Spring Two Deep Roster & Thoughts

Wegher was solid but I wouldn't say he was fantastic. I think DJK and Davis give us the best chance of breaking a big return. I do like Sandeman as punt returner though, he seemed to be the only guy who wasn't afraid to catch the ball sometimes. Some of the other punt returners had a tendency to let the ball bounce, and lose valuable yards in the process.

Give me one example from 2009 that suggests that Davis should be returning KO's over Wegher. Maybe KD is proving himself in practice, but I haven't heard that anywhere up to now, have you? So, going by real game productivity, Wegher is light years ahead of KD. Wegher averaged 24 yrds per KO return and KD averaged 11. If I am missing something here, let me know. I would love to see Keenan become the next Tim Dwight-like KO returner. But even TD only averaged 20.6 yds per KO return for his college career. In his true freshman year, BW eclipsed that by over 3 yds per return. Not fantastic?

Yeah, I was surprised at the success tOSU's OL had against our DL. Clayborn may have had a good game ... however, it's never good when the opposing team is able to gain that many rushing yards on ya. Things won't get easier for us in 2010 against them either because Pryor will be a better passer by them and Posey and Sanzenbacher will be pretty veteran by then too. Stoneburner will have a good chance to break out this season too ... a big, tall target with elite speed for his size.

Anyhow, as for who will be vying for the MIKE spot ... I anticipate that Tarp and Johnson bring more to the table with regard to their coverage skills. However, I'll be interested to see what sort of progress Davis can make. He'll definitely see some quality positional reps this season. With Ferentz stating that he is anticipating that some TR FR will forego redshirting in order to gain experience ... by bets are that Morris and Poggi get the nod. To that end, I suspect that Morris will be backing up Hunter and Poggi will be backing up Nielsen. That way those guys will be able to see action in clean-up duty during the season. I think that it's a gimme that they'll see positional reps against EIU and Ball State ... and I'll be curious to see if we can enjoy a decent margin of victory against another team or two too. Considering that Minnesota, ISU, and Indiana are each getting pretty gutted on the defensive side of the ball ... they might end up bring prime candidates. It would be great if we could end up having 4 or 5 wins by comfortable margins ... the young guys could definitely use the reps.

And, speaking of guys needing reps ... I think that we're going to need young guys on the DL see early reps too. While I think that a 2011 DL manned by Binns, Daniel, Bigach, and Daniels has plenty of potential ... I'll be happier if Alvis and/or Donavan Johnson and/or Carl Davis can make an early splash in 2010 too.

Binns was a first year starter and is still developing physically. At the end position this has resulted in him being better when he can pin it back and rush the passer, but he can get knocked off the ball on runs. This happened on the two OSU drives and also happened on the scoring drive in the Orange Bowl. He will improve as he gets more experienced and gets stronger.

Tarp seems to be the odd man out. Almost wish he could get hurt and get a sixth year. He is not suited for the LEO. Mike looks to be between Johnson and BRRRUUUUCE. Will is Hunter. However, I could see him coming in next year and stepping into the Will spot. As it is, looks like an injury will have to occur to get him in the starting line-up.

Latest posts