Sports Illustrated Talking Garza

That's some blunt selfawareness you don't hear very often... I still think he'll go pro next yr one way or the other...

With Cook it was obvious that he would trade 50 grand a year over going back to college in a heartbeat. Garza doesn't give off that vibe. I think it's either college or NBA for him.

With Cook it was obvious that he would trade 50 grand a year over going back to college in a heartbeat. Garza doesn't give off that vibe. I think it's either college or NBA for him.
Maybe. I'd love to have him back that's for sure.

Rarely, if ever, do players in any sport back up an MVP level season with another one. It’s just too hard to maintain, and teams adapt. And the rare players who can get it done are so talented that they don’t stick around. Regression—even if it’s slight—is the norm by far.

Even if he comes back and averages say 20 pts it would be a ridiculously good year, but still falling short of this season. Garza’s cognizant of that for sure.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But Garza may be that rare exception. So much about his improvement, his game, his work ethic seems to fall more in the rare category.

It’s late January. Most people outside of the Big 10 had never heard of Garza. Now he’s a front runner for National POY. I still struggle to process the fact a Hawk is this good and being recognized as being this good. If I’m dreaming please don’t wake me up. Loving this season and this elite 8 man rotation. Elite 8? Don’t wake me.

How bad do Luka (and father) "need" the cash?

His dad is at every game, and on the road, it seems. That takes some time and cash. Perhaps money isn't a dire need for them.

I would guess Luka will do what his Dad says. I do not mean that as an insult to
Luka. I just sense that they have a very special relationship. His Dad has a pretty solid track record of giving his son good advice.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But Garza may be that rare exception. So much about his improvement, his game, his work ethic seems to fall more in the rare category.

It’s late January. Most people outside of the Big 10 had never heard of Garza. Now he’s a front runner for National POY. I still struggle to process the fact a Hawk is this good and being recognized as being this good. If I’m dreaming please don’t wake me up. Loving this season and this elite 8 man rotation. Elite 8? Don’t wake me.
Don't get me wrong, I love watching Garza and I'm ridiculously happy for him as well as the team.

But...

You have to keep in mind that every fan base that has a bust out player thinks their guy is the rare exception. It just doesn't happen that guys come back and repeat those seasons. And that applies to football as well, it isn't just a basketball phenomenon.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching Garza and I'm ridiculously happy for him as well as the team.

But...

You have to keep in mind that every fan base that has a bust out player thinks their guy is the rare exception. It just doesn't happen that guys come back and repeat those seasons. And that applies to football as well, it isn't just a basketball phenomenon.
Yeah it almost surprised me how many folks sincerely thought AJE was coming back. I mean as much as we all would have loved that it wasn't ever happening... Of course right now in the middle of the year Garza isn't going to be speaking about it or thinking too hard about it. But once it's all said and done and the $ that'll be available becomes more real I don't see hardly anyone turning that down. Who knows maybe he'll surprise me. But coming back for his senior year if he's healthy and all good to go after the year he's had would sincerely surprise me more then if he left be it NBA, over seas G league whatever.

But...

I know you’re probably right. I hope you’re wrong. It certainly doesn’t look like the reigning Big 10 player of the year is going to repeat this year.

But he’s almost certainly going to be 1st team again. If Garza returns and plays at a 1st team all conference level we should be in great shape with the other talent on the roster.

Latest posts