Sports Illustrated- Insight.com Bowl prediction

With all the crap that got thrown Iowa's way the last few weeks we are still getting a ton of respect. I mean, we're facing a top 15 team with a 10-2 record and Vegas is only favoring them by a point or two. And now some reputable publications and sports sites are picking Iowa to win in their predictions.

This is a terrible match up for the hawks. I hope it all goes well, but we need to win to turn over race. I wouldn't be shocked if Mizz wins by two scores.

Ha, apparently he forgot about the team absolutely quitting across the board, all the off season crap + their lack of will to do anything above scoring 17 points leads to a blow out win for missouri.

I think if we can get the D clicking, we will be ok. I don't think Missu has played a D like ours, hopefully with a few sacks comes a few turn overs and that right there could set us up to win it. I know almost every fan thinks there D is good, But I think there are only a handful of teams whos D can play like ours, if they dont "show up" it will be a long game for Iowa.

This team checked out back in October. Not sure how they get anything going now. Hope they do though. We'll see.

I sat in Vegas and watched ISU hold its own against Mizzou...why everyone is craping themselves is beyond me. Mizzou Wins by two scores lol?!?! Oh how the fans lose faith. HAWKS by two TD's.

This team quit. They'll come out and play with fire like they did against Texas a few years ago, but the same old crap will creep up in the end

--Untimely penalties
--offense shuts down for whatever reason (could be the penalties)
--Defense gets tired and can't hold onto lead or keep game close in end

I think Mizzou dinks and dunks (which is what Gabbert is good at) their way to a victory. Us fans will come out and say the fire is back because of a inspired performance by a few players, and that KF has righted the ship again.....aka the old Moral Victory.

Sorry but we've seen this story before. We also lost a Senior QB that year, and we all thought JC was going to lead us to the promised land.....instead we had two of the worst offensive years I can remember. And now we're saying the same thing about JVB. Yet in the three games he played, Iowa didn't do too much (though he did play his heart out against OSU), and MN and NW blitzed the crap out of him and we couldn't do anything.

Guess i just want this year to be over with and cross fingers that he and the rest of the team can move on next year

I sat in Vegas and watched ISU hold its own against Mizzou...why everyone is craping themselves is beyond me. Mizzou Wins by two scores lol?!?! Oh how the fans lose faith. HAWKS by two TD's.

By in large ISU improved as the year progressed, especially on defense. Iowa on the other hand played its best ball early, has no RBs with any proven production, and lost its biggest deep threat at WR. I don't think Iowa can score 2 TDs in this game, much less win by that amount. I don't see where the points will come from. And with the bad special teams play, Iowa will not be able to help themselves much in a catergory that they have excelled at in recent years.

The only thing that balances this game is the fact that Iowa is a notoriously good bowl team. Mizzou had a bad run last year, but they usually play up for their bowls. If Gabbert plays well, this will end badly for the Hawks.

By in large ISU improved as the year progressed, especially on defense. Iowa on the other hand played its best ball early, has no RBs with any proven production, and lost its biggest deep threat at WR. I don't think Iowa can score 2 TDs in this game, much less win by that amount. I don't see where the points will come from. And with the bad special teams play, Iowa will not be able to help themselves much in a catergory that they have excelled at in recent years.

The only thing that balances this game is the fact that Iowa is a notoriously good bowl team. Mizzou had a bad run last year, but they usually play up for their bowls. If Gabbert plays well, this will end badly for the Hawks.

I'm not going to say Iowa will win and by 2 TD's at that, but you couldn't be more wrong with this post. Coker will be just fine and has proved he is capable of producing. Sure losing DJK will hurt, but he only touched the ball at most 6 times a game this year and Sandeman or Davis can both stretch the field as well so if Missouri plays up on those 2 they are capable of beating the corner or safety deep.

Have we ever thrown a pass further than 10 yards to Sandeman? Seems like he's always been a crossing, or hook pattern guy.

I would be surprised if the Hawks don't score two tds. Where will the offense come from? Well, I would assume Stanzi, Coker, and McNutt. DJK's playmaking will be lost, no doubt about it. I dont think Coker over Arob is a downgrade at all running the football. I would guess the extra month of bowl practice improved his pass blocking. I just find it amazing that everyone forgets that the Hawkeyes are the same football team that was capable of playing to the last play with both Ohio St and Wisconsin, and they beat MSU. They are a talented football team, and they can hang with Missouri. It should be an interesting game depending on what team shows up for Iowa.

