Sportingnews top units in CFB

I'm dying to read about Iowa's 3rd ranked RB unit but after a search on the SportingNews site I still don't see the alleged article.

Anyone have a link?

It may not be online. I have a subscription to the magazine, which is where the article was.

As freshmen, both Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher both ran for over 600 yards. The 2009 expected starter, Jewell Hampton, also returns.

It was something like that.

It may not be online. I have a subscription to the magazine, which is where the article was.

As freshmen, both Adam Robinson and Brandon Wegher both ran for over 600 yards. The 2009 expected starter, Jewell Hampton, also returns.

As a fellow SN subscriber, I can say that's exactly what it said. Pretty cool to see the Hawks get some love.

As a fellow SN subscriber, I can say that's exactly what it said. Pretty cool to see the Hawks get some love.

I agree. It doesn't mean anything once the games begin, it's just fun to see your team get some love from the media. While getting downplayed may give the team a chip on their shoulder, it does get tiring as a fan to always see the team get put down.

I agree. It doesn't mean anything once the games begin, it's just fun to see your team get some love from the media. While getting downplayed may give the team a chip on their shoulder, it does get tiring as a fan to always see the team get put down.

We'll all be ******** next week when the media and coaches pick Iowa to finish 3rd or 4th.

We'll all be ******** next week when the media and coaches pick Iowa to finish 3rd or 4th.

3rd I would be okay (OSU, Iowa, and Wisky are all projected to be top 10 teams anyway). 4th, I'd really like to hear a good argument as to why Penn State or Michigan State would finish ahead of us. I WOULD get ****** about that.

i'm surprised by the DB and RB love, but of course not for the DL. we'll see. much potential, but really doesn't count for much.

i'm surprised by the DB and RB love, but of course not for the DL. we'll see. much potential, but really doesn't count for much.

Well they had Sash, Greenwood, and Prater all on the first-team All-Big Ten team in their CFB preview magazine, and Sash was an AA. That alone is probably enough to get them #1, but then they also figure that Bernstine/Hyde/Lowe have a ton of talent, so the unit has some serious depth as well.

It has been established that we have the 2nd best running back in the state.

We have 1 running back in the game at a time...and based on what we know right now that running back will be good...never great. Could one of those guys show himself to be great...sure...but you could probably say that about a lot of running backs.

Granted RB is a position where 2-3 guys see a fair amount of playing time and you typically stick with one QB...but we're not considering Iowa's QB to be better given that we have one of the better backups in the nation are we?

If Hambinsongher were one person we'd probably have the #3 running back core in the nation...unfortunately we only get to play one at a time.

I swear I have nothing against Vandenburg and I dont want to start this argument again, but this is crazy talk and makes me laugh scream and cry at the same time. He might end up being great and he showed some flashes against tOSU that he has a special ability to make plays with his arm but its almost impossible to claim that he is one of the best backups in the country given that he is 1-1 completed less than 50% of his passes and threw 2tds and 5ints not to mention the amount of highly recruited freshmen and sophmores we have yet to see play in places like TX, USC, FL OSU, to name a few. After watching tOSU game one could say he is a great backup qb, after watching the minnesota or northwestern game not so much, its way too early to make a claim like that IMO

Dang. Oh well, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll just pick it up tomorrow.

I swear I have nothing against Vandenburg and I dont want to start this argument again, but this is crazy talk and makes me laugh scream and cry at the same time. He might end up being great and he showed some flashes against tOSU that he has a special ability to make plays with his arm but its almost impossible to claim that he is one of the best backups in the country given that he is 1-1 completed less than 50% of his passes and threw 2tds and 5ints not to mention the amount of highly recruited freshmen and sophmores we have yet to see play in places like TX, USC, FL OSU, to name a few. After watching tOSU game one could say he is a great backup qb, after watching the minnesota or northwestern game not so much, its way too early to make a claim like that IMO

I won't argue with the fact that he looked pretty bad against NW and Minnesota...and I think his performance against OSU was a little overhyped. At the same time...you just pulled a couple of teams out of your *** and assumed they have good backups because they traditionally get highly rated recruits.

