Spearman

I seen Sporman run 4.4 40 he'll play in NFL next year jest anohter player Feretz run off because he dint want the best players to win!

Feretzn has too go!! Give me Bezlema over this bullcrap

Two scenarios: 1) He never starts and rides pine for two years. This doesn't make our program look all that good, or it makes his decision look foolish.2) He starts and plays from the get-go, and what the astute posters above said with regard to exploiting comes to fruition in game one next season.
You are discounting the possibility that a) our coaches are too stupid to properly identify and exploit said weakness (extremely likely, especially with KF and GD calling the offensive shots) and b) the fact that there is currently no RB on our roster with the proven ability to exploit said weakness, either. Other than that, great plan.

Spearman was a huge part of the problem at linebacker. He refused to consider playing DE. Highly dedicated teammate out getting drunk mid-season. He brought a crappy attitude into the season and maintained it thru-out the season. One less entitled problem.

Actually we live in a free country, so we all have EVERY right to judge his choice. We do it all the time in our everyday lives and we do it all the time on the interwebz.

As far as Spearman goes, I really just can't see this as a big loss. He couldn't beat out a walk on or a 2 star Iowa recruit who are both a grade younger than him. If that doesn't scream just leave and move down a level where you belong, I don't know what does.

You're correct, we do live in a free country; and we have every right to our opinions about his choices. If you are going to judge someone on their choices; you better make sure that all of yours have been perfect. Unless of course you are the Judge, Jury and Executioner.

You are discounting the possibility that a) our coaches are too stupid to properly identify and exploit said weakness (extremely likely, especially with KF and GD calling the offensive shots) and b) the fact that there is currently no RB on our roster with the proven ability to exploit said weakness, either. Other than that, great plan.

I'm not sure it would take a RB beyond "average" to exploit it. OTOH, we'll probably throw 57 times that game, any way!

You're correct, we do live in a free country; and we have every right to our opinions about his choices. If you are going to judge someone on their choices; you better make sure that all of yours have been perfect. Unless of course you are the Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Hm, ok. Don't ever vote in an election then. Or work in the legal system. Or management. Or become a father.

"Hey, Johnny, I understand you've been skipping class, and were arrested for DUI last night. I don't want to judge you though, can I be your friend?"

Newsflash, you don't reach the NFL at the University of Iowa from the coaches doghouse. Spearman's relationship with Ferentz has been strained ever since his arrest. Ferentz took away his starting position and gave it to a freshman walk on. Spearman was never going to start again under this coaching staff no matter what he did.
How do you know this? I guess I haven't read that anywhere. Do you work there or something?

It didn't work for Reggie at Iowa. Best for him and us to move forward from this. If he was here next year people would be looking for him to fail. He's not the only guy that has moved on from Iowa.

Hm, ok. Don't ever vote in an election then. Or work in the legal system. Or management. Or become a father.

"Hey, Johnny, I understand you've been skipping class, and were arrested for DUI last night. I don't want to judge you though, can I be your friend?"

You are entitled to your opinion and I can respect that; but your examples are so far fetched that it's laughable.

So none of your friends have ever skipped class?
So none of you friends have even broken the law?
I'm assuming that this is the case because how could they ever be a good person but yet done something as drastic as the things you stated.

I vote because its my right to do so. I vote after forming an opinion about the candidates views and agendas.
I don't work in the legal system; but last I new there are guidelines that need to be followed.
I do work in management; but I'm guess you don't. As a manager, if you are going to judge people you wouldn't work for me. That's a good way to get yourself into a heap of legal trouble.
And finally as a father that has kids that are grown and gone; and yeah they have made mistakes like everyone else. In my opinion some of their choice wouldn't have been my choices, but that still doesn't mean they are bad people. And it doesn't mean that I will disown them because I don't agree with them at times.

Now back to the topic at hand.

You are entitled to your opinion and I can respect that; but your examples are so far fetched that it's laughable.

So none of your friends have ever skipped class?
So none of you friends have even broken the law?
I'm assuming that this is the case because how could they ever be a good person but yet done something as drastic as the things you stated.

I vote because its my right to do so. I vote after forming an opinion about the candidates views and agendas.
I don't work in the legal system; but last I new there are guidelines that need to be followed.
I do work in management; but I'm guess you don't. As a manager, if you are going to judge people you wouldn't work for me. That's a good way to get yourself into a heap of legal trouble.
And finally as a father that has kids that are grown and gone; and yeah they have made mistakes like everyone else. In my opinion some of their choice wouldn't have been my choices, but that still doesn't mean they are bad people. And it doesn't mean that I will disown them because I don't agree with them at times.

Now back to the topic at hand.

So you are gonna fire someone cause they judge others????? Talk about a heap of legal trouble.

Your employees are judging you and the job you are doing all the time. If you don't think they are, then you are just completely delusional.

Man, this thread got off the rails. Spearman maybe didnt like Iowa City or going to school here. I havent seen a lot of this tweets/etc.

He came here as a kid and he is just a few months older than 18 and has already used up two years of eligibility. Makes you wonder if there should be an NCAA rule that if a kid graduates high school so early but wants to play football he can go to a prep school for a year or two until he becomes 18 to go to the D1 school. A lot of 18 year olds, including myself especially, arent sure what they want.

With only two years left to play he may have thought a school with less defensive ends was a better choice. I would have liked to see him stay and get his reps this year as probably a backup rush end.

New tweet from Reggie today...ouch

attachment.php

Sorry for the image. I can't retweet him or copy his tweets.

Attachments

• spearman.jpg
    spearman.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 104
Ouch is right Sparky...hey Reggie, you don't have to face David Johnson from UNI this coming year....that's cool....:p

So you are gonna fire someone cause they judge others????? Talk about a heap of legal trouble.

Your employees are judging you and the job you are doing all the time. If you don't think they are, then you are just completely delusional.

You totally missed the point but okay. I was referring to judging people by their personal decisions.

If I were to judge you by the way you dress, your personal hair style, whether or not you are over weight, your race, sexual preference or your religious beliefs you would scream discrimination. And frankly; none of these things says anything about the type of person or employee you may be. IMO judging people for who they are and having to remove someone for under performance or discrimination towards others are two totally different things.

Of course the employee base judges the managers. That's why its very important to treat them with respect regardless of your personal opinions about their choices or lifestyle. Unless of course their choices are in violation of the law or company policies; but that is a different situation entirely.

Now back to Mr. Spearman; while I personally wish he would have stuck around, I won't fault the kid for doing what he thinks is best for him and his future.