Spearman

It is sad to see young athletes make terrible choices like these. He really should have stayed and put the effort in here to improve and regain the starting job rather than downgrading as he did.

It is sad to see young athletes make terrible choices like these. He really should have stayed and put the effort in here to improve and regain the starting job rather than downgrading as he did.

I don't really think Illinois State is a downgrade from us.

Caddy is right...Iowa better have two spies on their QB or he will run for 200 yards against us. I wouldn't take Iowa even up against them.

How do you know this was a terrible choice for him? What he really should have done was what's best for him; it appears that he did that very thing. If he believes this move was in his best interest, then it was the right choice. None of us have the right to say what he should have done or that his choices where terrible.

How do you know this was a terrible choice for him? What he really should have done was what's best for him; it appears that he did that very thing. If he believes this move was in his best interest, then it was the right choice. None of us have the right to say what he should have done or that his choices where terrible.

Actually we live in a free country, so we all have EVERY right to judge his choice. We do it all the time in our everyday lives and we do it all the time on the interwebz.

As far as Spearman goes, I really just can't see this as a big loss. He couldn't beat out a walk on or a 2 star Iowa recruit who are both a grade younger than him. If that doesn't scream just leave and move down a level where you belong, I don't know what does.

Last edited:
Al I can say is good luck....it didn't work out in IC & hopefully Illinois St is the answer for ya....

For one thing his chances of making it to the nfl are slim at Ill. St. They only have 3 players in the nfl to Iowa's 26. Iowa has had linebackers in the nfl who did not reach their potential at Iowa until their junior year such as Pat Angerer who would play in the nfl. Iowa has better facilities, exposure, training etc etc to help him develop into an nfl caliber LB or DE. I still say this is a bad decision on his part.

I think the kid had some talent. For whatever reason, he never felt comfortable enough to just focus on football. Had a lot of bad news coming from home than kept him distracted imo. Maybe now that he's back in his home state he won't feel so disconnected and be able concentrate on football. It's a shame he couldn't do it for the Hawks. He was a kid I had high hopes for.

He will have eight sacks, 14 tackles for loss, 6 deflected passes, one pick six, and three fumble recoveries at D end in a 21-17 win. That's transfer football execution.

Newsflash, you don't reach the NFL at the University of Iowa from the coaches doghouse. Spearman's relationship with Ferentz has been strained ever since his arrest. Ferentz took away his starting position and gave it to a freshman walk on. Spearman was never going to start again under this coaching staff no matter what he did.

For one thing his chances of making it to the nfl are slim at Ill. St. They only have 3 players in the nfl to Iowa's 26. Iowa has had linebackers in the nfl who did not reach their potential at Iowa until their junior year such as Pat Angerer who would play in the nfl. Iowa has better facilities, exposure, training etc etc to help him develop into an nfl caliber LB or DE. I still say this is a bad decision on his part.

Bo Bower is on scholarship now, and the Iowa coaching staff gives everyone a fair shot to earn a starting job after having problems early on. Pat Angerer is a good example.

Two scenarios:

1) He never starts and rides pine for two years. This doesn't make our program look all that good, or it makes his decision look foolish.
2) He starts and plays from the get-go, and what the astute posters above said with regard to exploiting comes to fruition in game one next season.

There are a ton of reasons guys transfer. There a ton of reasons things don't work out. If we are the "classy" program and fan base, we wish him well. He's still a kid, and he still has other concerns like school, family, friends, homesickness, crime/poverty in his home town, etc. If this move helps him best in his adjustments and future endeavors, God bless him.