I feel pretty confident in our backup QB for next year...very confident in fact...I don't think very many fans at other schools around the country can say the same thing. I don't really think I'm going out on a limb to say that we have one of the better backups in the nation (a pretty soft statement at that).

Personally I'd be excited to see what our 3rd string QB has to offer but that probably won't happen...and considering our 4th string QB is a highly touted recruit...my original point remains that you wouldn't use your depth at QB to determine how good you are at the position...and while you can figure in depth moreso at the RB position than QB...you still can't use it to make the leap from unproven commodity to #3 in the flippen nation at the position.

Lastly...the argument you made against JVB is very similar to the argument that I'm making with regard to our running backs...could be great but at this point we have to consider them unproven commodities as go-to backs.

Well I dont know that I pulled them out of my ***, I just figured it made more sense to talk about 4 and 5 star guys when discussing the players we have never seen play and their potential. Cameron Newton at Florida, Aaron Corp and Mitch Mustain at USC to name some. I have stated before if Vandenburg was the starter I would still expect a 8-4 season so I have some confidence in him but just feel it would be a learning experience based on the sample i have seen. I am sure this will be laughed at by the Vandenburg army, but I still dont feel like its anywhere near a lock that Vandy is the starter in 2011. I agree with you on our rb's they still have a lot to prove before receiving this much praise, but given that more than 50% of nfl teams have gone to a committee I think it makes sense to rank based on quality of #1, depth and quality of depth.

Vandy got great experience learning how important it is to be able to correctly read blitzes and get the ball away. However, he hasn't shown he can. If he is able to figure this out in the film room and the practice field, he will be mire than one of the better backups and will be the starter. If he can't figure it out, he will be just a guy with a great arm. Pretty sure it won't be a problem.

Well I dont know that I pulled them out of my ***, I just figured it made more sense to talk about 4 and 5 star guys when discussing the players we have never seen play and their potential. Cameron Newton at Florida, Aaron Corp and Mitch Mustain at USC to name some. I have stated before if Vandenburg was the starter I would still expect a 8-4 season so I have some confidence in him but just feel it would be a learning experience based on the sample i have seen. I am sure this will be laughed at by the Vandenburg army, but I still dont feel like its anywhere near a lock that Vandy is the starter in 2011. I agree with you on our rb's they still have a lot to prove before receiving this much praise, but given that more than 50% of nfl teams have gone to a committee I think it makes sense to rank based on quality of #1, depth and quality of depth.

NFL teams have gone committee...but I'd still rank the Vikings running backs ahead of the Cowboys.

Adrian Petersen
Toby Gerhart

vs.

Felix Jones
Marion Barber III
Tashard Choice

Who would you take?

Clinton Portis
Larry Johnson
Willie Parker

vs.

Frank Gore
Glenn Coffee

NFL teams have gone committee...but I'd still rank the Vikings running backs ahead of the Cowboys.

Adrian Petersen
Toby Gerhart

vs.

Felix Jones
Marion Barber III
Tashard Choice

Who would you take?

Clinton Portis
Larry Johnson
Willie Parker

vs.

Frank Gore
Glenn Coffee

Well personally i like the versatility the cowboys trio offers and they have proven if one or even two go down they dont miss much, which happens a lot to rbs... can you say the same about minny? Plus lets not forget Adrian Peterson fumbled his life away in his biggest game to date. However my opinion would probably change if Gerhart turns into a great change of pace for ap but as of right now I see him as a downgrade from chester taylor

Last edited:

Adrian Petersen
Albert Young
Toby Gerhart

vs.

Felix Jones
Marion Barber III
Tashard Choice

Who would you take?

Clinton Portis
Larry Johnson
Willie Parker

vs.