Speraw retiring

Good for him. I didn't realize he'd been around as long as he had in coaching. 43 yrs. Dude's been around the block. Glad he's going out his way. He's going to get some well deserved recognition now.

Highly doubt it, but it would be interesting for Fran to fill the spot with someone like Pat Baldwin. He could do it in hopes he gets his son to come back to college and follow his dad.

You heard it here 1st. Connor McCaffrey will be the new assistant. Iowa loves it's sons as assistants!!

I've seen more coaching and leadership from Connor on the court as a player then I have from Brian. Whether "Iowa loves it's sons as assistants" or not, I think Connor is a good fit. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Brian.

I've seen more coaching and leadership from Connor on the court as a player then I have from Brian. Whether "Iowa loves it's sons as assistants" or not, I think Connor is a good fit. Unfortunately I can't say the same about Brian.
I actually think BF was a solid Oline coach.... unfortunately I think that's pretty much his ceiling... The whole OC/QB coach thing doesn't exactly have a great vibe to it. This is his 4th or 5th yr now as OC? Not many dudes with his resume as an OC get to keep on keeping on... Pretty easy to see why he does...

The incident with Horner and North Dakota when he was an assistant there might hurt his chances. I don't know that, but it could.

Oliver would be my first call. Probably need to make him lead assistant and perhaps add a title like associate head coach. He's the most experienced of the trio with Horner and Gatens, and he knows Iowa and the Big Ten from a scouting and recruiting standpoint.

Fran also has a lot of pre-Iowa connections. He could have someone in mind outside the Hawkeye family.

I'd imagine this wasn't a surprise retirement and Fran probably has already been preparing for a replacement hire. I'd expect some news of a replacement hire to come fairly soon.

Obviously it wouldn’t fly to hire Connor as an assistant because this is a P5 program and he doesn’t have paid experience.

But…I’d take him as a grad assistant on a track to become a paid assistant within a year or two.

I'd imagine this wasn't a surprise retirement and Fran probably has already been preparing for a replacement hire. I'd expect some news of a replacement hire to come fairly soon.
This.

An organization at that high of a level has this shit planned out unless it’s a scandal or some sort of life emergency or sickness.

Fran has probably known for a few years the date Speraw was going to retire. It’s not something you announce ahead of time.

You heard it here 1st. Connor McCaffrey will be the new assistant. Iowa loves it's sons as assistants!!
And that's bad how? Connor can D up on multiple positions and as a coach he can impart that experience. I just get a little tired of the Negative Nancy's that post on this forum. I've got enough negativity going on in my life (just had my left foot amputated, so now I have metal feet) which makes it hard to read a lot of the poster's comments here.

Just like athletic directors have a short list in case a head coaching vacancy arises, head coaches have the same with assistants. Fran has probably already talked to at least a dozen people ro some degree or another.