Spievey having trouble adjusting

I commented on Spievey last year on how I didn't really see what all the hype was about, I think everyone went off on how crazy I was, which will likely happen again here. But in all honesty, why was he so deserving of being drafted on day one? Like I said last year, I guess there is something to be said about not throwing his way much, but he just never really stuck out to me as amazing tallent that was NFL ready. Maybe another year at the college level would have served him well.

That being said, I'm not sure I would be able to turn down going pro at 21 or whatever and I agree that you gotta take your chance while you got it.

If I know one thing about a Norm Parker product, its that he will be just fine on adapting to whatever is needed.

Sucks he didn't stay, but for a guy who really didn't amass any stats to go so early in the draft...the pros must have seen something in him.

Anyway, I think if he's healthy, he can be a great asset to whatever team picks him up. Besides, it's not like the Lions can really be that picky right now, can they?

As previously stated, after reading all three articles, this is a complete and utter non-story. The writer is attempting to stir up more controversy on a scouting vs. coaching department riff by linking Spievey with a rookie from last year that they disagree'd on.

And, according to the second piece, Charlie Sanders assumed that Amari thought that he was Barry Sanders when he joked with the HoF tight end by asking if he played RB. Like Spievey said in his quote, this was a complete joke and Barry Sanders is his favorite player of all-time. I can back this statement up having previously interviewed Spievey while in college. He had plenty to say and praise about ol' Barry.

Spievey will be more than fine, training camp injuries happen...end of story.

He shouldn't have left early.

Why? He was consistently running the forty in the 4.47 range. If your a DB for Norm Parker you have to be able to tackle and be good in run support or your not going to be on the field. So tackling wasn't an issue. Iowa wasn't going to change their scheme so Speivey could work on his man coverage skills.

He wasn't going to get better by coming back. He will be fine, despite playing for the lions.

Just saw that Spievey is moving to safety for the Lions and now has a chance to start for them.

Why? He was consistently running the forty in the 4.47 range. If your a DB for Norm Parker you have to be able to tackle and be good in run support or your not going to be on the field. So tackling wasn't an issue. Iowa wasn't going to change their scheme so Speivey could work on his man coverage skills.

He wasn't going to get better by coming back. He will be fine, despite playing for the lions.

I answered that already in another post. I think saying he wasn't going to get better by coming back is a pretty illogical statement.

Like I said, he needed the money so he needed to declare, i don't have a problem with it. I just think his game would have benefited from coming back. I also think he would most likely have been at least 2nd round material had he come back with a chance to go in the first with a solid senior campaign.

Not sure when it was last updated but he isnt on the depth chart on ESPN site and it goes 4 deep at both CB positions and 3 deep at each safety spot.

Not sure when it was last updated but he isnt on the depth chart on ESPN site and it goes 4 deep at both CB positions and 3 deep at each safety spot.
I'm guessing it hasn't been updated to reflect his move to safety. From ESPN Insider...

As of July 30, there was a rumor that the Detroit Lions would switch Amari Spievey from cornerback to safety. As of Aug. 26, that rumor has become reality, according to Tom Kowalski of MLive.com.

Kowalski notes that while Spievey's skill set was not ideal to play CB at the NFL level, he will be able to make more of an impact as a safety. The other factor in the move could be that aside from Louis Delmas, there was no clear-cut favorite to start at the safety level. In fact, this could clear Spievey to earn a starting job as a rookie. Kowalski speculates that we could see the in-game debut of Spievey at his new position this Saturday in the team's preseason game against the Cleveland Browns.

Latest posts