Something positive, a lot of things are really wrong at Iowa, but is the season over?

HaydenHawk56

I know that is emerging as the general sentiment. No question, I agree with Jon that this team is under-achieving with the schedule and should be no worse than 5-3. There are a number of issues everywhere. However, besides the loss to Central Michigan (maybe Iowa St) is it possible that Penn St and Northwestern were just flat-out better than Iowa in most areas? I say yes here with at least 85-90% confidence.

This is a poor Iowa team, but I don't think the season is over unless the players absolutely pack it in.

Indiana can score points, but you can also score a lot on Indiana. Obviously we are struggling on offense, but if Iowa can play better and find themselves (even bring the effort they brought in the Minny game) they have at least a 50-50 chance there.

Purdue has packed it in. They got destroyed by Minny today. Iowa should beat Purdue at home.

That leaves Michigan and Nebraska. These are teams you should be able to get up for. Gain some confidence in the Indiana and Purdue games and who knows what happens.

Iowa still has a chance to win 3 of their last 4 IF they don't pack it in and play with a chip on their shoulder (like in overtime at MSU).

They still have a bowl game to play for. For this poor Iowa team, that would be wonderful.

Re: Something positive, a lot of things are really wrong at Iowa, but is the season o

I'm too optimistic, or stupid, to ever throw in the towel. I don't think the season is over, but at the same time I'm very doubtful. Any games where we have to rely on putting up points scares me. I no longer have the confidence to think we can out score anybody and unfortunately think that our margin of error is zero to win any of our remaining games. I hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't think our defense and special teams are capable of carrying a struggling offense.

Re: Something positive, a lot of things are really wrong at Iowa, but is the season o

^^^^^^^^^That said, I still think this team could be bowl eligible when it's all said and done.^^^^^^

Purdue has packed it in. They got destroyed by Minny today.

That's what the Purdue fans are saying in their forums about the Hawks after this week and last week.

The coaches quit on this team before the PSU game.

What is the definition of insanity?

One of the reasons why I don't think Iowa has not necessarily packed it in, they actually played somewhat inspired (albeit ineptly) in the 2nd half of the Northwestern game. When the game was at 28-3, they could have let it get much worse. They fought to a 28-17 loss. That is something to build on.

I so hope the coaches can motivate them (and themselves) in the remaining weeks in the Big Ten season.

Iowa has much more to play for than Purdue at this point (although Purdue could still become bowl eligible).

I agree HaydenHawk, the fact is though, I don't think it gets to 28-3 if the offense can actually sustain a drive and give the defense a reason to get fired up.

Kicker I'm just hoping the last 2 losses are a combination of many Iowa problems (like you note above) and playing much better teams. I pray we will match up a bit better in the next two game and find some confidence. But, that Indiana offense is hard to overlook and like you said, our offense is quite bad right now.

The boys just have to man up somehow.

Very little talent. Very little imagination (especially on offense). Resistant to change. Sorry not buying any optimism. This is a program in desperate need of some life.

I think we also sometimes forget, this is one of Ferentz's youngest teams, features a number of players playing from a poorly rated recruiting class (on the coaches).

It may be a miracle that this team is sitting at 4-4. Though, it is perplexing that the team can find a way to lose to Central Michigan and beat MSU on the road (who just beat Wisco today).

A lot of this blame lies strictly at the top, but Ferentz can do himself a lot of good if he can get this team up for the next 2 games. This stretch of the season is very important coaching moments for Ferentz.

I think we also sometimes forget, this is one of Ferentz's youngest teams, features a number of players playing from a poorly rated recruiting class (on the coaches).

It may be a miracle that this team is sitting at 4-4. Though, it is perplexing that the team can find a way to lose to Central Michigan and beat MSU on the road (who just beat Wisco today).

A lot of this blame lies strictly at the top, but Ferentz can do himself a lot of good if he can get this team up for the next 2 games. This stretch of the season is very important coaching moments for Ferentz.

Well Central M has beaten only 2 teams this year. The other was SE MO State....a not power house in their conference.

Indiana will for sure be up. Can the Hawks outscore them? Iowa struggled offensively today against one of the worst defenses they'll face.

To continue with the same gameplan week after week but continue to lose means you are insane. Do you realize that Iowa and that offense just scored 17 points against the worst defense in the Big Ten.

The sad part is Iowa is terrible but it's totally the CEOs fault. I don't blame JVB anymore. It's year 14 and Iowa is just as bad as year 2. Poor recruiting, coaching and refusal to change makes this head coach a giant fail.

Yep, it is very troubling to see we could only muster up 17 points today. But, I just hope Northwestern is just that much better than Indiana in most areas.

For sure, Indiana will be up for Iowa. They got a win on the road today (against a terrible Illini squad). Iowa has to find a way to bring it. MSU beat them there (and put up 31 points), no reason we should not be able to go in there and compete with them.

I know that is emerging as the general sentiment. No question, I agree with Jon that this team is under-achieving with the schedule and should be no worse than 5-3. There are a number of issues everywhere. However, besides the loss to Central Michigan (maybe Iowa St) is it possible that Penn St and Northwestern were just flat-out better than Iowa in most areas? I say yes here with at least 85-90% confidence.

This is a poor Iowa team, but I don't think the season is over unless the players absolutely pack it in.

Indiana can score points, but you can also score a lot on Indiana. Obviously we are struggling on offense, but if Iowa can play better and find themselves (even bring the effort they brought in the Minny game) they have at least a 50-50 chance there.

Purdue has packed it in. They got destroyed by Minny today. Iowa should beat Purdue at home.

That leaves Michigan and Nebraska. These are teams you should be able to get up for. Gain some confidence in the Indiana and Purdue games and who knows what happens.

Iowa still has a chance to win 3 of their last 4 IF they don't pack it in and play with a chip on their shoulder (like in overtime at MSU).

They still have a bowl game to play for. For this poor Iowa team, that would be wonderful.

Wow now that is some optimism.. 3 of their last 4??

Well this season isnt over because we still have games to play but yes it is over unless a change is made at QB.

One of the reasons why I don't think Iowa has not necessarily packed it in, they actually played somewhat inspired (albeit ineptly) in the 2nd half of the Northwestern game. When the game was at 28-3, they could have let it get much worse. They fought to a 28-17 loss. That is something to build on.
NW letting teams back in the game in 2nd half is nothing new this season. Iowa's offense is so crappy they couldn't do anything with NW's 2nd haplessness.

A lot of things would have to go right to win 3 of 4. Point is, there is a chance, but only if Iowa does not pack it in. Point is, there is still a lot to play for right now. 4 games (2 of them name opponents), a bowl game, and pride.

Yep, it is very troubling to see we could only muster up 17 points today. But, I just hope Northwestern is just that much better than Indiana in most areas.

For sure, Indiana will be up for Iowa. They got a win on the road today (against a terrible Illini squad). Iowa has to find a way to bring it. MSU beat them there (and put up 31 points), no reason we should not be able to go in there and compete with them.

You like the that word hope. I've watched the first 8 games and can tell you this team needs a lot more than hope..

Latest posts