Spencer Petras Preparing for Iowa Senior Day

Doesn't Petras still have a COVID year he can use for an extra year of eligibility? If that is true does he have any interest in using that extra year? If he does, does he intend to return to Iowa, or will he pull a Charlie Jones and use his extra year to head elsewhere?

Doesn't Petras still have a COVID year he can use for an extra year of eligibility? If that is true does he have any interest in using that extra year? If he does, does he intend to return to Iowa, or will he pull a Charlie Jones and use his extra year to head elsewhere?
If I were him, I probably wouldn’t come back here for another year if I’m playing another season in college.

To answer your question, I was going to ask him yesterday but didn’t get a chance. Not sure he would have answered.

He's been abused mentally and physically by Iowa's offense but still holds his head high.
That's on the coaches. I gained a lot respect for him at Champaign where being low to the fid I could see what he was dealing with. Couple of linemen were completely lost and the RBs had now clue how to help him. IL consistently had clean unmolested runs at him.

If I were him, I probably wouldn’t come back here for another year if I’m playing another season in college.

To answer your question, I was going to ask him yesterday but didn’t get a chance. Not sure he would have answered.

I say this with the utmost respect for Spencer Petras the person, but the "break up" would probably be mutual.

Not to hijack this thread, but I heard about the rumor of Cade McNamara hitting the portal and Iowa being the #1 option on the board. I really wasn't impressed with him last year and he wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Petras returning, IMO.

W/L record will be better next year because of the schedule not because of the quarterback play. Of course, I could be wrong and McNamara comes to Iowa and looks like Trace McSorley 2.0

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.

Not to hijack this thread, but I heard about the rumor of Cade McNamara hitting the portal and Iowa being the #1 option on the board. I really wasn't impressed with him last year and he wouldn't be much of an upgrade from Petras returning, IMO.

W/L record will be better next year because of the schedule not because of the quarterback play. Of course, I could be wrong and McNamara comes to Iowa and looks like Trace McSorley 2.0

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.
When he was demoted to start the season, I thought McNamara might be a transfer candidate and a good fit for Iowa.

I say this with the utmost respect for Spencer Petras the person, but the "break up" would probably be mutual.
It would depend on who you ask if you’re talking coaches.

Most fans? Yeah, they’ve voiced their opinions. And the tone is what one would expect with current human interaction.

Most often fans want the next guy, the future at QB, at least during my 26-year experience covering the team. Plenty called for Petras when Stanley was the guy.

Stanley couldn’t win the Big Ten West in 3 years as a starter. Petras is closing in on No. 2.

Yes, there’s context, layers, circumstances, etc. I think some of the criticism levied at Petras certainly is warranted. We’ve all seen him struggle. Some of shots hurled at him have gone too far, IMO. Again, it’s the landscape on which we live.

I said on my pod with Doc yesterday anyone who boos Petras on senior day is an asshole. Feel more strongly about that today.

I may or may not be working on this topic for a game day column. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Most fans? Yeah, they’ve voiced their opinions. And the tone is what one would expect with current human interaction.

Most often fans want the next guy, the future at QB, at least during my 26-year experience covering the team. Plenty called for Petras when Stanley was the guy.

Stanley couldn’t win the Big Ten West in 3 years as a starter. Petras is closing in on No. 2.

Yes, there’s context, layers, circumstances, etc. I think some of the criticism levied at Petras certainly is warranted. We’ve all seen him struggle. Some of shots hurled at him have gone too far, IMO. Again, it’s the landscape on which we live.

I said on my pod with Doc yesterday anyone who boos Petras on senior day is an asshole. Feel more strongly about that today.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Thank you Rob.

When he was demoted to start the season, I thought McNamara might be a transfer candidate and a good fit for Iowa.
He just had major knee surgery. Some people respond quickly. My own "major knee surgery" took close to 7 years before it got as good as it could get. Then it was a regression. I could never really pitch ever after the surgery and tossing a football was awkward. I could never go down playing infield. A certain bend in the knee and I have no ability to push off.

Then there is the emotional part of trusting the knee again. Basketball I could compensate for.

Major knee surgeries often mean things are never the same again. Maybe worth a shot though.

I can't imagine why he would ever lose out to McCarthy prior to the injury. Before I digress....

Happy Thanksgiving.
Petras is 2-1 vs Wisconsin. Stanley was 0-3. That certainly counts for something. When was the last time the winner of the western division not the winner of the Iowa vs Wisconsin game? With one exception (Northwestern in 2018) I think you have to go back to when it was still Leaders and Legends.

It's going to be tough. The O has to be able to pass to WRs and RBs need to run. Neb will score some points. Iowa 20-13.
Our last four with them have been close. Reicinos FG in OT in 2018, Keith Duncan at the buzzer in '19, Van Valkenburg with the sack and fumble recovery when Nebraska was driving in '20, and the absolute Houdini act last year.

There is no reason for this to be close. But depending on which Nebraska team shows up it might be.

Our last four with them have been close. Reicinos FG in OT in 2018, Keith Duncan at the buzzer in '19, Van Valkenburg with the sack and fumble recovery when Nebraska was driving in '20, and the absolute Houdini act last year.

There is no reason for this to be close. But depending on which Nebraska team shows up it might be.

Or the play caller calling 66 yard v Wisconsin shows up.

The 2 TE s out concerns me.

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think Iowa has gotten better the last 2 years. Instead the Big Ten West and NW, Wisc especially have gotten much worse. The only teams that have improved slightly are Purdue and ILL.

Dude is mentally tougher then 99% of the softies coming into college ball now. They all have an entitled mindset and want to have things handed to them be it $ or PT. Gotta hand it to KF when it comes to having a culture in place this is exhibit A to that. Sure we have some guys transfer out too but this is certainly different then most. A guy in Spencers shoes after last yr would have been encouraged to leave by most programs I bet.

Now maybe it's because KF knew he didn't have a CJ Beathard or anyone better behind him either I dunno but he thought he was their best option and he's hardly wavered on that. Now that everything is all but done it is what it is. The kid deserves our respect he's had the coaches and teammates already for quite awhile. The least he deserves is the largest standing O Kinnick can give him. Lets finish this with a W. F Nebraska

Dude is mentally tougher then 99% of the softies coming into college ball now. They all have an entitled mindset and want to have things handed to them be it $ or PT. Gotta hand it to KF when it comes to having a culture in place this is exhibit A to that. Sure we have some guys transfer out too but this is certainly different then most. A guy in Spencers shoes after last yr would have been encouraged to leave by most programs I bet.

Now maybe it's because KF knew he didn't have a CJ Beathard or anyone better behind him either I dunno but he thought he was their best option and he's hardly wavered on that. Now that everything is all but done it is what it is. The kid deserves our respect he's had the coaches and teammates already for quite awhile. The least he deserves is the largest standing O Kinnick can give him. Lets finish this with a W. F Nebraska
KF is like a kid who starts a fire and gets credit for calling the fire dept....

Latest posts