Spam pop ups!

goods10

I get pop ups when accessing the forums.
One was telling me I won a Walmart gift card. One tells me I have won a new iPhone. The other one I get tells me my phone has a virus and to click ok to fix it.

Anyone else get these?? So annoying!

Yep it’s super freaking annoying. I was just typing a response to another thread and got kicked to some stupid Amazon pop up and lost what I was typing.

So, people are now complaining about winning iPhones and Walmart gift cards? Fricken millenials!

Come on Jon...please get these freaking pop up spam attacks taken care of on your site. I couldn’t even get to Rob’s article about the QB transferring because of spam!

I get kicked off the site once every few minutes.

Come on Jon...please get these freaking pop up spam attacks taken care of on your site. I couldn’t even get to Rob’s article about the QB transferring because of spam!

Stop using Internet Explorer on your laptop/desktop and the built-in Chrome or Safari browser (without extensions) on you phone/tablet. I use Mozilla Firefox with the AdBlock Plus extension. The AdBlock Plus extension is available for Chrome and Safari as well. This simple change will kill all the popups and ads before they start.

Go download Brave Browser. https://brave.com/ Based on chrome, but has built-in ad/tracker blockers. I have no troubles with HN when using Brave. I understand it kills their business model of ad-based revenue, but as long as they insist on using a shitty ad network with malicious ads, I will insist on blocking those ads.

Go download Brave Browser. https://brave.com/ Based on chrome, but has built-in ad/tracker blockers. I have no troubles with HN when using Brave. I understand it kills their business model of ad-based revenue, but as long as they insist on using a shitty ad network with malicious ads, I will insist on blocking those ads.

I tried that and it worked great for awhile. Now it doesn't work anymore. Maybe I changed a setting or something. It was stopping me from seeing posted tweets for awhile too. It's just rude to not let you back out of something and have to completely start over.

I tried that and it worked great for awhile. Now it doesn't work anymore. Maybe I changed a setting or something. It was stopping me from seeing posted tweets for awhile too. It's just rude to not let you back out of something and have to completely start over.

Click on the Brave icon in the top-right and see if you still have the Block Ads and Block 3rd Party Cookies options selected. If you do, something else is going on, as it shouldn't be able to get past Brave.

So when I use the add blocker on Brave, I can't see tweets that people post. Also the box that I type posts in is really small. I can only see 2 lines of a post, which sucks for proof reading. Is there a way to block adds without these issues, or do I have to pick my poison? There are times when I want to see a tweet so I shut off the add blocker and I usually get kicked off the site before the tweet even loads.

So when I use the add blocker on Brave, I can't see tweets that people post. Also the box that I type posts in is really small. I can only see 2 lines of a post, which sucks for proof reading. Is there a way to block adds without these issues, or do I have to pick my poison? There are times when I want to see a tweet so I shut off the add blocker and I usually get kicked off the site before the tweet even loads.

Let me do some testing and get back to you. I know you should be able to whitelist Twitter.com to show the tweets. Not sure about the 2-line box issue.

@PCHawk Looks like if you click the Shield icon and under cookie control, choose Allow All Cookies, Twitter will start working again. You'll still block the ads and trackers (good), so you really don't have to worry about the ad networks dropping cookies on your machine, but it will allow Twitter to place one so you can see those embedded tweets.

It's kind of a crappy design that you can't whitelist certain domains for cookies like you can with ads, so I'm going to submit a feature request through their github site to see if they can fix that.

Let me know if that works for you.

@PCHawk Looks like if you click the Shield icon and under cookie control, choose Allow All Cookies, Twitter will start working again. You'll still block the ads and trackers (good), so you really don't have to worry about the ad networks dropping cookies on your machine, but it will allow Twitter to place one so you can see those embedded tweets.

It's kind of a crappy design that you can't whitelist certain domains for cookies like you can with ads, so I'm going to submit a feature request through their github site to see if they can fix that.

Wow you are way smarter than me.

It worked thanks. While I was looking for a post with a tweet to see if it worked, I found a video that said it couldn't play because JavaScript or something. I turned the "block scripts" setting off and it fixed the 2 line box problem too.

It worked thanks. While I was looking for a post with a tweet to see if it worked, I found a video that said it couldn't play because JavaScript or something. I turned the "block scripts" setting off and it fixed the 2 line box problem too.

Ah good. I hadn't even started working on that one yet. Glad you figured it out. :)

The point is why should we have to jump through all of these hoops in order to use this site? Seems ridiculous imo.

Latest posts