Spring Game Notes - Skill Positions

wasn't Vandeburg the guy who could catch anything thrown at him when played as a true freshman? what happened to that guy?

Nice write up, thanks for putting this together. I, like most fans, have some concerns this year, but hopefully this group of guys can prove us wrong.

Thanks HGF. Good Stuff as always.

I echo homes, Off Tackle and WR developments (or lack there of) is absolutely key. Even I have lost some faith, and this forum certainly doesn't help. If we can get better than expected production from OT and WR, we may actually surprise some folks....if not....6-7 wins....again.

Go Hawks.

Wide Receivers and Offensive Tackles. These positions will be the key to success or failure this Fall. A lot of ground can be made up in these next 4 months, and it will all be necessary to get there. The rest of the offense has sufficient enough talent to be successful. I wax and wane between being excited and depressed.

This sums up my feelings exactly.

If I start feeling to optimistic or excited about the upcoming season, I just make a quick stop at HF forums, to be told the "truth"....you know....where us knowledgeable folks keep it really real. :cool:

Wrote up some thoughts from watching the spring scrimmage.

http://hawkeyenation.com/football/hawkeye-spring-scout-skill-positions

I was very impressed with Derrick Mitchell. He did look like a natural and he did run with power and lateral agility. He seemed almost as good as Wadley in setting up and cutting of his blocks. Do you think he has a shot to possibly take over mid-way through the season? He looks like a combination of JC, LD and AW, the total package. I did not get a gauge on his speed, however.

I was very impressed with Derrick Mitchell. He did look like a natural and he did run with power and lateral agility. He seemed almost as good as Wadley in setting up and cutting of his blocks. Do you think he has a shot to possibly take over mid-way through the season? He looks like a combination of JC, LD and AW, the total package. I did not get a gauge on his speed, however.

Based on what Ferentz's comments were, Mitchell should get opportunities to get some touches early this fall. As far as earning a bigger role, it'll likely be determined by what he does with those touches, how the other RBs perform and how the injury situation plays out. Agree with you on DM bringing the full RB skill-set; he's got a good blend of size and quickness. As far as pure speed, I didn't see a burner, probably a 4.5-4.6 40 guy but he's shows solid intial burst to get through the hole. Think he'll earn more time as long as he's able to stay healthy.

Based on what Ferentz's comments were, Mitchell should get opportunities to get some touches early this fall. As far as earning a bigger role, it'll likely be determined by what he does with those touches, how the other RBs perform and how the injury situation plays out. Agree with you on DM bringing the full RB skill-set; he's got a good blend of size and quickness. As far as pure speed, I didn't see a burner, probably a 4.5-4.6 40 guy but he's shows solid intial burst to get through the hole. Think he'll earn more time as long as he's able to stay healthy.

Excellent point. DM was very quick to the LOS (so was AW). If the OL can become at least an average OL under kf, then our offense could become relatively good. I think we need Jay Scheel to emerge, and if he does and CJ has 2 guys that can separate deep, then our running game can flourish and if our rb's get to the holes when they're there and turn 3 yards into 5, then the pass game can flourish. It's all connected by the OL.

Mitchell sounds like Weisman in 2012, before Weisman got hurt too many times. Of course sounds like Mitchell can catch the ball, so maybe he is kinda like Bullock.

Mitchell sounds like Weisman in 2012, before Weisman got hurt too many times. Of course sounds like Mitchell can catch the ball, so maybe he is kinda like Bullock.

guffus, I don't think DM is anything like MW. DM has abilities that you would associate with a true tailback and not a fullback playing tailback. DM has the potential to be "that" guy we haven't had the past 3 seasons. DM also looks better, in my opinion, than Bullock.

I did not watch the scrimmage but the hoipolloi and the paid-guys seem to have come away with staggeringly different viewpoints. The former seem certain that Iowa will begin with a whimper and continue to burn till the kirk is fired at season end. The journos if I'm not mistaken see a solid team with gaps.

So my takeaway is that all the 600 fans who absolutely detest Iowa football actually went to the spring game and saw what they wanted.

Nice write-up, Gamefilm, as always.

Latest posts