Stages of Grief: Where Are You At?

6. Lack of tolerance for certain types of people

;)

Nah. That's not a stage of grief. That's just a form of discrimination...as in not respecting and finding objectionable those views that are different than your own.

I was going to say that stage 6 was/is Apathy. This equates to "meh?" or "who cares anymore" or "it's so Effing cold right now, I just want this to be merciful and get over with". I was there shortly before first quarter ended.

Oh, I just figured that a post like that would cause those with guilty conscience's to come out on their own. I didn't have anyone in particular in mind actually

Well I don't have much of a guilty conscience.

Which I'm sure comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody.

:)

Anger still. I've chosen that for the rest of the year. I wont wear any hawkeye gear (outside of game day for BBall games) for the rest of the year. If we are in a Janurary 1 game, I'll decide at that time.

Someone begs to differ with that assessment.

HerbieHusker1974.gif

Ohio State and Nebraska built their reputations 40 years ago and they both have a national championship tradition. You really think Iowa is going to recruit anywhere near the talent that either of those teams?

We are a small flyover state that gets to contend...

Someone begs to differ with that assessment.

HerbieHusker1974.gif

A program built in the days of no scholarship limits. Not to mention their success was built with a lot of help from partial qualifiers. That stuff doesn't fly anymore, which is a BIG reason why Nebraska was one of the few "bluebloods" to take a BIG tumble after the '90s.

I've accepted the fact that Iowa is a second tier college team after this season with this coaching staff. We will go to a BCS game every 7th or 8 year but most years we will be an Outback or less type team, even though we all know we should be going to a better bowl.

After more than 50 years of hoping for an Iowa program on equal status with other top programs, this staff has finally broken me and made me a realist. I no longer believe this staff can take Iowa to that level but getting rid of them might bring another Lickliter as a coach.

Thus, I am going into future years hoping that Iowa will win seven games, knowing that this coaching staff will lose at least two to three due to their coaching style (games which we all know we should have won after the loss).

I will watch Iowa continually go to lesser bowls while Wisconsin, Ohio St, probably Michigan and Nebraska, all go to better bowls because they will win games they should be winning. Those teams will be going to the Rose Bowl and BCS games fairly consistently whereas Iowa's coaching staff will be happy with seven and eight wins and selling a program with no sizzle and losing top rated recruits. And even with outstanding players, I realize this coaching staff will underutilize those players to maintain their philosophy of predictable football, even though using those players skills to the utmost could win more games. That just is not going to be...

This staff just is not going to exploit another team's weakness, either offensively or defensively...apparently that is not fair. I have accepted that, even though it makes me scratch my head in wonderment.

I'm in stages 4 and 5.

Depression because I bought into what most of the experts were saying about the Hawks before the season began, even though I tried to remain cautious going into the season, only to see a November implosion that is so uncharacteristic of the program under Kirk Ferentz.

Acceptance because it is what it is. Iowa is a 7-5 team.

When the depression wears off, I will be in full acceptance mode.

As for the future I'm not sure what will play out. Can Iowa win a NC someday? It's possible. Will they? I have no clue. I guess the big question is if Iowa does win a national title how many of us will live to see it.

Also, with the expansion of the Big Ten, winning a conference title will become harder (12 teams instead of 11 competing for the title). If the Big Ten expands to 14 or 16 teams then that will make it even more difficult. It may come to a point where winnning a BTT will be almost as difficult as being invited to a NC game.

Last edited:
I thought I went through all the steps after the Arizona game, but it turns out, I did not. Here is how it unfolded for me after each game.

Arizona: Denial
Wisconsin: Anger
Northwestern: Much more anger
Ohio State: Depression
Minnesota: Acceptance

I guess I must have skipped the bargaining stage, or it else was very brief and I don't remember it... I guess maybe it happened during the Ohio State game.

Latest posts