Sour Grapes/Dawn Staley

dahlhawk

I had a lot of respect for Coach Staley and the SC team until I listened to Dawn Staley’s thinly veiled attack on coach Bluder and the insinuation of racist behavior of Media and fans. Taking an innocent compliment by Coach Bluder about comparing rebounding against SC “like a barroom fight” and twisting it into a racist comment sickens me. This is worse than being a “poor loser” this was an attempt to harm Iowa and it’s reputation and really borders on being malicious. Her players seemed to echo her sentiments complaining of rough Iowa play and bad officiating. Kinda of like what Maryland said about them. This is just ugly behavior and has no place in todays game. I don’t know if this was an attempt to diminish Iowa’s achievement or salvage their pride but it’s sad. Now LSU thinks Iowa disrespected SC by not guarding their shooters. Since when in basketball do we feel sorry for a team for being bad shooters? Tell me what race has to do with shooting 3 pointers? I hope the NCAA or the SEC comes down hard on her, I know they would against coach Bluder if she said such outlandish comments.

I had a lot of respect for Coach Staley and the SC team until I listened to Dawn Staley’s thinly veiled attack on coach Bluder and the insinuation of racist behavior of Media and fans. Taking an innocent compliment by Coach Bluder about comparing rebounding against SC “like a barroom fight” and twisting it into a racist comment sickens me. This is worse than being a “poor loser” this was an attempt to harm Iowa and it’s reputation and really borders on being malicious. Her players seemed to echo her sentiments complaining of rough Iowa play and bad officiating. Kinda of like what Maryland said about them. This is just ugly behavior and has no place in todays game. I don’t know if this was an attempt to diminish Iowa’s achievement or salvage their pride but it’s sad. Now LSU thinks Iowa disrespected SC by not guarding their shooters. Since when in basketball do we feel sorry for a team for being bad shooters? Tell me what race has to do with shooting 3 pointers? I hope the NCAA or the SEC comes down hard on her, I know they would against coach Bluder if she said such outlandish comments.

Sour Grapes and totally Classless

Fans rooting for upsets or rooting against the heavy favorite is very common in sports. But I guess this one time out of a million times where everyone cheers for the underdog it's because of racism.

She also wouldn't give Clark an ounce of credit. Didn't even know Czinano's name. Couldn't believe they kept face-guarding our shooters and letting Clark drive right to the basket an letting Monika kill them with slip screens. I thought they'd switch at halftime to see if the shooters could beat us, but they kept doing what they were doing. It was like she thought that their players were so good that they could play us 1 on 1 and beat us.

Full disclosure, I have not read or seen any post game interviews, other than CC(s). CC is/was correct when she talked about how you can't take away everything and you have to pick and choose on what to take away. Bluder chose correctly. Yes, by not guarding the perimeter and letting CC basically play free safety, it did make Raven Johnson and her backcourt mates look like "scrubs". Once again, that isn't a Bluder problem, it was the right strategy to go with.

Apparently, there is a video clip floating around in the Twitter-verse that shows CC giving Raven Johnson some sorta hand gesture, in terms of not worrying about having to guard her. I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion on it. To Raven Johnson's credit, I believe she was 3-6 from 3-point land.

You can't take Bluder's game strategy, personally. Or maybe you do...I would bet Johnson and her returning teammates will be in the gym this Summer putting up shots.

Dawn Staley is a discredit to her school. You either take it like a big girl that the other team's star put up over 40 points on you or you end up looking like a sorry loser. Dawn has dropped a very long way in my estimation. What a way to tarnish her team's great season.

She also wouldn't give Clark an ounce of credit. Didn't even know Czinano's name. Couldn't believe they kept face-guarding our shooters and letting Clark drive right to the basket an letting Monika kill them with slip screens. I thought they'd switch at halftime to see if the shooters could beat us, but they kept doing what they were doing. It was like she thought that their players were so good that they could play us 1 on 1 and beat us.

Somewhat puzzling strategy

1680456399409.png

Wanna Bet on the outcome...

Dawn Staley is a discredit to her school. You either take it like a big girl that the other team's star put up over 40 points on you or you end up looking like a sorry loser. Dawn has dropped a very long way in my estimation. What a way to tarnish her team's great season.

Are you related to WC

1680456399409.png

:cool:

I didn't watch all of Staley's comments, but caught most of 'em, and I wasn't offended by anything she said. She did at some point say something like "give Iowa credit, they had a good game plan", which is more than the Georgia coach was willing to admit. Her quote in today's paper was along the lines of CC "was on point and was everything we saw on tape re: points, assists, and turnovers" and "she threaded the needle", which are pretty much factual statements. She also gave Czinano lots of props. Apparently a national reporter from somewhere had referred to her team as "bullies" the day before and another national reporter baited her at the post-game presser into defending her players, with her declaring "they aren't thugs, street fighters" etc...which, if Boston is any indication, is also a factual statement...Boston was incredibly classy before and after the game. Nothing wrong with Coaches defending their players. Bluder would have done the same.

Yea, this chit gets old, doesn't it? I completely lost all respect I had for her. If you lose, it's racial. Whatever.

And the not guarding was purely a team strategy for Iowa's best chance to win and deal with the size difference. It happens all the damn time. In HS the scout would show the player(s) to sag off and let shoot, and sometimes very obvious. It's happen all the history of b-ball. Stupid.

They just come off as a bunch of thugs at times. There, I said it.

Not really, they thought they could win every other game with easy post buckets, and even more rebounding misses for put backs. Iowa recognized that and knew to pack it in and challenge the outside shooters. Pure basketball strategy and brilliance by Iowa's staff.

I didn't watch all of Staley's comments, but caught most of 'em, and I wasn't offended by anything she said. She did at some point say something like "give Iowa credit, they had a good game plan", which is more than the Georgia coach was willing to admit. Her quote in today's paper was along the lines of CC "was on point and was everything we saw on tape re: points, assists, and turnovers" and "she threaded the needle", which are pretty much factual statements. She also gave Czinano lots of props. Apparently a national reporter from somewhere had referred to her team as "bullies" the day before and another national reporter baited her at the post-game presser into defending her players, with her declaring "they aren't thugs, street fighters" etc...which, if Boston is any indication, is also a factual statement...Boston was incredibly classy before and after the game. Nothing wrong with Coaches defending their players. Bluder would have done the same.

Yea, I didn't have a problem with Boston at all. She is no where on the same level as Morris or Reese.

Amen... Bluder coached circles around her. From the game plan to through out the game she pushed all the right buttons. If not for their 6'7 gal getting away with over the back all game long they wouldn't have even been in it. It's unreal how many shots they missed. For a team that'd won so many games they sure didn't seem all that skilled at running an O and making shots.

They did make that run in the 2nd half to briefly take the lead. But Bluder always had the answer. There was nothing fluky about how that game went. Iowa just beat em. I'm sure they'd like to play it back with Boston not being in foul trouble and sitting most of the 2nd q. I get that. I'd like to play the LSU game back too. That's tourny basketball for ya. You get one shot at it

Latest posts