Spanky--Chasson Randle?

FreddyBrown

Do you know if that was him behind the IA bench last night? Looked like him to me.

Can't imagine watching that whole scene last night helped Iowa's cause much.

I can't imagine Randle coming to Iowa playing Iowa ball. He probably likes to run a fast break every now and then...

Mark it down, he will not be coming to Iowa. TL is not gonna pull him in, because TL is looking for another role player. Why go and get a "Great Athlete", instead we are gonna recruit a small-town PG who stands around 5-9 and weighs 150lbs. That's about TL formula for Div 1 Players. God Iowa basketball is a joke!

The most striking thing I've read from a recruit during Coach Lickliter's tenure was a statement from Randle that he still has interest in Iowa because of Coach Jordan but that he really hasn't spoken with Lickliter.

I understand the role of assistant coaches in recruiting but here we have a kid an hour away who is reportedly a terrific talent and has been known as such for at least a couple of years, Iowa is recruiting him, and Lickliter has never found a way to talk to the young man, while Jordan has?

That's the kind of thing that makes you wonder what kind of a coach we have. Any head coach who is above the nitty gritty of recruiting is destined to fail at this level.

By the way Randle is no goofball like an Armstead who doesn't make sense and doesn't tell a consistent story about his recruitment. Chasson is a bright kid and a good student with his head on straight. In other words, just the kind of kid we'd most like to have at Iowa. We might not get him even under the best of circumstances (parents being big Illini fans, etc.), but to not have your head coach in there pitching as hard and as often as possible is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
Lickliter has been recruiting Randle since Day 1. He's been visited Iowa on numerous occasions. It's not like Iowa is in left field with Randle.

What erks me is that people continue to ask why players would want to come here... there are plenty of reasons - chance to bring back a program, playing time, brand new facilities are being constructed, etc... there are a lot of reason. Another one being for Chasson is it's a fairly close drive to IC from his hometown compared to other offers.

Last night, however, didn't do a lot to help his recruitment.

Last night, however, didn't do a lot to help his recruitment.

Spank.....it did for the Illini.

Good point. The Krush were wooing him all night. It was embarassing for all things Hawkeye.

And we even feed the Illini fans cheap food to boot.

I know there might be a limited amount of contact allowed with a recruit,so maybe that factors into Lick's lack of face time with Randle...if not, then yes, he needs to be out front selling his program to Randle.

I saw that Weber popped up at Marcus Paige's game the other day in CR.
I know that Pearl has been seen at Randle's games.
I know that Roy Williams traveled multiple times to Ames in the dead of winter last year to see Barnes.
I rarely hear of Lick being seen at recruits games...maybe he is under the radar so it never gets reported,but I just have to wonder if he embraces recruiting like necessary to win at Iowa?

I do think Iowa has a lot to offer kids like Randle,Paige and Jok...proximaty,great league, great school, coming new facilities...I know that if Lick got a LOI from Randle next november, his chances of surviving to 2012 would be greatly enhanced from hardcore hawk bb fans. Give us some hope to cling to,Lick!