Spurrier : Oversigning 'helpful' ...

I think it's better for everyone involved if all schools play by the same rules regarding this.

The problem is that the SEC uses 'initiative' this as a farm system and a method to 'cut' underperformers ... no wonder they are in the national championship game every year.

It is just flat out wrong and sends the wrong message. I do not blame the coaches as the rules allow it ... but in this case the rules are wrong.

Only a jerk like Spurrier (or another SEC coach) could rationalize like this. It's pretty basic ethics.

If you ask someone to sign a binding commitment, than you should be bound to deliver as well. This is screwing around with the future of young men.

The solution is simple. If a kid signs a LOI and wants to back out, he can't unless he's released by the University.

So on the flip side, if the University extends a written offer of scholarship, they have to deliver as well...or they lose that scholarship for the year. The only way they can offer it to another player, is if the initial offeree lands elsewhere and releases his claim to the scholarship, OR if he is unable to qualify for admission.

But you can only offer, the number you have available. Period. It's easy to track and easy to enforce thru the LOI.

Only a jerk like Spurrier (or another SEC coach) could rationalize like this. It's pretty basic ethics.

If you ask someone to sign a binding commitment, than you should be bound to deliver as well. This is screwing around with the future of young men.

The solution is simple. If a kid signs a LOI and wants to back out, he can't unless he's released by the University.

So on the flip side, if the University extends a written offer of scholarship, they have to deliver as well...or they lose that scholarship for the year. The only way they can offer it to another player, is if the initial offeree lands elsewhere and releases his claim to the scholarship, OR if he is unable to qualify for admission.

But you can only offer, the number you have available. Period. It's easy to track and easy to enforce thru the LOI.

I don't think Spurrier is a jerk. I actually have a tad bit of respect for him even if he does coach in the SEC. But you are completely right that the school needs to be held accountable for promising a scholarship and then withdrawing it. That isn't right. In this situation the university has too much power and the recruit is being forced to play by their rules.

Iowa gets on average 6 less players every year than Auburn. How sad is that! I would say that Iowa State probably needs to sign that many every year due to transfers and I think they sign a few JUCO's every year.

But the SEC is stupid, it is no wonder they have an advantage every year.

I don't want to give the impression that I agree with this practice at all,but why is this any different than many things that go on in our society today?
If people can manipulate an advantage for themselves no matter how trivial it may be they will do it.Humans are cheating ,thieving *******s if they think they can get away with it.

What's amazing is that Spurrier acts like the BT just doesn't know that it is "helpful". He never even considers that it is in no way "helpful" to the students (aka players).

Latest posts