Spencer Lee vs Gilman

Grady

It was awesome to see these two Iowa legends finally decide it on the mat. Seeded #2 and #4 respectively, Gilman and Lee sailed into the best-of-3 finals, trying to get a chance at an Olympic spot on the US team if they finish in the top 3 at an Olympic qualifier in 3 weeks in Turkey. As expected, both matches were tight and could have gone either way. In the first match, Lee got up 5-1, but Gilman picked Lee up late in the 2nd period and put him to his back -- could have been either 2 or 4 pts and the three refs split on the call, but the video gave Gilman 2 and that was the decider as Lee won 5-3. Late in the final period of the 2nd match it was 2-2 but Gilman owned the criteria since he'd scored last. With just 50 seconds remaining, Lee got in on a leg, Gilman got out of position, Lee got a TD, a quick tilt, and eased Gilman toward his back -- and at that point Gilman just gave up and laid down as he knew it was over. Either match could have gone either way, but Lee got 'em both. Good sportmanship between them after the match.

I watched a lot of the trials. Spencer looked great. He dominated some damn good wrestlers before Gilman. He's just a beast. Happy for him.

Nolf and Brooks taking down Burroughs and Taylor respectively is sick. Even Dake could only squeak by Nolf this time around. The PSU program is simply at an other-worldly level. I hate it, but it is what it is...

Yeah, I've watched Brooks a lot over the years, and have generally not been that impressed. But DANG, he was a man possessed on Saturday. Never seen him wrestle so aggressively, and Taylor didn't know what hit him. Didn't see the Burroughs match.

If he wrestles as he did on Saturday, agreed.

I haven't watched a lot of freestyle, and after Saturday have a couple questions I hope folks can answer:
1) What are the deciding factors which determine as a result of passivity...
a) one wrestler is given the choice of par terre; or
b) one wrestler gets put on the 30-second 'score or opponent gets 1 pt'?
Aren't they both the result of passivity on the part of one wrestler?

2) I'm not clear on when 1 pt is given on the edge of the mat:
a) During the Lee/Gilman match, at one point Lee had the advantage, had a double-underhook on Gilman, Gilman went down to his knees as a defense, and Lee pushed him once, twice, and the 3rd time eventually pushing him (with an offensive hold) out of bounds. No point was awarded -- both guys return to their feet.
b) Later, Lee got Gilman in a single-leg, lifted up the leg high, and without resistance walked him off the edge of the mat -- 1 pt awarded to Lee.
Seemed odd to me: in a) Gilman was resisting, yet got pushed off the mat; in b) Gilman offered no resistance, yet 1 pt was awarded.

Appreciate any insight.

If he wrestles as he did on Saturday, agreed.

I haven't watched a lot of freestyle, and after Saturday have a couple questions I hope folks can answer:
1) What are the deciding factors which determine as a result of passivity...
a) one wrestler is given the choice of par terre; or
b) one wrestler gets put on the 30-second 'score or opponent gets 1 pt'?
Aren't they both the result of passivity on the part of one wrestler?

2) I'm not clear on when 1 pt is given on the edge of the mat:
a) During the Lee/Gilman match, at one point Lee had the advantage, had a double-underhook on Gilman, Gilman went down to his knees as a defense, and Lee pushed him once, twice, and the 3rd time eventually pushing him (with an offensive hold) out of bounds. No point was awarded -- both guys return to their feet.
b) Later, Lee got Gilman in a single-leg, lifted up the leg high, and without resistance walked him off the edge of the mat -- 1 pt awarded to Lee.
Seemed odd to me: in a) Gilman was resisting, yet got pushed off the mat; in b) Gilman offered no resistance, yet 1 pt was awarded.

Appreciate any insight.
I'm no expert on freestyle either. The rules were tweaked a few years ago which made it less confusing.

How they determine when to trigger the passivity clock is confusing for me too. They put Spencer on the clock in that match shortly after he took a shot, so I'd have to dig into it to fully understand. And, yes, I believe a point is automatically awarded to the opponent after 30 seconds if you don't score.

As far as the push-out, I could be wrong, but I believe no point is awarded if you are on your knees. Whether one knee counts, I don't know. I believe if you intentionally drop to a knee on the edge, however, you can be penalized for fleeing. There's something different with the tripod rule as well, compared to folkstyle.