Someone explain this to me......

I think it's time to stop relying on the "how many guys in the NFL" kind of comments.

Yes, top programs will send guys to the NFL. So do no-name D2 schools. But we've also seen some of the best college players, guys who have carried their teams to national championships, turn out to be the biggest NFL busts - particularly at the QB position.

Btw, the last Big Ten title for Iowa was 2004. That was awhile ago now.

Iowa doesn't take state funding to pay for its atheletic programs. It may generate $80 mllion but it spends $7.5 mil for a boat house for womens crew. I almost beat the revenues at other schools stay in the football program.

Those other schools on the top ten list....where are they? Are they in a state with less than 70,000 african americans? A state that produces maybe 10 D-1 players/year on average?
How many of those skill players in the NFL out of Iowa are Iowa natives?
Iowa can produce NFL o-linemen....and a few NFL tight ends...and that is about it.

Ohio? dozens and dozens of div 1 players produced annually.
Florida,Texas,Ca.? Hundreds.

Kids look to their state school first, which means that Texas,PSU,OSU,Florida,USC get the pick of the litter from the best talent. Iowa comes in about 40th in the union as far as attractiveness for star recruits from out of state.

The revenue would be helpful if you could just buy recruits,like the Yankees buy free agents. Iowa cannot do that.

The defensive excellence does not operate in a vacumm. The offense,as boring as it might look, works in concert with the defense to win games. The offense is ball control for a reason...keeps that defense off the field,or tries to,anyway.
I heard Jerry Dinardo of the BTN break this down on the radio the other day when discussing the defensive issues at Michigan and NW late in the year....he says that their spread offenses will never lend themselves to having good defense due to the nature of the offense...not enough ball control. Now, NW with persa had good ball control,but with his backup,not so much.

Iowa had some breakdowns at critical times this year,no doubt. Special teams really cost Iowa the Az,Wisky,Minny,NW and OSU games....missed field goals,blown snaps,blocked punt,missed PAT,fake punts, contributed to those losses.

I am not adverse to KF tweaking the offense or the defense,gameplanning for NW dink and dunk,whatever....but I am not going to sit here and accept that Iowa football has underperformed under KF.
Have you ever had to try to recruit a hot shot florida player to even come and visit a frigid Iowa City in january? Then get them to sign on for 5 winters up north?
I suspect it aint easy.

Latest posts