Spring practice in WDM, this Saturday at Valley

A few questions for those paying better attention than me, right now.

1) What time does it start?

2) Bring a canned good for admission?

3) What's Date and Time of scrimmage at Kinnick, in 2 weeks?

Sunshine tossing 60 yard bombs

Just an fyi on the plans for Saturday at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. They run alot of drills by position during the first 45 minutes of the practice. That can be a little boring...but after the drills they run some 7 v 7 offense v Defense plays. Then move into more of a scrimmage. so, the second half of the event is the most fun and we will see more of the QB's throwing the ball down the field. Admission is free! Parking is not a problem. Starts at 12:30. Bring the kids about 11:30 to see the players and coaches get off the busses. Pretty cool for the younger kids!

I went.

I had kids wit me so I was somewhat preoccupied and only stayed an hour. But suffice it to say arm strength at the QB position is no longer an issue, tevaun smith looks like a real wide receiver, koehn has a huge leg and a cuople of the db's laid some wood.

Again to reietrate the main point: arm strength at QB is not an issue. At all.

on twitter...... there were more points scored under the bleachers today than by the iowa offense

I went and CJ looked good arm strength and accuracy but that is all you could tell with red jerseys on. Weigers has work to do on footwork, receiving the snap, but he has a strong arm and pretty accurate.

Ike Boettger got beat some by Myers/Meirs. Leshun Daniels looks faster, wadley ran well but had a fumble, Derrick Mitchell IIRC looked very good at RB. I didnt watch Boone Myer as much at left tackle but that means maybe he didnt blow a lot of blocks.

I am not sure much could be garnered at this practice about the defense.

I am optimistic that if CJ will do well and if he has a running game the offense will be OK.

I agree that the receivers arent getting a lot of separation but there was one other young receiver that looked to have good speed.

Wow. We used to get reports around here from people who went....

Hard to read too much into spring ball but here's my observations

1) QBs both looked good in drill and the ball has some zip on it. During live play accuracy dropped off as the oline did not give them much time

2) RBs all did some good things but not a lot of holes to go through. Daniels showed nice leg drive. Canzeri just needs to stay healthy. D Mitchell could be the 3rd down back and push for more time.

3) LBs did a good job in space and we appear quicker but still question whether we are big enough to stop a power running team

4) Special teams still very sloppy aside from Koehn doing his thing at placekicker

i went - great day - beautiful weather - Eddy P. walked by me - glad he is walking - but he looks a bit 'ginger'

Weigers has a nice ball, but he'll have to get the footwork under center down - several times he either fumbled or got stepped on by the center and went down.

I did get handed me a door prize in a white envelope - when getting a poster for my youngest son - #59 of 126 - Nice postcard of nile kinnick statue - inside says call athletic department to learn how to claim your prize - anyone else get one of these?

-------Smith is the only wr who can consistently create separation.

Hope he wasn't too flashy for KF....we don't want him getting demoted to "Punt catcher" for doing anything not considered Canton Bulldog like. :)

I went.

CJB is the clear starter and there will be no debate about it this year.

The offensive line really struggled opening holes up for the running backs and did not give CJB OR Wiegers a lot of time to throw.

I thought the defense looked good overall and the defensive players on thr sidelines were really getting into it and cheering on their fellow defensive men.

Wiegers looked good in drills and when there wasn't a pass rush. But when they were scrimmaging, he really struggled. He had happy feet, was not accurate, and constantly threw to his underneath receivers.

I'm not sure if the defensive line was that good today or if the offensive line just need more time to gel. If they continue to gel and improve, I think this team will really surpise all of us fans. It just disappoints me because last year was a waste because I think we could've had a pretty good offense if Ferentz would've correctly used the weapons he had.

Sounds to me that the biggest concern will be Oline... CJB won't be able to do squat if he has no running game or time to throw... Replacing those two tackles and Welsh now (till he's back I won't assume he's coming back. The last time a kid left for personal reasons was Wegher wasn't it?) won't be easy.