Spartan Story

tjhawk23

I found this first paragraph a little frustrating over at SpartanNation.

"It was a classic. It was nearly all we expected it to be. Yet, it was seriously marred by a handful of horrific game changing calls that unfortunately went against MSU. First, there was the remarkably late and awful Personal Foul call on Sr. DB Jeremy Ware. Then we had an apparent Iowa fumble down by the Spartan goal line that went undetected, and seemingly ignored by replay officials. Later in the final Iowa drive, there was a pivotal Defensive Holding call against MSU that possibly could’ve gone uncalled. Could there have also been clock issues on the final drive too? Win or lose, those calls hang a smattering of dark clouds over a truly classic Big Ten battle between the Spartans and Hawkeyes."

LINK

Horrific?

1. Awful Personal Foul call? Awful!?!? Are you kidding me? The call was obvious.
  2. That fumble the announcers kept talking about as well. My question is, did they even get the ball?
  3. The holding call could have gone uncalled? Did the guy see the replay? He held him the entire way up until the pass.

I stopped reading the article after that first paragraph. I understand their frustration, but all of the calls had reason.

I will say I am very surprised the fumble wasnt reviewed. But I believe that if the Spartans saw it that they could have challenged the call.

I will say I am very surprised the fumble wasnt reviewed. But I believe that if the Spartans saw it that they could have challenged the call.

MSU called a timeout on that play; if they wanted to challenge it I'm sure they could have. They had plenty of time to do so.

No, they did not get the ball on Wegher's fumble. Was it a fumble? Yes. Did they recover? No. This is the laughable part:

Watching the play live, it appeared by Jr. LB Eric Gordon’s reaction that MSU had recovered. The ball appeared to be out clean, and appeared to be recovered by the Spartans.

By all means, base your opinion on the reactions of your team's player...I mean, those guys that point indicating it's their ball are never wrong.

No, they did not get the ball on Wegher's fumble. Was it a fumble? Yes. Did they recover? No. This is the laughable part:

By all means, base your opinion on the reactions of your team's player...I mean, those guys that point indicating it's their ball are never wrong.

Exactly - I couldn't believe that wasn't even brought up on TV

Why is it that every time the Hawks win, the losing teams fans complain about the refs? I find it quite humorous.

Why is it that every time the Hawks win, the losing teams fans complain about the refs? I find it quite humorous.

Ummm....we do the same thing. In fact, if you listen very closely, you'll probably hear somone complaining about the Michigan game from 2005.

and didin't the ref blow the play dead you can see him raising his hand and blowing the whistle. play dead right? can't be reviewed i could be wrong but thats what i thought i saw

THIS IS SPARTAAAA!

crying.baby_medium.jpg

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a challenge have to come from a ruling on the field? There was no ruling that he fumbled, then recovered. Therefore a challenge would be null, right? And challenges can't come from coaches in college, just the NFL. All challenges in college come from the review booth upstairs.

What about the 2 pass interference calls that weren't call on Iowa's last drive? The long pass at the pylon and then the defender going through Moeaki on the throwback in the endzone.

The holding call was as obvious as it gets. In fact the ball was in the air and it should have be PI with a spot foul on the 1 or 2 yard line. They were lucky it was only holding. We also did recover the fumble and that's why it wasn't reviewed.

What about the 2 pass interference calls that weren't call on Iowa's last drive? The long pass at the pylon and then the defender going through Moeaki on the throwback in the endzone.

Actually, on the long pass to the near pylon to DJK on the last drive, that was pretty good defense. The defender never turned around, but he didn't get there early either...I'd like to see DJK "force" the call by coming back into the defender on a play like that, but it worked out for us in the end.

I've got the game recorded. I'm going to watch that play over and over. Agreed it was a fumble, but I kept saying as they kept showing the replay that we recovered, we recovered, it doesn't matter.

Latest posts