calling audibles that didn't result in a zone run read to the weak side of the field.

He's one of the best I've seen at Iowa in a long time avoiding the sack and if he can continue to stop over throwing his receivers he could be something special. It's like he put everything together in this game against Ohio State.

I'm still numb.

As far as first year starters go...he's approaching Brad Banks territory. He doesn't have a veteran team around him like Banks did either. You would be remiss in not mentioning the first year Drew Tate had also...as he was the offense and he had absolutely no running game that year. He was crazy good.

Stanley has shown incredible growth throughout the year...and he's throwing the ball with some touch too. You also have to realize, guys weren't making plays for him the past three week...drops...etc. Today...guys made the plays and he put the ball on them. Two plays stood out...the throw on the check down to Wadley...and the play to Hockenson for the touchdown with the guy around his ankle. He's missed so many check down opportunities this year with pressure and to see him finally recognize it and get the ball out at the last second was beautiful...and a big play. Then, the TJ play, to have that composure under pressure...realize he could still get it off, and to throw a frozen rope for a TD...simply incredible.

I said after the Iowa State game he had the skills to go down as one of the best Iowa QBs ever. He's also the best pro prospect ever at QB. When Stanley decides where it's going, the ball is out so fast and it's out with a flame on the end of the ball. The throw to TJ, and there was another throw to I think Vandenburg on a deep crossing pattern that were incredible throws...frozen ropes on target. That's NFL stuff.

Saw more "touch" in his passes this game than any previous......the right velocity & trajectory for the right situation. Never questioned his arm strength but not every pass needs to show a vapor trail even though he possesses that cabability.

Impressive display yesterday.

There were still a couple "off" throws yesterday, but none of them hurt us. Basically, he threw 31 times, and not one could be deemed "inadvisable". And that throw with the guy latched onto his foot was a microcosm of the kind of day the whole team had.

As far as first year starters go...he's approaching Brad Banks territory. He doesn't have a veteran team around him like Banks did either. You would be remiss in not mentioning the first year Drew Tate had also...as he was the offense and he had absolutely no running game that year. He was crazy good.

Stanley has shown incredible growth throughout the year...and he's throwing the ball with some touch too. You also have to realize, guys weren't making plays for him the past three week...drops...etc. Today...guys made the plays and he put the ball on them. Two plays stood out...the throw on the check down to Wadley...and the play to Hockenson for the touchdown with the guy around his ankle. He's missed so many check down opportunities this year with pressure and to see him finally recognize it and get the ball out at the last second was beautiful...and a big play. Then, the TJ play, to have that composure under pressure...realize he could still get it off, and to throw a frozen rope for a TD...simply incredible.

I said after the Iowa State game he had the skills to go down as one of the best Iowa QBs ever. He's also the best pro prospect ever at QB. When Stanley decides where it's going, the ball is out so fast and it's out with a flame on the end of the ball. The throw to TJ, and there was another throw to I think Vandenburg on a deep crossing pattern that were incredible throws...frozen ropes on target. That's NFL stuff.
I thought the same and couldn't agree more. He was waiting till the very last second hoping something would come open in the endzone down field on that check down. He's so big and strong that he knows both on that play and the one where he had a defender hanging on his leg that he can still make those plays. That throw to Wadley wasn't some quick little 5 yard flip. He had to totally turn his hips that direction after facing strait ahead and fire it 25ish yards to him and hit him between the 2 and the 5 with mustard on it. Just knowing he'd be there. He didn't have time to look for him. And of course that one to TJ. The kid will be drafted higher then CJ was. I just hope it's after his senior year and not after next for selfish reasons.

There were still a couple "off" throws yesterday, but none of them hurt us. Basically, he threw 31 times, and not one could be deemed "inadvisable". And that throw with the guy latched onto his foot was a microcosm of the kind of day the whole team had.

I don't think it can be overstated what kind of a badass throw that was. He didn't just have a guy on his leg. He stopped, planted his feet, and fired a laser with a dude flying at him. Balls like boulders.

Latest posts