I'm not going to say Iowa will win and by 2 TD's at that, but you couldn't be more wrong with this post. Coker will be just fine and has proved he is capable of producing. Sure losing DJK will hurt, but he only touched the ball at most 6 times a game this year and Sandeman or Davis can both stretch the field as well so if Missouri plays up on those 2 they are capable of beating the corner or safety deep.

Couldn't be more wrong, huh? Coker is not ARob. He had a great game against Ball State, in which I noticed more flaws than talents. He also looked good in a reserve role, but he is carrying the load tomorrow. He will have a much harder time moving the ball against a team for 4 quarters. To think otherwise is silly.

As for Sandeman stepping in and taking over for DJK, I will believe it when I see it. He stepped in last year in the Orange Bowl, had one good play(the immaculate fade) and then spent the rest of the time diving on crossing routes, dropping balls, and looking over his head. The defense won that game, and it will have to come up big for the Iowa team to win this one.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if the Hawks don't score two tds. Where will the offense come from? Well, I would assume Stanzi, Coker, and McNutt. DJK's playmaking will be lost, no doubt about it. I dont think Coker over Arob is a downgrade at all running the football. I would guess the extra month of bowl practice improved his pass blocking. I just find it amazing that everyone forgets that the Hawkeyes are the same football team that was capable of playing to the last play with both Ohio St and Wisconsin, and they beat MSU. They are a talented football team, and they can hang with Missouri. It should be an interesting game depending on what team shows up for Iowa.

Sorry. Getting good minutes out of Coker is one thing, having him carry the load is another. There are few freshman capable of being a work horse their first year. I would be surprised if Coker can remain productive into the second half. There is a reason you want more than one capable HB on your team and Iowa will probably find that out tomorrow.

Can Iowa win? Sure, Missouri can beat and lose to about anyone. are they going to do it scoring 45 points? I doubt that. They will win in a grind it out defensive struggle, but their D will have to make Gabbert sweat to do it. I expect KOK to go into the shell early in this one.

So lets be clear. You think that Coker has more flaws in his game than talents, and you think its silly to think he will be successful running the football only because he is a freshman? And a freshman coming in running the ball and being successful and carrying the load is something that doesnt happen? I thought Arob and Wegher did ok last year in that role. And, Coker is a more talented RB the Arob. Say what you like about how he performed early in the season. Keep in mind that Coker missed almost all of summer reps due to an injury, and he was behind two other rbs. I don't disagree about your sentiment about having more then one rb ready to go, but there really isnt anything that can be done about that at this point. I think the hawks will rely heavily on Coker and the Oline, and I think they will be successful doing it.

As for your comments on DJK, I agree that his talent will be missed, and Sandeman will not make up for that. I was hoping that Keenan Davis will get more reps and we may see a flash of the next two years to come. TBD.

I am just hopeful for one more game of the DL bringing the dominance and forcing Missouri to make a few early game mistakes. That said, this will be a very tough matchup for us.

This one will be much easier than many of the games we've played. Mizzu is the worst 10-2 team ever. We win this one by 10.

So lets be clear. You think that Coker has more flaws in his game than talents, and you think its silly to think he will be successful running the football only because he is a freshman? And a freshman coming in running the ball and being successful and carrying the load is something that doesnt happen? I thought Arob and Wegher did ok last year in that role. And, Coker is a more talented RB the Arob. Say what you like about how he performed early in the season. Keep in mind that Coker missed almost all of summer reps due to an injury, and he was behind two other rbs. I don't disagree about your sentiment about having more then one rb ready to go, but there really isnt anything that can be done about that at this point. I think the hawks will rely heavily on Coker and the Oline, and I think they will be successful doing it.

As for your comments on DJK, I agree that his talent will be missed, and Sandeman will not make up for that. I was hoping that Keenan Davis will get more reps and we may see a flash of the next two years to come. TBD.

I am just hopeful for one more game of the DL bringing the dominance and forcing Missouri to make a few early game mistakes. That said, this will be a very tough matchup for us.

this

Latest posts